Can a memphis 16-mcd1000 push 12w7?

Username: Munchy6132

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone im new to this so bare with me! i am tryin to upgrade my system currently i am running two 12" diamond d3 subs in a JL H.O. box pushed by a a rockford 501s. now this set up sounded great in my durango but I just bought a cadillac DTS. And i also bought the 12w7 and the 16-mcd1000 memphis. I got everything installed and it sounded like crap!! what did i do wrong or is this not going to work? PLEASE HELP MY CAR IS CRYING! (:-(

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6346
your sub is probably only seeing around 400w? off that amp so could be it. also what kind of box is the w7 in? and when you say sounds like crap what do you mean, not as loud as you were expecting, or the sq is just totally crap? gains set correctly on the amp?

Silver Member
Username: Bonhamd

TC, MI USA

Post Number: 869
i believe the 12W7 comes in single 3 ohms which means you would have to run it at 3 ohms.

it will work but probably not as much power as you hoped

your amp specs

300 watts x 1 chan. @ 4 ohms
600 watts x 1 chan. @ 2 ohms
1100 watts x 1 chan. @ 1 ohm

at 3 ohms you are probably putting about 4-500 RMS on the W7

i think you should sell your amp and buy an amp that will do around 1200 RMS into 2 ohms

Post Number: 2
its not as loud as i want it to be will that amp push a m3 mojo? and are they better than a 12w7?

Post Number: 3
Also what would be the better system the memphis or jl?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6347
you could make a nice system out of either, really depends on the person and thier tastes. and no, that amp wouldn't be enough for a mojo. would it work, yes, but i want to say a mojo is 1500wrms, but can handle quite a bit more daily. just keep your sub and buy a bigger amp.

and it's probably not as loud as you were expecting due to underpowering it alot, possibly box (not sure since you haven't posted it) and you went from an suv to a trunk car.

Post Number: 4
The 12 w7 is in the small black powerwedge box with the 3 bars across sealed. So it would be best to just get a jl 1000/1

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6349
i'd choose the alpine pdx 1000.1 over the jl 1000/1.

Post Number: 5
may i ask why?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 6351
more efficient, does the same power (maybe a tad more, not 100%) for cheaper, same wiring options as the 1000/1, looks better imo, stackable (if you ever run another pdx amp in the future), and cheaper. but not cheaper cause it's junk though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us