Do I need a new Alt?

Username: Jgarrison

Saint Petersburg, FL

Post Number: 5
I'm in the process of putting together a new build, and I've run into a road block. I'm looking at getting 1 15" Fi BTL and ~2000 watt amp, but I'm not sure if my electrical can handle it. heres what I have:

135amp alternator
1 battery with 3 numbers on it: 1000amp crank; 850; 150 reserve (I don't know what those mean)
I haven't done the big 3 yet, but when I get my wiring kit I'll use the left overs from that to do it.

Whats the largest amp you would suggest getting?

Thanks,
Joe

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5071
Is the 2000 watts RMS or peak? You'll need to calculate amperage draw based on this:

step 1: Find out how much RMS wattage your amplifier will produce based on the load presented by your speakers.
step 2: Divide this number by 12 (volts)
step 3: Take the resulting number and multiply by the factor below, based on the amplifier type:
Class AB: *1.4
Class T or D: *1.2
step 4: Add the totals together if there is more than one amplifier in the system
step 5: add your stock alternator's HOT current rating to this figure.
The total you get is the amount of current your car and audio system will draw at peak output.

source: http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/charging.html

Be aware that your alt really only has 20-40A to spare (that might even be generous), the car and its electrical systems use the rest. What kind of car do you own?

Based on what you've told us (and I appreciate you knowing your actual alt output amperage), I would estimate you could have a max of 500w RMS from an aftermarket amp.

A few other notes of interest: amount or size of batteries doesn't matter, for more info go here: http://spinsharp.wordpress.com/2009/09/30/charging-systems-batteries-part-3/

Don't do the big 3 unless you've upgraded your alternator. There's really no need for it unless your current alt wiring is deteriorating/has problems.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, SC USA

Post Number: 13115
with a BTL you're obviously an SPL guy, so you want it loud. If you plan to use this setup while the car is running then yes you're going to want a high output alternator (at least 150-200A) for that 2Kw amplifier, plus whatever amp you use for the rest of your speakers.
If you plan to use the car just for competition, you'll want a bank of deep cycle isolated batteries instead, since burping in most sanctioned events is done with the engine turned off anyway.

Username: Jgarrison

Saint Petersburg, FL

Post Number: 6
Ok, thanks for the help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us