Using bass boost...?

Bronze Member
Username: K10

Post Number: 21
Hi,

I just set the gains on my amps with a DMM according to Glasswolf's tech paper. The problem is I am not satisfied with the amount of bass I am getting. If I use the bass boost switch on my sub amp, it increases 18db @ 40 hz (it is just a switch, not a knob, so it is +18db or 0) and sounds much louder, but I am worried about damaging my system or something...

My sub amp is a Power Acoustik Gothic ov2-1600 (310x2 RMS @ 4ohms) and my two subs are Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1s (350 RMS @ 4ohms each).

So my questions are: 1) Will it cause potential damage to my subs or amp if I use this bass boost, and 2) Is there a better way to boost my bass besides using the bass boost switch on my amp (head unit controls, messing with amp gain, etc.)?

Thanks

Bronze Member
Username: K10

Post Number: 22
Also I want to mention that there is a bass boost o, bass boost 1, and bass boost 2 on my HU and I have it at 0. The frequency curve for my HU is flat.

One other thing... My HU has 2 sets of RCA preouts and my subs are connected to the rear ones. So maybe I can adjust my fader toward the back and turn the wolume up to get more bass... or would I have to mess with my gains again and end up at square one?

I just want to know how to effectively make my subs hit harder without causing distortion or damage. Preferably I'd like to keep my SQ as high as possible too.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11194
You'd be better off just turning up the gain, or sub level on the HU than using bass boost. That will give you an overall volume increase, bass boost boosts around one specific frequency.

Silver Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 940
Or going with a little better quality amp that will produce a little more power than you need for your subs. Adjust the gain down some and you'll have plenty of head room and be giving them plenty of clean power.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us