Is there enough power?

Username: Zootreeves

York, Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 6
I have 1 280W amp and 1 2 x 100W amp + the in car 4 x 45W headunit making a total of 660W for the sound system + the car lights and radiator fan etc.

My capacitor reads 12.06v when no music is playing and the engine is off, whe i turn the system up loud it drops to about 11.40v Is this a safe value because i noticed the car ligths were dimming slightly and i know you can damage your speakers that way?

I have the standard battery which came with the car, would a new battery make any difference?

Bronze Member
Username: Adelphia83

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 39
So essentially you have a 200W amp, and a headunit?

If the voltage is only reading 11.4V when the car is ON with the amp playing, you should A) check your power and grounds, or B) seriously check out your alternator, or consider having a higher output installed in it's place. A 200W amp should not draw enough power to make even the weakest alternators (in today's vehicles) reach full load.

12.06V when the car is off indicates a good battery, and should drop to 12.0V (or slightly below) if the amp is playing for a period of time afterwards.

York, Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 9
I had a 280W amp and a 200W amp, but i upgrade yesterday so know I have 4 x 280W amps and 1 200W amp (2240W). I can't see the lights dimming but the capacitor volatage (when the car is running and volume is high) drops from 14.06V to 13.10V. I think i could smell the voice coil buring in one of my front speakers, is this a sign there is not enough power and the amp is clipping?

What can I dod to get more power without getting a new alternator?

York, Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 10
what about connecting two batteries in parallel? would that provide more power?

Infinity Addict
Unregistered guest
voice coil burning on yer front speaker means the amp's RMS x1 channel doesnt match the RMS of your speaker. are the speakers stock? What RMS do they run at? btw, yer HU that reads 4x45W, the 45W is peak power, not RMS.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 437
You can't get more power unless you get a new alternator, that's the only thing that's actually creating power while you are driving. Adding another battery will only add to your problem.
In fact, that capacitor itself is making your power problem worse. What happens is that it discharges and then creates even more load on the alternator because the alternator has to power the system, plus charge back up your battery and capacitor.

Bronze Member

York, Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 11
The rms of the amp (1 channel) is 80W @ 2 ohms the speakers have a rms of 160W @ 2 ohms so i guess this speakers can handle it

Bronze Member

York, Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 14
If I connect this in parallel with my original battery would it give a bit more power? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D7974622666%26&sspagenam e=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT%26

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 42
No, the extra battery will not help as mentioned above.

You need to create power, not just store more of it. Even if you add that second battery, it too will drain under high loads, which complicates the problem, because that adds one more thing the alternator has to power (charge). What you want is the alternator to produce extra current, this has a positive effect on system voltage (most amps will create more power @ higher volteage), and your batteries will not drain.

Bronze Member

York, Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 16
Ok thanks for all your help but are you sure the extra battery will not help?

I understand your point but:

1. If the battery is connected in the boot it will need shorter wires to the amp therefore lower resistance and more current

2. When I am not listing to music or playing it quietly the alternator will charge both batteries and then when i play music loud it will use the power from extra battery (for about 2 hours anyway and then there is no benefit)

I'm probably totally wrong but i want to make sure that i chose the best solution...

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 43
Well the ideal solution is the upgrade the alternator. The resistance of a properly configured power wire is marginal, you could expect at most a 0.5V drop due to the resistance.

The alternator (assuming it can provide the current) should provide 13-14V to the amp, which is significantly higher than the extra battery's 12V (which will drop lower as it is drained).

If you are willing to leave the amp and power accessories off while the batteries are charging, then the extra battery route would work, however you're lights will probably dim, and the alternator will be at max capacity shortening it's lifespan. But assuming you're going this route, there's no reason why you can't just leave the one battery in there, it should be able to power that system for quite a while before completely discharging, especially when the alternator is charging it while it can.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1305
Bottom Line:

An extra battery will help when the engine is off, but hurt while the engine is on.

-Fishy

Bronze Member

York, Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 17
Thanks for your help again. So I need a higher voltage? What about buying a 16v or 14v battery instead, would this not just blow all the lights and stuff?

I know I should get a new alternator but I can't find one anywhere (Fiat Punto Mk2 1.2)

Bronze Member

York, Yorkshire UK

Post Number: 18
Ok this is more of a general car question now. I always presumed that when a car said for example 16v GT or something it had a 16v car battery? But i looked around for one and cannot find any, so is this not true? Does the alternator output 16v?

duffdog
Unregistered guest
you do not want to rig an alternator to output more than 14.4V unless it is only connected to your system and nothing else-- But, installing a very high output alternator and maybe an extra battery would solve all your problems. Just a battery wont do anything to increase the voltage--because the alt still has to charge 2 batteries in parallel and if they are not identical they will have different resistances. This means that only 1 battery will charge efficiently unless you have a dual battery isolator.

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 44
No 16V, (you often see these as badges on the rear of some cars) means a 16 valve engine. You've probably also seen 24V, and 32V (on some cadillacs), which of course again denotes the number of valves the engine has.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us