The 'New' Orion

Bronze Member
Username: Comp98

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 63
Okay, so I've been thinking of getting the Orion 8004 to power my components. (100w RMS x 4 @ 4 ohms)

But when I did a search on the forums for 'orion amps' I found that they are mass produced in China.

So my question is: Are Orion (newer models) amps any good? What other companies in the same price range (looking to spend 300-400 on a 4 channel) are of the same quality if not better?

Willing to shop ebay!

Thnaks guys

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 1130
About much 75% of car audio stuff is now made in China & Korea - a thread had run on the issue about a mth ago & pretty thats just the way it is nowadays with China's cheap labor ALOT of stuff generally is now being made there ........

Bronze Member

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 64
Even JL is made in Korea. Damn!

I was thinking of saving a little extra money and getting the JL 450/4. It's about $200 more (500 shipped) than the Orion but it seems like it's the best way to go.

Bronze Member

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 65
I don't wanna spend over $500 for a 4 channel amp thats at least 100 RMS @ 4ohms for my front components.

Silver Member
Username: Spyder

Eglin AFB, Florida USA

Post Number: 127
actually i am not sure on the Slash series amps being made in China.......i thought i was hearing they were being made in Florida! i know the w6's and w7's are made here in florida. and the 450/4 is an awsome amp!! but i think i saw a Zapco Reference amp on ebay last night 4 channel that was pushing some power!! Check into them aswell!!

Bronze Member

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 69
I found the Zapco Reference but the seller has 0 feedback and they only want cashiers check or money order. Doesn't seem too honest to me. My choices now are:
1. JL Audio 450/4 (overpowers by 25 watt RMS to polk components)
2. Orion 8004 (underpowers by 25 rms)
3 MB Quart Reference (underpowers by 25 rms)

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10662
Orion is owned by DEI now, who also produces and owns a/d/s, PPI, Directed, Viper, and a few other companies.
The current Orion stuff is a good product for the price, puts out ratedpower, is reliable, and backed by DEI if you have problems.
For the money the amp is a good product.

Bronze Member

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 70
Thnaks GW I really appreciate it. Jl just seems like an overpriced branded company.

Bronze Member
Username: Dropp

Ocala, Florida US

Post Number: 13
HMMMM, I'm not a big fan of DEI's support,..I never had a problem with any of there amps though.I just aquired a JL 300/2 for my wifes car.I am pretty happy with it.A good rule of thumb is buy it used for cheap.If it breaks sent it to be repaired by somebody reputible like K&B in Vegas.As far as the Far east products go.MTX is made here. not to bash I own alot of it and I don't think that they are any more reliable than alot of the Far East stuff.Just my 2 cents

Bronze Member

Philadelphia, PA USA

Post Number: 78
Ohh i went with two MB Quarts Reference series amps. Made in USA. Well these are but not anything newer.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us