This is dumb but a ? nonetheless

Anonymous

will someone explain the meaning of channels on a amp. I have to guess's cause i am new to this. does it mean that for each sub that you hook to it you get a channel or is it a high low thing.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 3487
"stereo" is two channels.
left channel and right channel.
a different signal is produced by each channel in a stereo setup to produce the illusion of depth through channel separation.

in the case of a car audio system, you usually have 6 channels. front left and right, rear left and right, and subwoofer left and right.
the actual audio signal is split into left and right stereo channel information.

for more info, see www.bcae1.com

Username: Binodog

Bassett, Ne United States

Post Number: 8
so if i wanted all my amp power to go to my subs a two channel amp would do the trick i mean thats what i have done in the past and i figured thats what that mean i was just not sure and i needed verifacation.

Bronze Member
Username: Grmncrsnbr

VA

Post Number: 39
you can do it with a mono amp too by running the subs in either parallel or series. This is usually recommended as mono amps are desgned for subs and come in the class d rating which is more efficient

Username: Binodog

Bassett, Ne United States

Post Number: 9
I have heard of that too i might just try giving it a try and see how each method sounds. Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us