How far up can i turn the volume knob?

markos
Unregistered guest
I've read about how distortion and clipping can kill speakers/subs.. Does that mean if i get my front components on an amp and subs on another amp..
Then can i turn the volume knob up all the way? Im sure im missing some other factors in there but can someone explain it in detail?
Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1333
you turn it up until you hear your speakers start to distort, and then turn it down a few notches. it's as simple as that.:-)

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 259
NO NO NO! You can't turn the volume up all the way lol. The HU will send clipping to the amp! Match your amp voltages to your HU's. Then, for me the good ol' listening test works best! Turn your HU up until you hear audible distortion, then turn it down a couple of notches. That should be about where your RMS value of watts for your HU is. Therefore, don't push it past that unless you have a volume displacement function that turns down the volume, just so you can crank the total HU volume. It's a pretty stupid feature, but I guess it's good for SOMETHING!

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 260
Wow, Muddy, you said like the EXACT same thing as me, just not as detailed...

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1335
haha, i'm famous for that. simplicity at its best. lol

Silver Member
Username: Mrdark

Post Number: 112
so, matching hu voltage with amp gain is a must, right?

Gold Member

Ocala, FL USA

Post Number: 1355
YES!

lol

markos
Unregistered guest
ok.. i've got an Alpine HU CDA-9831 and there's an option to disable it's internal powersupply..
What if i use dat? Will the HU still send clipping signal to my amps?

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1662
That just turns off the internal amplifier so the unit will run cooler. Alternatively, all sound must be processed through the RCA outputs.

markos
Unregistered guest
Let me see if i got that right.Turning off the internal amplifier only affects its temperature but not the sound it produces? ok im confused now..i thought disabling the internal amp stops the HU from processing the signal so that it can be passed 'clean' into the amps..
Please someone correct me if im wrong on that.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 1664
Yeah, that's right, the colder temperature causes the unit to produce better sound.

I phrased my original answer awkwardly now that I look back at it...

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10457
factors to consider:
quality of the head unit. most head units produce audible distortion in the pre-out signal at about 3/4 full volume. A few high end units are distortionless, but most are not.. so if for example your head unit volume goes from 0 to 35, you'd want to keep the volume below about 25 to keep a clean signal.

can the speakers accept all of the power your amps can supply without reaching full excursion? If not, stop efore they bottom out.

are you using the proper crossover settings so the speakers don't produce frequemcies they can't handle?

are the amplifier gains set properly so the amps don't clip with the signals being sent to them?

stuff to factor in

markos
Unregistered guest
So it could be possible for the knob to be all the way up..provided all XO/LP/HP, gains, speaker RMS to amp RMS values & settings are correct and the HU is producing a clean signal.
What quality do i look for in a HU for it to be distortion free at high vol.? is there a spec i should be looking at?

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 853
Turn it up, all the way. It's best man. And when you smell smoke, turn it up a little more :P.

(BTW: I'm JUST KIDDING!!!)

And just get a high-end deck (Alpine, Eclipse, Clarion, etc) if you don't want distortion. But a lot of it is how you have the deck setup. Any of those decks (the "higher-up" models) are a pain to get used too, but they'll do alot.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10477
I believe Pioneer's top model premier is that way.. I know the Alpine F1status model is.

markos
Unregistered guest
ahahah.. :P
Alrite thanks for all the response guys, really appreciate it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us