Do I need Capacitor?

Username: Fastshift

Post Number: 1
i have alpine mrp-m650 whose output is 600W at 2ohm, and 400W at 4 ohm, and im planning of getting 2 alpine swr-1022D subs that are 500 RMS Watt and 900 peek each. i'd like to hook them up with net resistence 2ohm and send out 300W for each subs,, i guess?

so, do i need a capacitor? i asked crutchfield but all they said was, "here is perfect cap for you.."

thats not exactly what i wanted to hear.

my car is 97 accord 4 cylinder nonvtec and i think max output of the alternator is 80A

if i need one, what farad would i need? based on what i gathered from surfin on the internet, i think i need 1.0? 1.2? or higher...
would me car's lights go crazy when i turn my sound up? even a little bit?

if i don't need one, and there will be no problem (I mean "NO". not almost or anything. with music on, would my car's lights look just like they were without the sound?)

i might be asking alot but plz help me. i don't want to be standing on the side of the road waiting sumone to help me with restarting my car because my battery was drained too fast lol

Post Number: 2
actually the peek of swr 1022d is 1500W BTW

this question might sound stupid, but if i use alpine Type S which is 300 RMS, instead of Type R with 500 RMS, would it sound any better since the 300@ W go into 300W which is just enough instead of having 300 in to 500 which is 200@ short?

which would be better? price wise as you know Type S is cheaper

thanks

Post Number: 3
d@mn it, again, i found out that Type R's RMS is 300-500W

idk if it makes any difference but just to let you know...

Silver Member
Username: Torn

Post Number: 363
get whatever you can afford and buy a proper amp to power em, Also the capacitor question is no, you dont need it because it will not help with your lights dimming it's a waste of money also. If your not running a 1,000 watts or more system you're in the clear, it wont hurt your car.

Silver Member
Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 125
My adice to you would be to find out about things before you buy it, like you said the guy just offered you the capacitor rather then giving you a legit answer. You'll find alot of this cos people just want your money.

I also agree with Torn, Capacitor is not needed.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4463
Capacitor won't help.

If your lights dim, that indicates voltage drop. An HO alternator is the only way to fix that.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1422
An external "stiffening" capacitor is NEVER a requirement for a decent amp to run properly, and they don't provide any real assistance to your car's electrical system.

Any improvements they make are entirely subjective. There are people that use them and people that like them, but nobody NEEDS them.

Stores push them like crack because the mark up is so high. The only thing worse is extended warranties.

Silver Member
Username: Cblaze

Rock island, Tenesssee Us

Post Number: 679
no capacitor,its a waste of your money

Post Number: 4
if i get HO alterntor, does that mean i have to get a new battery? cuz i thought i read it sumwhere

Silver Member

Post Number: 367
depends on your setup, h/o alt would charge the battery plenty fast on that system, but i don't think you need one there. also costs over 500$ for some good ones.

Post Number: 5
here is another thing came up in my mind. even with that system, wouldn't it be fine unless i turn it up too loud? well i don't want my sub to blow plus i don't want my ears go out lol.

so if i keep my sound just enough, not too loud,
there should be no problem, right?

just wanna make sure...

Post Number: 6
so when my lights start going weaker, i guess i just need to lower the volume.

Silver Member

Post Number: 369
here was my system i sold a few months back, lights dimmed a lil sometimes but was fine and i alwas had it hella bumping and my alt was 70 amps, i was running a massive audio rs 100 to both subs and a audiobahn A8002t to the mids and i was fine had it like that for a year my alt still runs great after. right now im going to rest a bit before i get another system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzppiXneLXI
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us