Class D mono amp question

Bronze Member
Username: Pnut2110

Post Number: 30
I am planning on running 2 AW1206T subs in my truck. they have 1100RMS at 2 ohms. but i wanted to know if i could use a mono class d amp and run 2 channels out of it and power them or if i should just get 2 amps and run them seperatly?

Silver Member
Username: Clouduz

Post Number: 160
mono amps are the BEST for subs, and you can use one mono amp for 2 subs just make sure the amp you get has power for the ohm level you plan on running them

Silver Member
Username: J_c_wheeler8

Columbus, IN United States

Post Number: 147
Well put icepick, Im dealing with this now. If u have 2 ohm subs, make sure the amp you get is 2 ohms stable..
Like my case, I have 2 4ohm subs which need to have an amp that is 1 ohm stable. Just make sure u get 2 ohm stable and and you will be more than golden, dont get 2 amps, thats a pointless money pit with possibly requiring a battery/alt upgrade.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 1385
Kyle

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6523_Hifonics+BXi+2006D.html

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 3877
"dont get 2 amps, thats a pointless money pit with possibly requiring a battery/alt upgrade."

makes no sense at all. running 1 2000wrms amp will demend an upgraded charging system the same as running 2 1000wrms amps. plus, from what has been posted here several times by others and i have been told the same when asking installers, running 1 amp to each sub is actually better than running a single amp to a pair as you'll pull more current. the only benefit to running a single amp rather than multiple amps imo is the ease of setting the amps.

Silver Member

Post Number: 149
Running 1 amp @ 1100RMS is borderline for a battery/alt upgrade. Im going to be running this, but have been told I can get away without having to upgrade any. Its also cheaper to run 1 amp than 2, that way you dont have to get a "amp splitter" or whatever the fancy name is. Plus, you probably pay more getting 2 amps running the same rms than just getting 1 amp at double the rms. It all depends on what kind of amp your looking at..

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3878
again read what you posted. say your running 2000wrms, whether or not it's from 1 amp or 2 you're still going to need to upgrade. also, i'd say 1000wrms would be about borderline, but again i've heard of 800wrms killing a car. you should really upgrade imo cause i don't think you'll see the full power of whatever amp you plan on running.

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
"say your running 2000wrms, whether or not it's from 1 amp or 2 you're still going to need to upgrade"

Say I was running 2000wrms, my response would have been different, 2000wrms requires an essential upgrade

"1000wrms would be about borderline, but again i've heard of 800wrms killing a car"

1000wrms i agree would be borderline, I have an Acura Legend LS, brand new it was closed to a $50k car becuase it was fully loaded. I dont think they would have threw a shitty alt on there given that they did everything else. Im getting 2 Type R's and they suggest 500wrms each, and if your last name is Einsten, you could tell me that that's 1000wrms. I'm not planning on powering them to push more than that, not because they cant, but because I would at least like enjoy my hearing past age 30.

Gold Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 1387
upgrade your charging system

The subs are 1100RMS each dual 4ohm

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3880
"I dont think they would have threw a shitty alt on there given that they did everything else"

no, i doubt they threw in a shi_tty alt., it's just when a car is made they don't throw in a alt. geared for running a system. if they did there wouldn't be a need for companies that make ho alts'. also, please reread what you posted to what i was referring to. you said running 2 amps is pointless and poswsibly requires a battery/alt. upgrade. i was making a point since you didn't seem to understand that running a single mono amp can also require a charging system upgrade just as easily as running multiple amps. it's not the number of amps that determine the need of an upgrade, as your post made it seem, but the power of the amps being ran.

Silver Member

Post Number: 153
"a pointless money pit"
Keyword: 'Money'

I already explained myself, enough with this thread.. we're getting absolutely nowhere..

Bronze Member
Username: Pnut2110

Post Number: 31
haha wow really appreciate all the help yall!

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3911
so what is the vc of the subs? and your budget? and by the looks of it you are going to need to upgrade the charging system in your car.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4377
aw 1206T are from audiobahn. Don't get that sh1t please

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11864
remember power handling specs on speakers are a thermal rating for how much heat the coils can handle without melting.
it has nothing to do with how much power the subs need to actually peform to their physical limits.

audiobahns have high power ratings but require far less than "rated" power to reach Xmax.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us