Diamond Audio, ADS or PPI amps

Bronze Member
Username: Ethan68

Post Number: 11
Anyone heard of the ADS 830X amps? Are they any good and what is the RMS per channel into 4 ohms? Are the Diamond Audio D7104 or PPI PCX4125 better in SQ than the ADS?

Which one do you recommend to drive four Boston Z6? Other models in the Diamond Audio line up, D9,D6...etc?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
What about the ZAPCO Reference Series 1000.4? Any good?

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 187
ALL Zapco is good. ANd if you're driving Boston Z6's you may as well want to stay with the best. Also look into Arcaudio, and Sinfoni.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2181
sinfoni is incredibly expensive! A/D/S amps are very very good amps, top of the line. They stopped making amps after the DEI take over so the A/D/S amps you find are USA made and great amps. Zapco is a great amp as well but the reference series is their lower series but thats not saying much it will still be a better amp then most. PPI makes a good amp but if you want ot power those z6's nicely I would look into a PPI art series amp over the PCX series, try the a600.2 I believe those z6's are 3ohm speakers so you would get about 225x2 very very clean watts to them pushing them very nicely. Thats what I would do but hey your not me. Also look into US amps,Tru Tech,Orion(all before the DEI take over not the new stuff)older PPI art series and pc series then if you cant find those go to the PCX series,arc audio,Jl audio, older soundstream refference series amps,older RF punch series amps like the punch 100 IX or punch 200IX they are great amps also.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Thanks! But what/who is DEI?....

The ADS 830X is offered to me by a friend for about $400, is that a good price? Do you know the specs on them, I can't find them on the web. What about the ADS PQ40.2? Still made in USA? Better than the 830X or not?

As for the PPI art series, I suppose there aren't any new ones out there...right?

Is the Zapco C2K series the better series? What about Arcaudio....KAR or XXK series? Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2194
they are all very good amps you cant go wrong with any of them!

Unregistered guest
When selecting an amp there are a few things to consider:

How many channels do you need? 1 channel = mono, 2&4 channel amps = stereo, and 5 channel amps = stereo plus subwoofer.

How much power (watts) do you need? Wattage power handling doesn't double in volume by multiplying by 2. It is actually logarithmic.

How efficient is the amp? Sensitivity (dB) the higher the sensitivity number i.e; 103 dB is twice as loud as 100 dB. Every 3 decibels is twice as loud.

What type of circuitry does it have? Class A, Class B, Mosfet... Etc.

What is the lowest resistance it can handle? 4 Ohm, 2 Ohm, 1 Ohm...Etc.

Is the amp bridgeable? Do this by connecting the (+) from channel 1 and the (+) from channel 2 to a speaker to double the power to you speaker.

Are the connectors heavy duty; for low gauge wire? Are they gold plated?

Are the buttons and dials easy to adjust, or do you need an eye glass repair kit?

Does the amp have high input and low input terminals or both? Is this important to you?

Does it have proper cooling engineering? Heat-sinks, fans...Etc.

Does the amp have the features you need? i.e; bass boost, LFL, LPF, HPF, electronic/variable crossover...Etc?

Is the amp within your budget?

Is it worth the money compared to others on the market?

Unregistered guest
One more thing:

THD = Total Harmonic Distortion; the lower % the better.

THD is the amnout of distortion that is added to the original signal recieved from your CD/Stereo or whatever...

In other words after the signal goes through all your amps circuitry it comes out slightly altered. It is usually garbage noise.

< .1% THD in Bridge mode at low Ohm load is acceptable

< .05% THD in Mono mode at low Ohm load is acceptable

< .009% THD in stereo mode above 4 Ohm load is acceptable

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Thanks guys! But does anyone have the specs for the ADS 830X?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us