Ohms? Wiring? Explanation please (Glasswolf? Jonathan? Anyone?)

Sig Pikul
Unregistered guest
Ok I need help! I'm in the market to power my 2 10" Infinity Reference Subs and the more I research the more that power ratings etc confuse me.

Ohm: I know from my home theatre experience that Ohms are impedence, and less impedence means more efficently using your power. But how is it that if I hook 2 subwoofers up to the same mono amp it lowers the impedence and gives me twice the power? This doesn't make sense to me! I also hear mention about it making the subwoofers hit at the same time, by all means thats what I want, how do I do this?

Bridging: Is it better to go with a 2 channel amp and bridge it and if so why does that give it more power?

Basically im just confused, so if someone can tell me how to wire/ what to look for in an amp/ohm/channel situation if I want my two subwoofers to hit at the same time and get their 250 watts rms. Help with this would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Also how would i physically wire the subs to the amp to get this?

If someone can explain this series parellel thing to me too that would be great.

Silver Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 188
When two 4 ohm loads are connected in parallel, the resistance cuts in half because the current has more paths to flow. Think of electricity as being like a water hose. Splitting a hose into two water hoses will have less resistance than one and will allow the capability of more water flow. That's why the resistance drops if you hook two subs on a mono amp. Bridging is better for power when you have 2 channel amp, but a mono with the same power will pull less current, put out less heat, and be cheaper per watt. Subs on a mono amp hit at the same time because they both get the same signal. Hook your Infinity's up in parallel (both wires to the same terminal) to the amp, which creates a 2 ohm load, and get an amp that puts out 500W at a 2 ohm load, the power will divide giving each sub 250W RMS.

Unregistered guest
yeah i want to get a 4-12 cab for my guitar amp and the extension speaker jacks on my amp are 8ohms minimum and the cab is 16ohms mono. can i run the cab at full power without overloading, static or damaging anything?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us