NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1882
"I have the following in my 1986 Cadillac DeVille"

"Stereo: Sony X-plode [and changer]"

I'm not a big fan of Sony at all.

"Amp: Kicker DX-700"

nice amp

"Subs: Kicker XPL 8ohm{2}12 inch"

ok, two 8 Ohm subs is only ideal with a bridged stereo amp.

"As for the bandpass: I've been told to mount my spkrs - both face out and/or one face in and one face out"

ok, for this, the best way to mount the subs (for displacement) would be determined by using software such as WinISD, which allows you to insert box type and volumes, then allows you to input speaker specs, and it will yield the response of the box. I can't really tell ya one way or teh other not knowing all of the details.
As for the polarity, you want the speakers to work together, regardless of how you put them in, so if they are opposed, facing each other or facing opposite directions, you want one speaker wired backward, out of phase.. so both drivers more the same direction at the same time.

"I need to stuff it w/pillow stuffing"

this only makes the enclosure volume appear ~10% larger to the driver.
Not needed in bandpass, not a bad idea for the sealed box, but you only fill the box half way, and very loosely with polyfill. don't "stuff" it in.

"I need to keep the plexi lid off"

no. don't mess with volumes on a bandpass box.

"'daisy chain' wire them"

that's series wiring, and that'd be a 16 Ohm load.
with two 8 Ohm drivers, just wire both straight to the amp for a 4 Ohm load. (parallel wiring)

"[pos spkr 1 to pos spkr2 to pos amp term/same for neg connect]"

series would be:
amp pos to spkr1 pos
spkr1 neg to spkr2 pos
spkr2 neg to amp neg.

"Also I was told by one guy I could have the plexi lid on and 2 other people say definately leave it off?"

need to see the box and how the subs are mounted, but generally you don't want to alter the bandpass box by taking the panels off. You start messing with the box tuning then and that can destroy the subs.
Oh, and as to which is better BP or sealed,
BP is good for more SPL (louder) but it won't play as deeply.
Sealed is a flat response, and plays more deeply, but usually requires more power to achieve similar SPL to ported or BP. Sealed tends to be the most accurate type of box as well, but mostly this will depends on your tastes in music.

"[the amp] has a crossover"

erm, low pass crossover on the amp?
set it to low-pass @ about 80Hz.

"The inst. manual says the fuse by the battery should be 90amp?"

there are different fuse types.
you may want an ANL type 100A fuse then, in-line at the battery. In that case, you'll also need at least 4AWG power line for the amp, too.
try www.partsexpress.com or www.knukonceptz.com

"the crossover [is] a SWX crossover module and it came with 3 prs of chips to set the crossover point at 60, 80, or 100hz Which chip do I want in the highpass? "

ahh electronic XO, ok.
100Hz high-pass for the components and try 80Hz low-pass for the subs.. if tehy sound a bit boomy and you're using the sealed box, use 60Hz.
you'll want the 80Hz for BP, since BP doesn't play as low as sealed.

"And I also don't know if I want the external pass switch set to 'low', 'high' or 'all pass'?"

ok if this is for the fronts/rears. you'll want it set to high-pass, 100Hz.

"there is also a SWX Remote Gain Module"

set that to "zero gain" for system settings purposes.
mess with that after everything else is set right.

"subsonic filter Do I want this filter set to off or on?"

leave it on..

my honest suggestion would have been different equipment in part, too.. but since you already have it let's see what we can do with it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us