???Overpowering Question???

Username: Tman86

Post Number: 1
I have a boss pd-3000 amp and a Ma audio 12" 3000 watt max sub. if i wire my amp down to a half ohm it "supposedly" puts out 3000 watts. If i wire it this way my sub will be RECIEVING max watts (3000) and my amp will b SENDING OUT max watts (3000)...is this a bad idea, and will my sub/amp break?
by the way i do realize my boss amp sucks and it doesn't really put out 3000 watts...

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3612
It should be fine, the RMS values are all you should worry about, and I can guarantee the Boss won't be putting out anything that would blow that sub haha.

Silver Member
Username: Makmillion

United States

Post Number: 111
I'd be more worried about underpowering your sub with a Boss amp.

All else aside; overpowering isn't so bad in relation to underpowering.. if you underpower a sub it is more likely to blow before another sub that is overpowered.

Gold Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 1082
so u can understand what mick is saying

ur prolly will turn it up louder cuz it doesnt hit like u want an its easier to send a bad "SQUARE WAVE" to ur subs then a smooth "SINE WAVE" which realy causes the problems of overheatiing an unwinding of the VC's thats whuts called clipping (wave part)

Username: Tman86

Post Number: 2
THGANKS GUYS UR THE BEST!

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 272
1/2 ohm, that amp will probably fry...

Bronze Member
Username: Justblaze

St.Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 50
i doubt it will fry if its a mono amp. even if boss amps are way overrated, i bet his amp could still put out 1000, which still is a descent ammount of power

Bronze Member
Username: Justblaze

St.Louis, MO USA

Post Number: 51
i doubt it will fry if its a mono amp. even if boss amps are way overrated, i bet his amp could still put out 1000 rms , which still is a descent ammount of power

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 123
I doubt that amp will even put out 500rms.

Do you really thing BOSS is going to invest in the parts to make an amp push 1000+rms when they can rate it "ils 1000rms" and save a few bucks.

Sure, if you wired this thing into a 110v outlet, it might hit 1000rms.. but, that would never work and you'll never see 1000 watts from this or any BOSS amp.

Same goes for alot of cheap-knock-off-brands.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1422
some boss amps puts 1000w clean, their high end stuff, but i think he'll be fine cuz MA won't see 3000w never, with 1000w that sub should sound bad..

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, OR U.S.

Post Number: 2738
thats a 2-channel amp and it is 1/2 ohm stereo stable but it wont be able to put out 3000 watts. it does 1500 x 2, and its not bridgable.

i bet you would see around 1000 out of that amp on each channel

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 931
"All else aside; overpowering isn't so bad in relation to underpowering.. if you underpower a sub it is more likely to blow before another sub that is overpowered."

There's really no truth to that at all.
The only qualification is that the gain is set correctly. If it is - less power is ALWAYS safer for the speakers than more.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1519
yeah, is worse to the amp though...

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 932
not following you Julio
???

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3742
I think he's saying if you underpower a sub, you have to turn up the gains on the amp, therefore it's going to get a lot more heat than it would if the gains were set correctly.

Silver Member

United States

Post Number: 124
Haha.. okay you guys.. here's how it works;

A subwoofer requires a cerain amount of power(watts) to push the weight of the cone + the density of the voice coil.

If you have a 500 watts RMS woofer and a 250 watts RMS amplifier, provided the impediance were matched lets say they're both 4 ohm at the above listed powers, the amp could only push the woofer to half it's RMS potential. This means that the woofer couldn't move as it's suppose to, because the voice coil wouldn't be recieving it's required minimum power and the coil could/would blow/melt/give in/die or whatever pass phraze you prefer.

Think of it like a Ford Fiesta trying to pull a motorhome. The transmission would give eventually because you're trying to pull something so large with something so small. A woofer pushes and pulls, however. Still, this is a good example.

I have no good example for overpowering... but I can tell you that no matter if your speakers are underpowered or overpowered, if your gain isn't set correctly you could blow your speakers, or amp. Gain is NOT a volume knob, don't use it as one or you will regret it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1531
yeah jexx, that's the thing optidriven...

Gold Member

Post Number: 1532
mick i'll agree with you on this one hehe

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 933
"If you have a 500 watts RMS woofer and a 250 watts RMS amplifier, provided the impediance were matched lets say they're both 4 ohm at the above listed powers, the amp could only push the woofer to half it's RMS potential."

Assuming the gains are set correctly, I agree.

"This means that the woofer couldn't move as it's suppose to, because the voice coil wouldn't be recieving it's required minimum power"

Exactly how is it supposed to move?

There is no "required minimum power". RMS power is a rating that isn't supposed to be EXCEEDED, it's not what's minimally required for it to operate safely. The closer you get, or more you exceed rated power, the better chance you have of damaging a speaker - plain and simple.

"and the coil could/would blow/melt/give in/die or whatever pass phraze you prefer."

Uhhh - underpowering a speaker heats it up?? Think again.
To use your car pulling a trailer analogy...
If a truck is rated to tow 5000 lbs is it going to be damaged pulling a 2500 lb trailer??

No matter how you put it, or what irrelevant analogies you want to use -- a lot of power and poor gain control damages speakers, not under-powering.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1564
control the gain! hehe

Gold Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 1234
mick i dont know how you got your logic out of that.. so your telling me when i have my 1000 watt amp hooked up to my 1000 watt subwoofer and im listening to the music at low volume maybe around 400 watts is going to the sub.. its going to melt.. i dont think so

Bronze Member
Username: Feaiel

Post Number: 20
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/scripts/rightnow.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php? p_sid=1KxLe2ei&p_lva=&p_faqid=63&p_created=965346111&p_sp=cF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3 dfY250PTIxNSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

Hope the link works..should help with topic.

Username: Riskyb

Post Number: 5
I can drive speakers with a 100% clipped square wave signal all day long with no problems as long as the thermal and mechanical limits of the speaker are not exceeded. I can feed a speaker 100% distortion all day long with no damage as long as the thermal and mechanical limits of the speaker are not exceeded. I can exceed the thermal and/or mechanical limits of a speaker and watch it fail in short order. These are electrical and physical truths and anything else is a myth.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3791
^Yep. That's pretty much exactly what it's all about. Thanks Grant.

The analogy of a Fiesta trying to pull a motorhome, while valid in some respects, is misleading. A car can be controlled to put out its maximum output by the user whereas the amp just puts out what it is rated to put out so no damage done if a speaker with a higher RMS is hooked up to it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us