Amp choices

Username: Drinsano

Michigan

Post Number: 1
ok, I'm looking for the best possible amp to power my Infinity Perfect 12.1D Subwoofer (DVC 2 4ohm) I'm looking at an Alpine MRP-M350 or MTX Thunder421D right now, as they fall in my price range (300 or less) Any Recomendations? and btw that Perfect's spec sheet is at

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA+PERFECT12.1D' &Ser=KPE&Cat=SUB

Please Reply Thanks!

Anonymous

bump so someone that knows what they are talking about kinda can help

Michigan

Post Number: 2
Bump, anyone feel like helping me out?

Username: Yogi

Post Number: 2
I think you should go on ebay and look for a rockford fosgate amp. They sel band new amps in your price range that would really make your subs beg for merce.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3547
the MTX is the better amp.

Anonymous

get the MTX 1501D bigest MTX thats out there for 360 with shipin from ebay :-)

Michigan

Post Number: 3
I would Anon, but I'm planning on just running my single perfect, :-) I don't want bass that will knock me over, but bass that compliments my music. GlassWolf would you go for the 420Thunder or the 810Thunder? The way MTX lists their wattage has me all confused it says 300 RMS for the 420 and 420 Dynamic, what the heck is dynamic power? also the 810 is listed at 500RMS which is what Infinity has their spec sheets listed, which would you choose, AND for 30 dollars more I could get a Zapco 500.1 would that be a better choice?
Thanks

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3551
if you're running a single sub, it's better to get a 4 ohm sub, and use an amp that puts out the required power at 4 ohms. if you can run the amp at 4 ohms, it'll improve damping, help your S/N ratio, and lower distortion. You get overall better SQ, but of course you're buying an amp that will produce twice the power since it would need to make for example 300 watts @ 4 ohms instead of 300w @ 2 ohms, so it costs more to do this, and can be hard to find bigger amps.

I'm running my next system with all class AB amps at 4 ohms. takes more space, and more money, but runs cooler and sounds better.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3552
remember, the amplifier power supply can only produce so much power during peak demands.. if the amp is running at 4 ohms, it has a lot more headroom, and reserve juice for those peak transients than it would if it's already being run closer to it's limits by producing more power at 2 ohms.
just some food for thought. :-)

Michigan

Post Number: 4
thanks Glasswolf, I have just one problem I'm stuck at 2 ohms because I have a DVC 4 ohm sub :-(
With that in mind I'm really looking at having to get some sort of class D amp simply because any more than one channel would be wasted unless I could bridge and still run at 2 Ohms... lol my old Sony 1000 ran bridged at 2 ohms untill it blew :p

But anyways, back to my real issue I'm looking at acaraudio.com because people at this site seem to like it, and they have a Zapco 500.1 for 330 I believe, an MTX THUNDER810 for 299 and for 209 or so I can get an MTX Thunder421 all three are class D, my only fear is on the thunder 810, it says 810 watts at 14.4volts, isn't that the CEA standard? if so that would probally be too much for my single perfect, but then again it lists its own RMS at 500 watts at the MTX website (they test RMS at 12.5 volts) What do you think, is there any reason I should get the larger MTX or Zapco amp over the Thunder 420? or can you think of an amp that would suit my situation better (2 ohm load looking for between 400 and 500 RMS) sorry I'm such a noob, these forums have really opened my eyes, lol I always was told Audiobahn was a nice company :P
Thanks

Michigan

Post Number: 7
Also, anyone have any expierence with the Soundstream RUB500/1? I found it for 160 and it seems to have all the features I need, but at that price the amp prob sux, please answer my posts all :-) or say anything that might be helpful:P

afds
Unregistered guest
bumpedy bump bump
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us