Need advice

Username: Sound_newbie

Post Number: 2
Hi, I have been restoring an old car and finished with the body and interior recently. I am now buying a sound system for my car and would like to know how to install it all. So here is what I have so far to work with:

12" Woofers Volfenhag Car Audio Subs 2000W

Q-Logic QLH-.8512DE Type 1 dual 12" hatchback box

AUDIOBAHN A1300HCT 1200 Watts RMS Mono Sub Amp

So could you guys please give me a hand, and also, do places like Auto-Zone install these things too? I Know they do car batteries.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9638
if you spent much time resotring a classic car, I wouldn't waste time with such cheap unreliable gear in it, nor would I trust grease monkies at auto zone for the install. I'd go to a qualified, certified installer at a car audio shop to get teh work done and I'd spend a bit more to get better equipment worth installing.

At least, I refused to use junk for any part of my own classic restoration.

Post Number: 3
Whats the cheap part? The box? That amp cost me $700 and the 2 subs was ~$420. I don't really intend on buying way more then that.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9645
oh man if you paid that for volfenfag subs, return them. I can recommend very high quality subs for that price.
the amplifier will suffice although I dislike audiobahn with a passion.
the box... qlogic boxes make most subs sound pretty lousy. better off having a box built for the subs you end up getting so the ports are properly tuned and the box is substantially reinforced.

what'd you restore anyway?
that'll help in figuring out the best recommendations

Post Number: 4
85' Monte Carlo SS , I'll put pics up later, need to take some more. Also, I can return the subs, but what do you recomend, box and subs. Also, ported or sealed? I Don't really want to shake everything around me, but a good bass, where you can understand the music, and show off at the same time.

rideredder
Unregistered guest
I have a pair of volfenhag 12's in a sealed box running at 4 Ohms in a hatchback mustang and i think they sound alright, only paid $50 a peice for them though.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9661
for that much I'd go with a pair of RE SE12 or SE15 subs, or even elevation audio pro series subs.
ported in that car. I had a close friend with the same car I set up.. worked well with a pair of fifteens. did a lot of 80s montes back when they were abundant.
that stepped trunk can have a box fashioned to fit up onto that stepped recessed portion so the box fills the front part of the trunk with the subs firing back toward the tail lihgts.
works very well.
try www.reaudio.com and www.elevationaudio.com for info on those subs

Post Number: 6
could you explain the RE SE subs? And A price range of $100-$400 for a pair. And a good name box. And you said ported was the way to go?

Post Number: 7
Also, I have no clue of installation, I am totally new to this sound/electricity deal.

Post Number: 8
I visited the site www.reaudio.com, and feel in love with the re se 15's. It what I really need, peak power of 1200 and the RMS 600. I do plan to put it between 2 subs. I am searching the site over and do not see an order page, or a purchase button. Also, point in the right direction for a box please. Thank You.

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 123
I think your best bet for the box is to have it built at a local car audio shop. It needs to be built to spec for your subs and application. Drop by a local shop and discuss the box and install with them.

I know there's at least one site online that sells RE subs, but I don't recall which site. You won't see RE products in too many online stores.

Post Number: 9
I been searching for hours, and since I bought a nice amp from Audiobahn, I also bought an Audiobahn pair of subs. Audiobahn DUB1200 12" Dub Series. Now I just need a good box. Could you guys help me a little further.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9688
SE15 is $199 each
call or email them to order directly
have the box custom built. to fit that stepped trunk with two fifteens you'll have to have the box hand made. that'll be a box about 5 to 6 cubic feet in interior volume for ported.

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 130
I thought you already had the Volfenhag subs?

Anyway, as stated above, you need to have a box custom built for your trunk.

Post Number: 10
What do you recomend 1 or 2 single boxes for my 15's or a dual box?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Im thinking of one RE SE15 sub. That gives me enough room for the box and my amp. Agreed?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us