Someone in DC/Baltimore Metro Area with an extra amp wanna help me out?

Bronze Member
Username: Shocksyde

Post Number: 24
I need an amp to test and see if it's my amp that's blown or my sub.

If anyone is near me (Severn, MD 21144) and feels like helpin me out I'd appreciate it!

I'm usually online on AIM under "shocksyde"

Thanks!
Sean

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 1551
I live in montgomery county maryland. I dont think i have anythihg that whould help you as my stuff is only for my car. However you could take it into any audio shop that does installs and have them check it out.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
everwhere i've gone wants to charge like $40 bucks just to look at it

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3539
You can easily test the amp and the subs yourself. What exactly is the problem?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
amp powers on, says it's getting 12-14 volts (D Class Amp)

i get no sound from the sub though.

i tried hooking an ipod up to the amp instead of the head unit and got no sound

hooked amp up to large house speaker capable of 150 watts and had the gain set real low, no sound

Amp is an Alpine MRD-M301 and the sub if an Infinity Perfect 12" DVC

wired to 2 ohms

worked perfectly fine for about 2 months, then it would shut off sometimes. amp wouldn't say "HOT or TEMP" or anything like it should be going into protect mode.

finally after a few days of shutting off at random, it just stopped putting out sound altogether.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3542
If you have DMM, measure the subs. See if you actually get 4ohms or 2ohms. If you do, then the VC is not blown. You can test the subs with home stereo.
As for your amp, it looks like it's blown. Was the gain/level set correctly? Are the fuses on the amp good/blown?
If you have any electronic background, you can open up the amp and start testing different stages. If it were Orion/Zapco/JL, then it's worth spending time, but I hate to tell you this, but Alpine amps are overrated. You can find better amps for the money.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
my DMM doesnt have resistance testing abilities

i also dont have a home stereo to hook the sub to

gain was set to the max level but that should have been fine cause my HU's preout is only 2.2 volts

fuses are fine in the amp

i'm handy with a soldering iron and a multimeter but i wouldnt know where to test different "stages" inside the amp

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
one question...

in a system that works perfectly fine, what kind of voltage should you see going to the sub through the speaker wire?

on mine i get like 0.1 volts going to the sub through the speaker wire from the amp. i figure this means the amp is sending nearly enough signal to move the sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
sorry, meant it's sending NOT nearly enough signal
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us