I've got a question for glass

dont know what to do
Unregistered guest
ok here it goes, i got mny whole system, one amp 400 watt (i have 4 drivers, 2 are 700 rms the other are 60 watts rms), powers my inside drivers, my other amp 500 watt powers my subs(each 500 watts), i've got a capacitor 2 farad.

alright, i didnt want to pay like 300 bucks to have this audio shop install my stuff because i have a friend that did his whole gig and it sound pretty good, so he hooked it all up for me. thing is that he connected the 12v to my head unit! the ground is also connected to the ground on my head unit, now it all works pretty good and all but then he hooked up the capacitor now every other time i start my car, i blow a fuse in the stock fuse box of car,

SHOULD I CONNECT TO directly to the battery or take off the capacitor???

Silver Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 296
Ground wire of each unit should be short and grounded to the car chassis. I hope he didn't hook up the capacitor's ground to the amp or the HU! make sure everything is grounded to the metal chassis of the car and be sure to scrape off any paint before grounding anything. No ground of 1 device should be connected to the ground of another! What do you mean by connect 12v to my HU anyway?

dont know what to do
Unregistered guest
he used the 12 v of the HU to power the amp, so in turn he connected the the 12v to the cap, yeah hes using the same ground for all devices, HU, amp, and cap, what should i do?

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 298
i have no i dea how this all works, but i assume you're talking about the power wire. Amp should have a separate wire running from the battery. Capacitor is connected to that wire between the amp and the battery. Capacitor is to be close to the amp and properly grounded to the car chassis as well, not to the amplifiers ground terminal!

Silver Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 299
I meant to say I have no idea how your equipment even turns on.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us