Capacitor or HO alternator

Bronze Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 18
I have a 06 kicker s15l7 getting a 1000 watts rms from a memphis prd 1000.1 amp. How many extra amperes would that put out over my stock alternator and would i need a 1 farad cap, or a ho alternator. Thanks.

Silver Member
Username: Zulkir

U.S.A.

Post Number: 142
everyoen will say a ho alt jsut to forwarn u

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
you think that will do it, or should i get a capacitor as well as an ho alt.?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1004
about 98-100 extra. and no don't get a cap. unless you get a ho alt. first, it'll just put more of a strain on your alt., not much, but more.

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 145
if it was me i would get a cap if u cant spend 250+ for a ho...not everyone has moeny for a ho but some people jsut dont get that

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 146
i havent had a problem with my cap.. as long as it dosent drop below 12.5v it helps..its a quick fix for people that cant spend there life savings in a ho

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1008
zulkir, please stop posting crap. he could be totally new to this, take your advice, and get screwed. a cap. is not a quick fix for a ho alt. that's not what it was made to be, so please don't lead him in the wrong direction.

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 149
liek i sadi befor miek shut your god dam f@get @ss cockholster..i dont want to talk to u again.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1009
good, stop posting crap then and giving bad advice.

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 150
dident i tell u to ShUt ThE Fu(k up?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1010
ooooooh.

just to shut you up, call a company that makes ho alt., any company, and tell them you are running a 1200w rms amp, and tell them your vehicle info. there is not one place that will say a 350a. alt. is needed. i guarantee they'll say a 190-200a alt. is fine and that it will even give you room to add more.

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 153
u do know teh correct way to fighre amps is my the max power i hope....btw i told u to shut your Fu9ken mouth..its liek tellign a dam kid..just stfu

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2282
y r u bein so mean man? -- he didnt do anything

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1014
you talking bout me bassman???

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2283
lol. of course not. the one tellin u off

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 158
i told him to leav me alone n he kept it up so i get mean.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2285
hes tryin to help ya man. if he was callin u a f@ggot and f' head for no reason, then i would get mad too.he hasnt said one mean thing

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 161
i dont give a a flyen fu(k if he is or isent all he is sayign is i dont know anythign and he is right abotu everything adn he is so much better...he can go fu(k himself.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1015
zulkir, i wouldn't have to keep it up if you stop posting nonsense.

1) 2 r's making your voice distorted and such, lie and i think you know it. wasn't trying to knock your subs since i had the same ones, but i know they wont do that sealed, in a car.

2) to need a 350 alt. for 2 r's, again, nonsense. i think you got bad info. or something. also, you use rms to figure out the current, or power needed, here:"step 1: Find out how much RMS wattage your amplifier will produce based on the load presented by your speakers.
step 2: Divide this number by 12 (volts)
step 3: Take the resulting number and multiply by the factor below, based on the amplifier type:
Class AB: *1.4
Class T or D: *1.2
step 4: Add the totals together if there is more than one amplifier in the system
step 5: add your stock alternator's HOT current rating to this figure.
The total you get is the amount of current your car and audio system will draw at peak output." taken from wickedcases.com, glasswolf's site, and i think i'll take advise from him over you, other's will back me.

3)don't tell someone a cap. is a quick fix. if you think so fine, but there not.

i was just trying to give the original strter of this thread good advise and you just have to start in with your bullsh!t and if you read this thread again you'll see you're the one that started this whole sh!t by saying "liek i sadi befor miek shut your god dam f@get @ss cockholster..i dont want to talk to u again."

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2287
Let's say you install a 1,200 watt amplifier in your ride. Your rides charging system must produce enough electrical current to run the amplifier and still power the rest of the car's electrical requirements. Now how do you know how much current is needed? Simple:
step 1: Find out how much RMS wattage your amplifier will produce based on the load presented by your speakers.
step 2: Divide this number by 12 (volts)
step 3: Take the resulting number and multiply by the factor below, based on the amplifier type:
Class AB: *1.4
Class T or D: *1.2
step 4: Add the totals together if there is more than one amplifier in the system
step 5: add your stock alternator's HOT current rating to this figure.
The total you get is the amount of current your car and audio system will draw at peak output.

Most vehicle electrical systems are 12.5VDC at idle, and between 13.8 and 14.4VDC above about 900rpm but we use 12 volts as the standard for these calculations because most amplifiers today use a regulated power supply, so they get 12VDC regardless of input voltage, so...
1,200 watts divided by 12 volts equals 100 Amperes of current.
If this is a class D amplifier, it'll be ~80% efficiend, so we'll add 20% of 100A to the total, and we get about 120A of current demand continuously at peak output.
This means that the electrical system of the vehicle will need to produce an extra 120 Amperes of electrical current to power your amplifier and subwoofer at peak levels. Keep in mind that the factory electrical system is designed to produce enough charging power (alternator and battery) for the vehicle's stock equipment, and was not designed to accomodate high-powered audio systems

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2288
"www.wickedcases.com" oops u already had it lol

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 163
miek jsut stfu i am not lien or bulshitign or whateer u think..i know waht i see adn hear and so do my friends.i don tttgive a sh!t waht u or anyone thinks about my sh!t if u dont believe it idc i know what is true because i was there. so just drop it n stfu

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1017
you know what dumba_ss i would drop it but everytime i look thru threads you say stupid sh!t like this:

"i dont give a a flyen fu(k if he is or isent all he is sayign is i dont know anythign and he is right abotu everything adn he is so much better...he can go fu(k himself."

point out one time i said you don't know anything or that i'm so much better than you? it's sh!theads like you that say they come here to learn but when they get told something they have to flip out and start with the name calling and stuff that's caused this site to go to sh!t. i'm here for the same reason as you, to learn more about car audio, talk bout it, and help out others that have questions i might be able to answer.

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2293
look in sub section CT

its too late. go to bed everyone

Silver Member

U.S.A.

Post Number: 168
ya ct go to sub section noone wants u here

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2300
everyone just get along

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1020
i try!

Gold Member
Username: Drivingreckless

Near tampa, Florida United state...

Post Number: 1324
ROFL
zulkir were the f\/ck u learned how to type....
are u dislyxic????
all ur spelling is leik tihs cuaes oyu cnat tpye wothr siht

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
lol wow. Thanks bassman and ctmike, you guys are the only ones i believe on this site, so thank you.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 1275
nicky add me to that list jaja lol! Zulkir is kinda newbie, you need a new HO alt, caps are only when you have a good HO alt, cleans the direct current, keep the voltage steady, but without an alt, just puts more strains, try looking help from gold members, except from lilrob jajja lol!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
yea i saw your name on other threads right after i posted that and was like...o wait, him too lol. But yea you guys are the only ones who are helpin me out here so thanks bro.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
alright guys now that we know i need a ho alt., what brands do you recommend, i was just looking at bosch ho alts. that put out some 200 amperes. any good?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1035
http://www.excessiveamperage.com/

just bout everyone on here got one from here

Gold Member

Post Number: 1292
yeah, and iraggi too.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
are the ones on excessiveamperage.com well built and do they work good?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1293
very good

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2306
WOW. wut a crazy night, lol

yea, they are very good. he custom makes them and they are very always very good quality. he actually hangs out in the acc. section of this forum sometimes and he also has "group buys" where he has like 10 spots, and those 10 people get really great discounts. dont kno when his next one is.

email him at Nate@excessiveamperage.com

Cauncey brown, rovin, muddy waters, wreak havok, jonathon, glasswolf, chad lee --- are just a couple more you can listen to on this forum

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2310
nicky. he is having a group buy!!

go to the web site

http://www.j.designs.info/phpBB2/index.php

^ take out that one period (between j and designs) ---- register -- then go to the "for sale" topic.

this is the site that all the gurus of this forum go to, to talk smart so we dont have to deal with newb questions, lol

he will get u a good price

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
thanks a ton. i appreciate it.

Silver Member
Username: Bakerj72

Regina, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 173
bottom line zukirs a dumbass... i was running 500wrms on a stock integra with a cap.... i was hitting 10.5....yes 10.5 new battery was needed

Gold Member

Post Number: 1336
bassman3 tht hurts.....i cant be trusted???:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(

Gold Member

Post Number: 1307
jajajja, driving knows the bussiness

Gold Member

Post Number: 1337
:-O
thnx juliob

Gold Member

Post Number: 1308
can't hide the truth... lol

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2314
lol. i basically posted the people who are the "gurus" of the forum. u know, that i know, that you are good.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1338
are u hittin on me bassman???;-)

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2320
thats for u to decide, LOL

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 7983
"Cauncey brown, rovin, muddy waters, wreak havok, jonathon, glasswolf, chad lee"

Chauncey...lol...cant forget that all important H...ll

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 2326
lol. people might not kno who u are without that

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 3898
Misinformation PISSES me off more than ANYHTING on this forum, especially when people won't listen.

anybody who knows anything has spent at least 3 hours on www.bcae1.com reading at least a quarter of the topics there. lol

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 8450
"Chauncey brown, rovin, muddy waters, wreak havok,jonathon, glasswolf , chad lee"

well i'm honoured my name was called with the likes of jonathon, glasswolf - though i'm no where as experienced as these 2 gents , i still try to add my 2 (hopefully worth something) cents where ever i can ......

I agre with Muddy on www.bcae1.com - a long time ago i spent DAYS reading & taking my time to learn all that i know from bcae1 , i own most of what i know to that site .

Bottom line - not everysingle person knows everyshit about car audio cause new products/technolgy r always coming out regualarly ...u live u learn....

Bronze Member
Username: New_at_this

Post Number: 59
haha funny thread,zulkir is starting to prove he's a dumba.ss,hey if am running 800 RMS do i need a HO alt.? i have the a8000t amp.zulkir don't answer.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 909
wow - this thread got ugly quick...

Bottom line - the vast majority of stock alternators will have no problem with a 1000w class D amp.

That's assuming you don't listen to test tones at full volume non-stop. Average music at full volume requires at most 1/3 of the amp's maximum bench test current draw.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us