Fuse in power line

Username: Mlongpre

Post Number: 2
hey i was wondering what the rating on the fuse on the power line had to be for the amp to work properly. does it need to be the exact same rating as the amp has or can it be larger? thanks

Post Number: 3
anyone know the answer...i dont want to use the wrong fuse in the power cable and have my amp screwed up. thanks

WC
Unregistered guest
Larger, if you amp fuse add up to 80 amps, use a 100 amp or 120 amp fuse on the power wire.

Post Number: 4
thanks man i appreaciate it

JuliusGA
Unregistered guest
Do you really need a fuse in the power wire, if you already have 2 fuses in your amp to protect the system? My power wire runs straight from my battery to my amp. System been installed for about 4 months now. I have 2 30 ampere fuses in my amp tho.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 405
The inline fuse doesn't protect the amp at all. It protects the power wire. If too much apereage starts going through the power wire, it could melt and start on fire, thats why you need one.

Username: Oo22~

Post Number: 1
Yea, Isaac is right, never go without a fuse on the power wire no less then a foot away from the battery.

However, I've been using a 60A fuse on my 4AWG wire and my amp has 3 40A fuses on it. I've never blown a fuse before either.

JuliusGA
Unregistered guest
so Isaac, I guess the fuse in the power wire does need to be close to the battery right? A fuse for the power wire came with my amp kit so I decided to put it on after reading this. But I put the fuse towards the end of the wire.

JuliusGA
Unregistered guest
so Isaac, I guess the fuse in the power wire does need to be close to the battery right? A fuse for the power wire came with my amp kit so I decided to put it on after reading this. But I put the fuse towards the end of the wire.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 409
ya you go that backwards. it needs to be within 18 inches from the battery.

JuliusGA
Unregistered guest
hmmm, I switched the wire around and the 60 ampere fuse inside the fuse holder blew up, lol, I don't know how it blew it. I got in my car and crunk it up and system didnt come on. Looked at the fuse and it had blown... Isaac, you wouldn't happen to have any extra ground and power wires would you?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us