Need a specific capacitor

WC
Unregistered guest
I am looking for a 1.2 or 1.5 (1.2 would be better) farad DIGITAL capacitor, also I need the digital read to be in blue. Also I need the capacitor to be chrome or black. I was looking at these, are these any good?

http://gotcmt.sectorlink.org/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=0762

http://gotcmt.sectorlink.org/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=1009

http://gotcmt.sectorlink.org/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=1535

WC
Unregistered guest
Anyone!!?

Silver Member
Username: Loc_out

Post Number: 234
Cap are not like amp and it does not matter which one you get they all work the same.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 455
Not true, capacitors also have ratings like amps do.

WC
Unregistered guest
I think I found tha cap I wanted, its from a company called SPL. Does anyonw have experience with SPL products?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3162
Caps are caps. They may have different sizes, but basically, they're made the same way. You can pay lot of money for a brand name and label or you can buy one that's in the mid range. You will get same performance.
It is very similar to wires. As you know, there are lot of brands claiming their product is better and charge double or triple the normal amount. You can fall for their lies or be smart and get normal wires.

WC
Unregistered guest
I have some question about capacitors. The first thing is I am going to be running 900 watts RMS in my system, I thought a 1 farad cap would do, I've seen people say to get a 1.2 or 1.5 farad cap, which would be better for me?

Another thing I have seen is that people say that capacitors dont really help out your electrical system because the battery would have on more thing to charge, is this true?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3170
WC, if you have 900w rms, then 1.5F - 2F cap will be required. It's 1000w peak per 1F. That's the confusing part, almost every power comparison is done with RMS, but when it comes to cap size, it's the peak power.
Caps will add more stress to your alternator. However, if the power draw is less than the charge stored in the cap, it'll certainly help.
It will not replace a HO alternator. It's best to get a larger alternator than batcap/caps.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 1425
batcaps will help out depending on how many watts rms you are running off of your stock alternator. i whould recommend them over caps if you dont have a HO alternator.

Silver Member
Username: Erik123456

Post Number: 591
i disagree about the caps are caps statement

an alumapro cap is far superior to any of those three....more compact design and more efficent

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4061
hey trevor eatin, his sn is bucsSBchampS 007 has a 1.2 digi farad blue led cap for sale

WC
Unregistered guest
Batcaps? someone fully explain these to me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3175
Erik, you say it's far more superior, but to what? Let's say you have a regular 1F cap, and someone else had 1F Alumapro cap. What do you think will happen when an amp sucks up current? Is the so called "superior" cap going to supply extra current? No. They both will get drained just about the same time.
It's not a miracle cap. Just like $150 power wire won't give you any more sound quality over $80 wire.
You can take that further and apply to speaker wires. Those "monster" cables will NOT give you any more watts than 12 gauge wire. It's just all false advertising.
CrappyShop has monster cable demo in their store. They "claim" it will perform better than a regular 12gauge wire. I think it's a total lie. There is no way you can tell the difference at 5w. And yet their demo system clearly shows the improvement. Don't know how those crooks can have a fake system and claim it as a fact.
If it were true, we'd all be using 0 gauge wires for our speakers.
Anyways, if you like you can spend extra dollars on a "superior" cap. Your choice. It still will NOT replace the need for HO alternator.

WC
Unregistered guest
I think I have a rough idea what batcap are, someone explain though, also, how much would a 200 amp alternator cost? then after you get that alternator what is your next step after you install it, like better cables or what?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3182
200A might cost anywhere from $180 - $300. It'll all depend on your car/model. If you own an American car (popular one), then it'll be much cheaper. Import cars seem to be very expensive.
Batcaps are like half battery and half cap. HO alternator will eliminate the need for batcap.
You will need to upgrade the stock wires, alt to battery, neg to ground, engine to ground.
Use at least 4gauge wires.
After that, you're good to go.

Silver Member
Username: Erik123456

Post Number: 592
Issac - it may not make a huge difference if its a 5 farad to 5 farad but I would be willing to bet on the alumapro for 80 extra bucks - the 5 farad cap is 239 bucks and you know you are gettin a legit big cap that doesnt overstate its claims, comes with a trusted warranty and is of good build quality

to a degree i agree with you, and yea walmart wiring will work but its of cheaper quality and harder to install....same principles

call me crazy but if you ebay alumpapro they hold their value but if you ebay 5 farad power acoustick caps they are like 100 bucks and there are hundreds of them....i know they are mass produced and carried by more stores but I still think they arent as nice.

We should have a cap sound off or test so we can get to the bottom of this though, i wish a car audio magazine would test like 10 caps on teh same system and analyze the results

WC
Unregistered guest
So if I dont want to get a HO alternator I can get a batcap and would work alright? I am going to run 900 watts RMS

Gold Member

Post Number: 3186
The cost of batcap could be in the $200+. A HO alternator can also be in the $200+. You do the math. Alternator is ALWAYS better than a cap/batcap.
Erik, if you ever have time/money, get the best cap you can find, then get another one that's "average". Now install both in identical setup. Run the power through. I can guarantee you that, you will NOT be able to tell a difference in sound quality nor will the higher priced cap outpower the average one. They both will lose the charge at the same time.
As for your wire comparison, it is true somewhat. However, the example I was using were very similar in quality. For example, if you had $150 2000 strands, and $70 2000 strands generic brand, the difference would be so minuet, you'd need a scope to find the benefits. To pay 2x - 3x for that little change isn't worth it.
The point I'm trying to make is, just cause a company uses creative advertising, it doesn't mean their product will perform miracles. All they're after is your money. Why do you think car audio shops will try and sell you monster cables?

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdrummer

Post Number: 382
Let's not start up the "Walmart???" post again!

WC
Unregistered guest
So when you get a HO alternator you wont really need a cap? or would you? Is that true that caps help the bass response from your amp?

WC
Unregistered guest
So when you get a HO alternator you wont really need a cap? or would you? Is that true that caps help the bass response from your amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3188
WC, the reason why people get capacitor is to help with voltage rails. If you had a weak alternator, a cap will help somewhat. As long as the power drain is less than the charge stored in the capacitor, you'll get tight bass.
With HO alternator, the voltage to the amp will not be dropping as much. So it is no longer as useful.

WC
Unregistered guest
Oh so I dont really need a cap then, how about a 200 amp alternator? is that good enought? Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 3190
If you can get 200A alternator for your car, then go ahead. That'll be enough to power your amps and anything else in the car.

WC
Unregistered guest
Oh so some cars cant fit 200 amp alternators?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us