I might change things up so I got a couple questions

Gold Member
Username: Ducka

Shelby Twp., MI United States

Post Number: 1517
Hey guys, I was thinking about changing my setup from 2 12"IDMAX 4cuft ported at 37hz( i know that is tuned far too high for the idmaxes) on a saz2000d @1 ohm to 4 alpine type r 12s sealed in a 5cuft box on the same amp, but wired to .5ohm.

Pretty sure I know the answers to my questions, but just looking for confirmation/ personal oppinions.

First off, the sundown saz2000d will handle .5ohms daily right(so long as I keep my voltage above 12v)? I think I read somewhere that it was originally warranteed for that. Anyone know or have an idea as to how much power it would have at .5 ohm? Im thinking around 3000wrms-ish.

I assume that the 4 type r's will be louder due to more cone area and more power. doubling cone area gives about +3db, going from ported to sealed I will lose about 3db, but having the amp at a .5 ohm should produce about 1.5 times more power so about +1.5db

I am not too sure how/if sound quality will change.

Since I already have 2 type r's collecting dust I figured I would spend just a little bit of money and pick up 2 more for an alternate system. I also plan on building a new box for the idmaxs 5cuft @ 28hz.

Anyone know where I can pick up 2 d4ohm alpine type r 12s (version 2) for the cheap? Preferrably used, but still good condition.

Please let me know what you think and if there is anything wrong with what I assumed.

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8298
your so dumb,,

those idmaxes are like one of the best woofers ever made...

make a better box for it.. also those id max are superb sound quality subs..

but if you want ugly sounding bass well go for spl

yes it will be alouder 4 12's with the same power as the idmaxes but your id maxes will sound sooo much better..

by the way yes your box is tuned too high.. try 32-35hz and 4.5cb ft

dont change it .. keep the id maxes just try diferent boxes...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1518
Yeah I actually had a change of heart mostly because I realized that even though the sundown can put out 3000w i dont have the electrical for it anyway. I was never planning on getting rid of the idmaxs, just doing something different. also because I dont have the room to port 4 type rs it would probably be pretty pointless.

Idk seemed like a good idea at the time, but I think your right.

Silver Member
Username: Mystre

Pemberville, Ohio USA

Post Number: 454
Yea he's right except for saying your so dumb. C'mon, it's one man's opinion and it's his stuff, not yours. Only God can judge me.

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8300
judge him..

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15313
glad you decided to keep the idmaxes bro

Gold Member

Post Number: 1519
Like I said I was never planning on getting rid of them, I was just going to do 4 type rs as a second system.
I really need to get some free time so that I can build them a nice box.

What would you guys recommend for them?

I was thinking 5.18 cuft(before displacement after I think it will be around 4.3cuft and I think that is about as big as I can fit) @30hz

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16691
as much as i love type R's the 12 idmax r@pes it in every possible way u can think of - its a far superior sub & the SQL output from it is fackin AMAZING !!!!

i found my single 12" idmax is too loud ported for daily sq use so i went sealed which gives the flattest response & blended in with my front stage ...had 2 10" RE SE sealed b4 & ppl who heard the idmax sealed say its about the same if not louder than those 2 10s

imho tuning a idmax over 33hz is a total waste - personally i wud never cross 30hz tuning , if u d\l the pdf file

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/manuals/iDMax/iDMax12D4V3.pdf

u will see a large 2.72cuft with 1 4" aeroport - i had a box similar to that & it was AWESOME : do that & trust me with a single 12 u will find it hard to breath , so with 2 subs u def wont feel the need to change ur set in a hurry ...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1521
Is that 2.72 before or after sub&port displacement?
I only have about 5cuft to work with so Ill probably just build it as big as I can.

I should mention I have the V.2 , not the V.3. The recommended enclosure sizes are pretty different for the subs being so similar.

I have one of the sheets that came with one of my subs, but to make it easier for everyone:
http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/pdf/iD%20Discontinued%20Speakers%20and%20Eletron ics/IDMax12%20d4%20V.2.pdf

Any recommendations for box design?
Car is a 99 olds alero 4dr.

I currently have subs and ports firing back. I have tried both firing forward(into the cabin), but firing back seems to be louder and have more punch to it. Pretty weird, because Nick V has the same car and forward is louder for him. My only explanations would be that its the leather in my car, or Nick V's mad skills(most likely Nick V's mad skills ).

Would subs up and ports back, or another combination work better? I know, I know thats something that is probably impossible to tell for sure and that I would have to try for myself, but I'm just trying to save myself some time/money.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16693
oh u have the v2 - the t\s specs look considerably different especially the fs which is 27 vs 20 for v3

better u go with what they recommended for that v2 or ur best bet wud be to go the ID forum & ask eric stevens himself , he is DA MAN when it comes to fantastic customer service ...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1527
Man, I thought ecoustics had a slow response time to questions. It is nothing compared to the Imagedynamics forum. Posted on there Sept 22nd And have only gotten 2 replies and 63 views(most of which are probably mine) since. I cant speak for the rest of the forum, but the fabrication section goes days without posts. The last post was by me on the 24th lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16701
did u pm eric stevens ?

if u did u shud have gotten a response within a day ...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1528
No, I only posted on the forum.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1529
I keep hearing differently so I want to get it straight.

For a 5cuft box with 2 12"idmaxes on 2000wrms will 2 4" flared aero ports provide enough port area? On the ID website eric stevens said I would need 4 4" ports, but Here I have heard 2 would be fine. Probably going with somewhere between 30 and 32hz for a tune.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us