I need a new amp and a suggestion...

Username: Throwdest

Post Number: 1
Aight I got 2 10" Audiobahns in a bandpass box. Right now I got them hooked up to a 4 channel american legacy 400watt amp and they beat a little bit, but not like i would like them too. The sub's are pushin 300rms each and since its a 4 channel amp and its not bridged(dont know how to do it), they aint getting what they could atleast be getting. Now heres my situation, I know i got a cheap amp, but I got it close to nothing. I need to know what kind of amp do yall think would handle to 10's with 300 rms and get everything out of em that It can? I was thinking about getting a 2 channel 800watt legacy amp just to get by with until I get some more money, but there amps suck to me. But Im not tryin to spend about 400 dollars on a fosgate amp that aint pushin nothing. Im sorry if I sound like I'm new to this, its cause I am. I'm just learning. So someone let me know what would be a good amp for my subs.

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 336
Kyle FORGET about legacy amps. If ya want to know why that 400 watt legacy amp you have now is not pushing them it is because the amp is only putting out about 60 watts total. If you want the most from those subs you will need to get you a JBL600.1. Are if you insist on a Legacy amp you will need to get a legacy blue series 2400 watts.
But I would go for the JBL it will sound a LOT better and the JBL amp will last you a lot longer then then 1 month. Good Luck

Silver Member
Username: Davids2004

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 333
If you can wire those subs at 2 ohms take a look at the xtant A6001T on ebay or the jbl 600.1 that Jay mentioned. The xtant is gonna have more features but the jbl will be cheaper. They are both gonna put our their rated power just one has more features then the other. Take a look at ebay for both amps.

Post Number: 2
thanks for the advice...and i deffinitly dont insist on a legacy, i just aint got the money to be shellin out on some expensive amp. Bad thing is, after doing some research, my amp's not even bridgable. I was gonna bridge it and hope I got more power to em, but I guess thats out of the question. I just looked at the JBL600.1 and it said its a mono amp...

Post Number: 3
Can you wire them at 2 ohm? my friend knows how to do all that, so if its possible please let me know. he said he just needed a wiring diagram or somthing along them lines.

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 337
What is the model # on the subs and ill let you know.

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 337
Hey Kyle what kind of Audiobahns are those. Are they SVC or DVC and what is the ohms on the voice coils? Let me know and it will tell you what you will need to do and how to wire them. Oh and later if you get the money that Xtant amp would be a lot better that Davids said above. But the JBL will work great for you now. They are great amps for the money.

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 338
HAHA Davids you asked the same question I did. lol
Also about that Xtant amp (Davids) have you ever had one are heard one. Do they have decent features on them? I may end up getting one of those.

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 339
Jay-J,

I had one but didnt have the money to get my subs at the time so didnt want the amp just sitting around. I sold it to a guy and he has it hooked up to a jl audio 15 inch sub not sure on model number. I think its like a 15W3. 500 rms sub. He bought the xtant A3001 amp from me. He had a guy hook it up that does jl audio stuff. I asked him what the guy thought about it. The guy said it put out more power then he thought and he should have ran a seperate 4 gauge power wire for the amp becuase of the power it pulls. He said it rattled down his rear view mirror and cracked it. I love the features it has on it. Has features of your high dollar amps. Has an adjustable subsonic filter on it from 20-80 hz, has a bass boost on it from 0-12 hz centered at 45hz, has the remote bass control option on it also. Has a variable crossover on it centered at 24 hz and adjustable from 40-120hz. It capable of taking up to 16 volts from headunit. Has a regulated power supply similar to jl audios excpet it does different wattages at different ohms but puts out the same wattage from 1.8-14.4 volts.

Here is a link to the new model of the amp im talking about. All the features or the same just a different model #.

http://xtant.com/html/products/xtant3.1.cfm

Here are reviews from www.carreview.com

http://carreview.com/Amplifiers/Xtant/PRD_129506_1806crx.aspx

4.67 out of 5.

Can be had on ebay for no more then 150.00 shipped. I got mine from electronics delivered for 130.00 shipped. Got it in like 3-4 days.

So you can make your own judgement from that.

Post Number: 4
The model is ABP10T

here exactly what I have...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5707246783&ssPageName=ST RK:MEWN:IT

Silver Member

Houston, TX USA

Post Number: 355
From looking at the desc they look like they are svc 4 ohm subs. I would get the xtant A6001T amp and that will give you 300 rms per sub and from the desc each sub handles 300 rms. Another amp you can look at would be the jbl 600.1. Both amps will give you the 300 rms but IMO I would go with the xtant. Since that box is ported you will want a subsonic filter which the xtant has. So check on ebay for the xtant but the jbl will suit you needs.

Post Number: 5
I'll probally get the xtant but explain to me how to hook a 1 channel amp to 2 subs? And can I wire them at 2 ohm? I appreciate your helping me on this, like I said, I'm new to all this.

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 344
Kyle heres a diagram for ya. This should help you.

Option #1

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO-rgbtcspd/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wi ring.html?subs=2&impedance=SVC4

Post Number: 6
So I unplug the speaker wire from the amp and splice it to the other wire and have them both running on one wire to the amp?

Unregistered guest
No, don't splice the wire. Connect another speaker wire to the terminal on the sub and run it to the next sub.

Post Number: 7
so I take both my speaker wires and twist them together positive and negative together, then get another speaker wire and connect it to them, then plug it into the amp?

seems like splicing would do the same and save me from having to get some new speaker wire.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us