Factory Refurbished amps?

Bronze Member
Username: Stamant

Pensacola, FL USA

Post Number: 40
Does anyone know anything about factory refurbished amps, in particular, Rockford Fosgate? How reliable are these amps? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 1207
Well to me refurbished amps aren't worth buying. You 3 choices, buy new amp (best choice), buy used amp, and then your last choice, buy refurbished amp.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 237
refurbished means that the manufacturer repaired it and it meets all the required specifications of a new amp. much better than used.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1208
That is not always the case. You'd be surprised how many of them DO NOT fix every single problem. You say refurbished amps are better than used? You show me one that's better than my used amps. They are in great shape and never been abused.
The point is, in theory, refurbished are suppose to be in perfect condition. In reality, that's not the case. I've seen so called "remanufactured" amps that go back for repairs many times.
The only refurbished amp I'll trust, is Zapco.

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 244
If I buy a used amp from someone I have no idea if they took as good of care of it as you do yours. Plus a refurb usually has a warranty.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1212
Yes that's true also. It's like buying anything used. You need to do some homework. I prefer to buy it new, but sometimes it's not possible. For example, Orion HCCA. I found a used amp in great condition at a good price. Can't get them new anymore. It is one beautiful amp. It's the only amp that I have seen comparable to Zapco.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3076
Totally agree with you. I'm still contemplating whether I want to go the Zapco route on my next system build, or go old school with either PPI Black Art series or Orion SX amps. Refurbs can be just as good, it depends on which company you're talking about. Many companies don't replace just the component that failed, a lot of them just replace the entire circuit board. Newer electronics are a whole lot different than they used to be. Where you used to just diagnose the problem and change out a tube or something similar, now everything is modular and you replace the entire circuit board with no problem, and it's cheaper that way because it saves time. Same situation as the guys who went to school to be a TV and Radio repairman, they're SOL now :-).

Silver Member

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 249
i haven't heard of zapco. are they the top of the line?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3079
Very much so. Highest of high end car audio amps, same as Arc Audio, US amps, Tru Technology, Brax, Audison, etc.
http://www.zapco.com
Look at the C2k series amps, you'll see the specs and also the huge price tag :-)

monoblog
Unregistered guest
Howabout a refurb Kicker?

Propaganda13
Unregistered guest
I'd much rather buy used than refurb. Yeah, it'd be fine if you knew they swapped out the whole board but you don't. When electronics go, there's a good chance that they've damaged or weakened other electronics that they're connected to.

sigepscbeta
Unregistered guest
I had good luck with my refurb kicker 500.2, no complaints. ...now my refurb panasonic dvd player on the other hand...didnt even power on.

monoblog
Unregistered guest
ahah guess i'll stay away from refurbs :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us