Amplifier Problems...Please Help

Username: Emoney2

Boyceville, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 8
I have a v-2800 Crunch amplifier. When the car is running the amplifier cuts out even when the volume and the bass isnt turned up that high, but then when the car is off the i can cranked the volume and bass as loud as i want w/o it cutting out. Any ideas on whats wrong? Possible bad ground wire connections>???

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 594
Possible bad ground connections are your running the amp at too low of an ohm load. When the car is off its not getting as much voltage so its not a problem but when you turn it on it gets more voltage therefore causing it to shut off.

Post Number: 9
It doesnt seem to matter where the amplifier is set as far as the gain, low pass, and high pass. My capcitor jumps around a lot though...and im told that it should never dip below 12 and mine often does.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4405
you need to upgrade the alternator. you're overstressing it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Ok...well it how big do i need to go....i think it has a 120 in it right now. I have two amps hooked up to my system....totaling around 2000 watts...and how much is this gonna cost me?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Ok...well how big do i need to go....i think it has a 120 in it right now. I have two amps hooked up to my system....totaling around 2000 watts...are u sure this is the problem or could it be something else???

Silver Member
Username: Soccer

Post Number: 285
I'de say about 180-200Amps

Username: Kaosr

Post Number: 4
2000 max would not mess with the alternator.Id check ground or maybe your setof RCAs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 288
Well, my stock alt. was a 90 Amp, until I installed a 540 W max Flex 356 amp from Alpine. I soon realized I should upgrade the alt. and have installed one of 130Amps. Have no probs, now!
Enjoy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Joao, What kind of problems did you have with your system before you up graded the alt?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4421
2000 watts RMS total?
that's 200A of current at full output if both amps are class D. more if one or both are class AB.

that's far beyond the capabilities of any stock alternator. You'll want to look for something in at least the 200A range, since I doubt you run the amps at full output for long periods. a 200A alternator will be between $250-500+ depending on the car.
try mralternator.com
4alterstart.com
and ebay

Silver Member

Post Number: 292
Well I had it installed by a pro. Later, (2-3 days) the amp started heating and in 30 seconds it shut down. Glasswolf gave one heck of a help then! I couldn't afford to spend another 3-4 days without the car, so I started checking all wiring. First, the front soldered connections were all badly made, and indangered the doors metal. Then, it was the ground. Finally, it was the shelf plugs that didn't have its terminals well crimped. By then, I already changed an alt. regulator and a battery. After all connections made perfect WITH the RIGHT TOOLS, the amp wouldn't cut out but kept draining the regulator and lasted for only a month. I upgraded the alt and never had probs. again. In alt issues, Glass's always right.
Enjoy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us