Capacitor or Second Battery??

Bronze Member
Username: Wylie_coyote

Post Number: 11
so the capacitor stores like a resevoir of power for the amp so it stops things like the disco effect in the car. but the second battery can also have this affect and power big sounds, the point of this thread is to find out which is the better option, personally i use the second battery

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 641
2nd batt no doubt

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
wts ur reasoning behind it though, because the second battery would be pushing the alternator quite a bit aswell. now in my first car the second battery was the one that was getting charged and the front battery was drained flat
(dint realise till i took the 2nd one out and the car wudnt satrt) i know there are ways around this but its too expensive an option for me.

give me specifics people, lets get to the bottom of this once and or all

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 642
i dont have my own reasoning or theory or whatever but every where you read it says that capacitors are not needed and a extra battery is always nice

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11804
we've been over this already

http://www.bcae1.com/capacitr.htm
http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/newmain/battcapalt/
http://www.bcae1.com/charging.htm
http://www.bcae1.com/chargin2.htm
http://www.bcae1.com/battiso.htm
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

an isolated battery will stablize voltage rails when the car is turned off, and will protect the starter battery.
a capacitor's voltage rails parallel the charging system voltage rails. unless you have a sufficient alternator, the capacitor does NOTHING to help the charging system. N O T H I N G
what you should probably look into is a high output alternator, since that's the sole source of current when the engine is running in your car.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
sorry mate didn't realise its already been covered

Silver Member
Username: Trey4sports

Post Number: 913
its cool, GW is a legend around these forums

Username: Misifus

Post Number: 6
hey... i just bought a car and it came 2 amps 4 speakers and 2 subs... but i dont know anything about stereos and if i want to play it when the car is not runing it only plays for like 20minutes then it wont start ...what should i do??

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11810
get a battery isolator and a second battery to use as a dedicated audio battery.
that way when the battery is run into the ground (deep cycle) the starter battery still works

Username: Justin_15_07

Manitou Beach, Michigan United States

Post Number: 2
To be honest, i wired up a sufficient cap to my old system, and 3 years no problems. I upgraded to much more powerful system, so my cap doesnt do anything, lights dim, battery gauge flops around. When gettin a cap use the formula of .5 farad for every 500 watts max

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1406
" Capacitor or Second Battery?? "

None of the above. HO alternator.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
getting a new alternator is too expensive, and in some cases unneccessary, you gotta first find the right one and then get it fitted, i don't think its worth the hassle unless u got some big time system

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11848
if the alternator is too expensive for yu, then buy smaller amplifiers.
end of story.
the alternator is the sole source of current in a running car. the batteries should be in a charge-state, and capacitor voltages parallel the circuit voltage rails, so if the alternator can't keep up, a capacitor can't do a thing about it.

Now, you can believe what you like, but for the record, I have a little experience in this field.. 20 years OTJ, master installer, and electrical engineering degree. I have a fairly good understanding of charging systems in cars.
just for what it's worth.

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1421
" i don't think its worth the hassle unless u got some big time system "

Then you need to do some reading about how electrical systems work......

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

15 INCH WANG...

Post Number: 624
I agree with M.S and GW. I also have a massive amount of knowledge in this field.

Bronze Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Post Number: 39
or u can do the big 3 first then see if HO alt. is needed

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 404
ho alts lose gas mileage>? d*mn

Bronze Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Post Number: 42
so then do the big 3, see if it improves

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4388
"ho alts lose gas mileage>? d*mn"

But not too much... almost like a running car with A/C on

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11874
the HO alternator will increase drag on the belt driven off the crank, but not enough in most cases to notice.

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 407
lose horsepower glasswolf?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
u know what i was in a corsa 1.2 when i started pushing 1000rms sub with a 1200rms amp and i definately noticed the car started to drag, it improved after i put in the second battery though

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11880
1 horsepower = 746 watts, or 7445 BTU/hour
that should give you a rough idea.
watts = amperes (from the alternator) / 12 (volts)

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6106
"watts = amperes (from the alternator) / 12 (volts)"
What is that formula for? I thought watts always equaled amps*volts.

Username: Ray21388

Charlotte, N.c. Usa

Post Number: 1
I FOUND A STRONGER AMP AND TRIED TO HOOK IT UP AND I DID BUT WE=HEN IT DID NOT WORK I CHECK MY WIRING AND MY FUSE IN THE LIVE WIRE WAS BLOWN RUNNING FROM POSITIVE TERMINAL TO MY AMP. I CHANGED THE FUSE AND ITS KEPT BLOWING SINCE WHAT CAN I DO?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 3951
YOU CAN TURN OFF THE CAPS LOCK AND START YOUR OWN THREAD.

Charlotte, N.c. Usa

Post Number: 3
i just need some help i m not tryin to go through all of that for on simple question

Charlotte, N.c. Usa

Post Number: 4
but whatever i'll do that

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
from the look of that formula the drop in horse power is very small, but does any of it also depend on the engine size of the car i.e smaller engine more noticeable, bigger engine, less noticeable

Ray if you're reading this then most likely the fuse between ur battery and amp is too small, i had the sme problem and thats what it was. also remember that this fuse is there to protect ur batter from overloading incase of a crash so the general rule of bigger is better can be followed, but make sure ur amp has its own fuses

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11890
yeah I meant * not /, sorry. blood pressure was about 100/35 when I typed that and my brain wasn't workin' so well.
anyway, yeah a smaller engine will feel the loss a bit more since the loss is a fairly fixed amount, say 200A for an alternator, nd a smaller engine has less horsepower, thus loses a larger % of the total power.

Still, I had a 150A alternator in a Festiva and never really felt any drag on the engine from it.
System consisted of an Orion 2125SX and a 280GX, both class A/B, with a combined power output of about 820 watts RMS "rated"

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
check this people, i heard that the standard alternators that come in diesel cars are better than the standard alts that come in petrol cars, is this true cos if it is then i need to get me a diesel

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
I have 2 Power Acoustik Lt1920's bridged and each one ran to a audiobahn AW1005N sub. Im curious if this will hurt my altnerator, it will probably be running about 1500RMS watts. If so should i get like a 4.0 Farad cap?

Gold Member

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1562
" check this people, i heard that the standard alternators that come in diesel cars are better than the standard alts that come in petrol cars, is this true cos if it is then i need to get me a diesel "

I don't understand why the f*uck people will do anything to avoid getting an HO alternator when you absolutely cannot run a high powered system without one.

People like me, Glass, Issac, Sinful try to explain to people how an electrical system works but nobody listens......

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11905
diesels have smaller alternators, generally, since all they use aare glow plugs to warm the block. they don't need electricity to fire plugs like a petrol car does.
there is no way around needing a high output alternator if you want to run big amps.
period.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/newmain/battcapalt/ im soo glad i foudn this website, it has cleared up everything

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
listen mate, i understand about needing a high output alternator to run the system and the car, i even know what a capacitor is used for now.

however not all of us are running a big system, the whole point of this thread was to find out what would be the next best alternative for people who aren't running huge systems, now tell me this..why are u geting all emotional and worked up about it? wts wrong with wanting to know if a diesel car comes with a better standard alternator?

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 4423
^^^^ haha.

1- Run smaller sistems. Try learning how to build nice ported boxes so you don't get hungry for bass all the time.

I got a 1200w rms sistem and guess what i did. I stopped all installation cuz when i tried, my voltage was dropping. I decided to save for a HO. Now i got the money and i'm going to buy it.

If you guys want music, then start adding components to suit your needs hahaha lol!

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11912
It's annoying because people ask the same things over and over again and we get tired of answering the same questions.

Geolemon is a good guy. he wrote that betteraudio article on charging systems.
Last time I spoke with him, he was working on a design for a new high excursion XBL^2 based SQ sub, but I have no idea how that's coming as of late.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us