Amp is on but subwoofer not working??

Username: Kold

Post Number: 1
Basically i got a amp and a sub the other day and fitted it in my car.

everything was working, but i notcied little sparks from the wires at the back of the amp (when you moved it abotu) because it would sometimes touch each other (the red wire and the black wire)

the subwoofer used to go out randomly sometimes and come back.

anyway today the subwoofer stopped working altogether but theres still power in the amp because the green light comes on which means the amps ON, but still nothing comes from the sub.

I checked all the wiring and it looks correct. from grouding, to remote cable... everything seems in order.

anyone know whats wrong?

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

Post Number: 242
wow, if ur grnd, and power wires touched that couldve been really bad. push on the cone of tha sub and see if u hear n e scractching noises comin from tha subs. also is there a burning smell??? always check ur fuses. wen those wires touched it could have shorted ur amp out. or melted ur coils, thrs so much that couldve gone wrong, all u can do is hope 4 tha best

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

Hamilton, Indiana United states

Post Number: 1287
check your rca cables

Post Number: 2
the thing is...

the wiring kit that i bought had realllly wide and thick power + ground cable (Fusion). Therefore parts of it was sticking out when connected to the amp thats why they were touching each other.

I tried pushing the cone of the amp and i didnt hear no scratching noises, the sub seemed normal.

I'm not very happy and will be even more dismayed if the sub or amp is damaged. I hope its just the rca cables! the amp seems normal tho, because the green led still comes on as normal.

Silver Member

Post Number: 251
thats good, the sub is fine. its either wired to low and puttin the amp into protect mode. do u no how many ohms it is wired to?? could be the rca's, and did u check ur fuses. and the back of ur hu. for loose rca's?

Post Number: 3
Yeah basically i went and tried the sub in my friends car with his amp and it worked fine. So the sub is definatly working. BUT then tried replaced his amp with mine and the sub wouldnt work so therefore the amp must be messed up. Im gonna go to a shop and try get that repaired. (any ideas on how much it can cost to repair amp?)

ALSO can you tell me how to check if the fuse is blown (that ASWELL could be a problem i guess) because im pretty much new to this car electronics stuff.

thanks for your help!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 259
on the amp. there should be external fuses usually 2 but sometimes 3 or4. pull those out and you will be able to tel if they are blown or not...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us