Need an appropriate most powerful amp for my 12" DVC's.....Please help...

Username: Dj_marshall_d

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone,
I am confused with what I previously thought was a simple principal concerning the laws of OHM's. Here is my situation......
I have 2 4ohm 12" Rockford Fosgate RFD2212's that I need to get an amp for....they are rated at 500RMS each, here is where I get confused....there are a million ways of different configurations with all being at different ohms refering to the amp and the subs.
I wanted to know about the different configurations that I can access for maxium output......or even better.........I just need to know is how many watts do I need (RMS) to each voice coil and at how many ohms... Its very simple with a single speaker,but with DVS's....there are loads of combinations and Im not totally clear if I should match the amp to the subs or the other way around?
The second seems most logical but I am unclear and would love a clarification. Thank you so much from anybody within earshot ;)
Marshall

Post Number: 2
I think I paid too much attention to my question, here it is better said,
I need an amp to drive these subs for a perfect match with the speakers for maxium output.so.......how many channels should the amp be and in what configuration should I do this to obtain my goal?
Thanks again, Marshall

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 760
What you need is a mono amp that does 1000wrms @1ohm. Wire your subs like this

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/woofer_configurations.asp?Q=2&I=42

I can help find an amp,if you tell me what you want to spend. Budget?

Post Number: 4
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply Jbpitt. It is very appriciated.
Heres my situation. I have these 2 12"s and I have a lot of questions concerning choosing an amp. Hypothetically, if money was no object, how would I choose an amp, and a way to get the most power out of that amp to drive these 2 subs to hit the hardest?
I understand how to wire DVC's for different configurations, but I cant understand the science or difference of putting 500 watts to one voice coil as opposed to putting 250 watts into each voice coil of a single DVC speaker..ie...250 x 2. Which way would it be louder and more powerful? Or does it not matter?
Also, at what ohm would make the most power? And what is the most RMS I could push into these 2 subs?
Since each speaker is able to handle 500 RMS...Should I get a mono amp putting out ie....(1000 )watts into one channel at 1 ohm? Or 500 watts into 2 channels at 2 ohm? or 250 Watt into 4 channels at 4 ohm?
Im sorry if Im being a bit confusing,...to me,..all appears the same..I just want to know the advantages and disadvantages of how to run these differently as stated above.
As far as my budget, would like to spend between 150 and 300 for an amp. Thanks again and Illl be awaiting your reply. -Marshall

Post Number: 5
Sorry, i seem to be repeating myself ....this just gets me really, really confused. I know what I have to do like you told me but at the same time, i would like to learn and UNDERSTAND why as well. Please be gentle LOL
-marshall
Oh yeah, One other thing.......what kind of box and how many cid would I have to build to power these subs to get them to hit the hardest?
I like to call myself an audiofile....I dont want ALL bass like most ppl, I love to hear my powerful midrange and sparkling tweeters just as much.
I have a few questions as well concering them too. But that can wait for now.

Silver Member
Username: Jbpitt

Pittsburgh, Pa. Usa

Post Number: 764
Yea im a little confused by your question.lol
Take a look at this site,maybe you can find your answers there.

http://glasswolf.net/papers/index.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us