Glass, Sub, Isaac, Johnathan, Help?

Bronze Member
Username: Calaway

Austin, TX

Post Number: 48
"if you are getting four 4ohm speakers, you will need an amp that will do ~100x4 at 2ohms...not at 4ohms."

Is there any truth to this?

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Terps297

Potomac, MD USA

Post Number: 120
only if the speakers have dual voice coils will you need your amp to put out your power at 2 ohms

if you have svc 4 ohm speakers that need 100 watts each, then your amp must be 100 watts at 4 ohms to each channel

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2805
Most speakers (front and rear) are 4ohms svc. The subs are mostly 4ohms DVC, althought you can get some that are 3ohms DVC and SVC.
With DVCs, it's like having 2 pairs of 4ohms SVC. So the combination would be 8ohms or 2ohms.
In all, 100w x 4 amp is for 4 4ohms svc speakers.
However, most all amps will support 2ohms in stereo mode. So the 100w x 4 will probably do 150w - 200w x 4 at 2ohms.

Bronze Member
Username: Calaway

Austin, TX

Post Number: 50
Thanks guys.

So Isaac, to dumb this down a whole lot more(I am used to subs not door speakers) if I get an amp that does 100x4 at 2ohms and is 50x4 at 4ohms, and I hook each channel to a 4ohm speaker, what will I be getting?

If it is the 50 watts, is there a way to get the 100watts out of them anyway?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2816
You will be getting 50w per speaker. If you want 100w x 4, then double up on the speakers (hook 2 4ohms svc speakers in parallel to get 2ohms).
If that's not possible, then get 2ohms speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us