Dad doing install for son

Username: Atfdmike

Michigan

Post Number: 1
I am asking for a little help to properly wire my son's vehicle for extra bass. Don't laugh, but I am trying to surprise him by buying and installing it myself. I bought a used Digital Audio DA 275 F amp (600 watt, 2 channel), a 8 ga. wiring kit, and two JL Audio 10inch subs with 6 ohm rating (each, I guess) in a box. Can someone help me by telling or better yet drawing me a schematic on the safest way to wire the subs (series, parallel,?) to the amp. I am hooking it to his new Xmas kenwood head unit that has rca plugs already. Go easy on me...please! thanks

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 791
I can't seem to find any information on the amp, but just as a guess, I would say to bridge the amp to 2 ohms and parallel wire your two subs to 3 ohms.
Then again, it probably wouldn't make any difference in power if you wired them stereo or bridged and wired mono.
Feel free to ask more questions, the only stupid questions are the ones not asked.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 509
the only JL 6 ohm 10's I can find are dvc's.
Can you tell us if those are dual or single voice coils?

Michigan

Post Number: 4
I believe dual, if that is "dvc's" as there are 4 dual connectors, a set on opposite sides of each speaker. Is this the only way to tell? Thanks for help to all so far.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 513
yep, that would be dual 6's.

I did find the specs on that amp. It appears the 600w is a max rating. The actual specs are -
75x2 at 4 ohms stereo
150x2 at 2 ohms stereo
300x1 at 4 ohms bridged/mono

The way I would do it is bridge the amp and wire it series/parallel for 6 ohms bridged. It won't quite be 300w, but it should be fairly close.
Maybe 125w per sub or so.

It would look like this:

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 514
pic didn't load --

Upload

Michigan

Post Number: 5
Thank you so much for your help. The only remaining question I have is "do I just run a jumper wire from the one terminal to the other on the amp that are marked (they happen to be the ones on the outside) Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Words are not adequate but thanks!

Username: Travis_lamance

Post Number: 8
I'm not sure exactly what your question is, but for that setup in the picture, you have to make sure your subwoofers' coils are wired in a series, either by taking them out of the box and seeing if they match the diagram above, or if you have an ohmmeter, check that the subs have about 12 ohms of resistance each at the box terminals. If they are in series, a negative and a positive should be connected with a jumper (like the diagram), if they are in parallel, the positives should be connected to each other, and the negatives should be connected to each other. If they're wired in parallel (3 ohms each), then you can either change them so that they match the diagram, or wire the subs to the amp in a series. To do this, I would run a wire from the amp + to sub1 +, sub1 - to sub2 +, sub2 - to amp - (all these connections would be outside the box, with the amp bridged). I'm not sure of the general method for wiring the subs in parallel, as shown in the diagram, using the box terminals. I suppose I would connect one sub to the amp bridged, then connect the second sub to the first sub, matching polarity, so there would be two wires in each terminal for the first sub. Or you can splice some wires together. I don't have a lot of experience installing subs, so it would probably be best if you wait for someone to confirm or deny what I've said. I hope I haven't confused you, and good luck.

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 521
no, no jumper wire.
Just run the (+) from the left terminal and the negative from the right and wire the subs as shown.

Post Number: 9
oh if your question was how to bridge the amp, generally you don't need a jumper wire, you should be able to just connect the positive wire to the positive in the first channel, and the negative to the negative in the second channel. I'm not certain about your specific amp though.

Post Number: 10
d'oh

Michigan

Post Number: 6
OK, I think I get it. I am doing all the wiring myself, and I am going to just hook the positive speaker wire to the positive terminal on the amp that is marked "bridge" and the negative speaker to negative amp marked "bridged". I am also wiring the speakers in the box, so I will just follow the diagram supplied by Optidriven. I will post how things go once I get it all installed. Cross your fingers for me, and you might be relieved to know I don't intend to do this kind of work regularly, so thanks for the patience in answering my questions!! Best to all.

Silver Member
Username: Islandboy808

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 595
what a nice dad^^^

Bronze Member
Username: Littleguy

Post Number: 95
Well, what happened?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 5270
Its gonna be a kodak moment when he presents it 2 his son........

Upload

Michigan

Post Number: 7
Wow is what I heard when he first cranked it up, and believe it or not, it worked just like the drawings you supplied. I never thought to get a camera, but I was cold (about 28 F) here in Michigan and it took me a lot longer to install than I thought it would. I spent about 4 hours running the wires under consoles, dashs and whatnot, but it was worth the work when it was done. Naturally, he could not wait to take off and show his friends before the game, but my hat is off to you guys who freely offer your expertise to guys like me. I really do hope to someday pass on the favor to someone else. THANK YOU for making me look good to my son...now where are my earplugs!!!!

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 530
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4623
haha i bet you was suprised and happy all at the same time and jl was a good choice for a first system

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4624
you was should read... he was

Silver Member
Username: Islandboy808

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 617
good to hear,stick around the forums more
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts