JBL 180.2 stopped working

Kyle M
Unregistered guest
Hey, I really need some help. First, heres a rundown of my system:

Alpine 9827
CDT cl-61 powered by JBL 180.2
2 x Adire Shiva powered by JBL 1200.1
KnuKonceptz wires

Everything was working nicely for about a month or so, until I was turning up the volume (to about 23) when the front speakers just stopped working. I checked the amp and its not getting any power. All of the fuses (the amp and under the hood) are good, and the ground is also fine (I checked the resistance). I don't know what the problem is and its really irritating. Somebody please help me :-(

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4521
use a DMM and check for voltage at the amplifier
check remote trigger voltage too
make sure you don't have a short in the speaker wiring, such as a speaker terminal grounding out against the door frame or something.
go through start to finish and check for problems in a linear manner.

Kyle M
Unregistered guest
ok the remote turn on had proper voltage, but I'm gettin nothin at the power wire (I havent checked the speaker wires yet)

Kyle M
Unregistered guest
just checked again... there is correct voltage at power wire also

i tried using the fuses from the 1200.1 amp, but that didnt do anything

if there was a short, then the fuse would blow right?
i guess it has to be something inside the amp???

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4526
if there was a short the amp could have internal thermal protection that's tripping and shutting off the amp.
that was why I'd mentioned it as worth checking.

the amp may just be damaged.

Kyle M
Unregistered guest
ok i tried turning the amp on without the speaker wires hooked up and it still didnt do anything...

i'm going to take the amp apart myself before having it professionally repaired if it would be possible to diagnose any obvious problems that could cause it to stop working...

glass (or anybody else) could you possibly give me a link or short explanation so i can know what obvious problems to look for inside a class A/B JBL power series amp?

thanks

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4582
http://www.bcae1.com/repairtutorialcdinfo.htm

worth the price and then some.

Kyle M
Unregistered guest
Thanks, but i dont think I have the necessary equipment or time (college student >_<) to properly fix the amp myself... its still under warranty by JBL so I guess I'm going to call them and figure out how I can get it serviced, unless it would be better to replace it...

have amp serviced or replace it???

thanks again

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4819
go with warranty repair. for sure.
btw, your college, if they have any sort of EE program, should have everything needed for fixing an amp in one of their labs.. hehe
scopes, meters, probes, soldering and de-soldering equipment..

Silver Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac, FL USA

Post Number: 582
Hehe... yep back before store bought ones were readily available I almost built a 120v 1/2 farad stiffening cap from "free" stuff layin around in a EE storeroom. Only problem was it woulda been big enough to use as a personal flotation device.

You'd probably get plenty of help fixin that thing. They love it when students take an interest.

:-)

-Fishy

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 4867
heck I built my first oscilloscope from a "Bell & Howell" kit.
man that was a while ago.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us