How many channels of audio are on a CD

Bronze Member
Username: Brynm

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 66
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So far I have a Rockford Fosgate P3001(300w rms rated, tested at 400w rms on birth sheet) driving my subs (two 12" Infinity 1230W, 300w rms each) and I recently bought an amp to boost my front door speakers in my 1988 Nissan extended cab. The deck I have only has rear pre-outs and I'm wondering if it will sound like crap if I just use the pass throughs on my p3001 to feed signal to my new amp. I realize this means I'll be feeding in the signals from the rear to the front speakers. there is just a pair of 6.5's in the doors of the truck.

I guess in my rambling way I'd like to know how many channels of audio a cd has. If it's only 2 then front and rear should be the same signal and the purpose of multiple pre-outs is just to ease installation of multiple amps, right?

My new amp is just a crappy little ESA I got off eBay to run for the time being. It has rca inputs as well as high levels but it didn't come with the wire harness to connect them.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9088
yes a CD is 2 channels of audio.
if you're using an MP3, it can eb encoded for up to 6 channels if the player can decode it, but I've not seen any for cars that can.
DVD is a bit different, but for CD yeah.. 2 channels, and 6 preouts on a head unit are just for front/rear (same signal) and subs, allowing for crossovers and fading.
it's more a control issue than it is separate signals.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us