200W headunit.. now what

Username: Kelly10

Post Number: 1
hey this is a noobie question.
for my '95 ford contour, is it better to get 2 pairs of 4way 240W peak speakers (like pioneer 6x8's), or One pair 6x8's with an amp and subs?

im on a budget of around $300.
if the second choice is the better one, can anyone give me sum suggestions for how powerful an amp?

Bronze Member
Username: 88retta

Farmtown, Oh

Post Number: 25
just get some 6x9's for the back, and maybe some new tweaters for the front, your deck should be powerfull enough to be able to hear the highs and not have the lows cover it up.

Bronze Member
Username: Jayj

Post Number: 29
get one pair of 6x8s and one sub and a small amp to push it. Try to match the RMS rated about the same.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
Oh and the sub you could get a Kicker CompVR 10 with 2+2 ohm voice coils and a JBL 300.1. the sub can be picked up for about $80.00 here.

www.acaraudio.com

And the amp could be picked up for about $140.00 here.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/JBLBP3001

this should sound better then 2 pairs of 6x8s
hope this helps you good luck

Bronze Member
Username: Jamtochristian

Penn State , Pennsylvania USA of course!

Post Number: 52
To be honest, I owned the infinity 6x8/5x7's, and they were good, but to be honest, they didn't do the mids that well, and the lows weren't exactly great either, and that was with the infinity Kappa's! Please, its probably best if you stay clear of oval speakers, and go with either a component set, or if you must, just go with some 6 1/2 speakers, prolly 3 way. You'll like them much better, you'll have better mid range, and it'll be a better all around speaker. They make adapter plates that'll allow you to adapt some different size circle speakers in there, or you can always make an adapter of your own if you're feeling up to the challenge. It's probably the best option for you, take my advice on this one, I know first hand what 6x8's are capable of, and its just not enough. Their lower frequencies reach distortion very quickly.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
Well I was going with the theme of 6x8s but with the choice of course I'd say go for 6 1/2 too its up to you but donald is right about the sound of oval speakers so yeah I'd say get the 6 1/2in speakers and the sub I said above.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us