JL Audio 300/2 amp any good?

Bronze Member
Username: Doug_w

Post Number: 84
I was looking at getting a JL Audio 300/2 amp to run my Image Dynamics CXS6 4 ohms component set. Would this be a good amp for that? I mean its JL Audio so its pretty good amp right? has anyone had any experience with it?

Bronze Member
Username: Keegan_man

Post Number: 18
yes jl is very good

Bronze Member
Username: Demon_pride

Crowder, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 17
its JL... it owns.

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 557
probably to much power, so turn it down.

Bronze Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 86
sounds perfect to me 150w spkrs, 150w/ch amp.

I think you could spend a lot less for the same sound, but if you've got the money JL definitely makes a nice amp.

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 570
Just because a speaker says 150w, does not mean it will actually hold that power, and it is not meant to be used for normal listening, go ahead and use that amp, gain it up and then blast your radio....you will probably be needing some new speakers....Alot of ratings on this equip, is a gimmik to make you buy, the bigger the number does not mean better quality...

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 93
Ummm - call me crazy, but I think it's safe to say IDs can handle their rated power. Probably substantially more.

And why would anyone EVER want to "gain it up"??

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5184
The IDs will take 150W no problem. The amp would be a great match.

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 225
actually the more power the better........as long as the amp can control it.....doesn't mean you need to go out and get some cheap speakers that say they can take 150 watts......when you get into the components that say 150rms power handling is when you would want it.....i have my Xr's on 250 watts a channel and haven't had a problem for the last 6 months with...still sound like the day i put em in!

Bronze Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 97
amp needs to control it -- yeah, i suppose...
but more importantly, the user needs control the amp.
Gains = c4, volume knob = detonator.

I have ~250w (this, bridged -- http://www.carsound.com/review_archive/amps/opti1004.html) on my fronts as well - relatively cheap components rated at 180w rms. 2 yrs and working great.

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 713
XR's are only rated at 70 RMS, with recomended amp rating of 50-150 i think. i got the 3 ways with the 300/1, sounds great. weird to have such a low RMS rating on thoes speakers i thought

Silver Member

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 227
power isn't the main reason a speaker will blow.....it's the distortion that will do it....you can power a speaker with the recommended power and still blow it with a little distortion! aslong as you keep distortion away they will last!

Silver Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 109
yes and no - distortion in the form of clipping can lead to damage, but distortion itself doesn't damage speakers. If that was the case we'd have to replace speakers every time we tuned to a fuzzy radio station.

Distortion in the form of clipping CAN damage a speaker because when an amp is clipped it is capable of producing much more power than in the unclipped (clean) state. It's that extra power that damages speakers.

Clipping can be avoided by setting your gains properly.

Silver Member

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 228
not not having a really crappy amplifier in someinstances to!

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5197
Power is the only thing that blows a speaker. A speaker only recieves power. It isn't like distortion is going to make the voice coil start rocking around and going heywire, the only thing distortion does is produce harmonics throughout the frequency range.

Any time a speaker blows, it is because it was overpowered, either due to higher average power due to clipping, putting too much amp on a speaker, or pushing the sub past mechanical limits.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us