Good (best?) gaming headphone?

Username: Rain01

Post Number: 1
Hi everybody

I play quite a few games and until now i always relied on my Creative 5.1 speakers. For a audio-newbie like me they sound good, i love the surround sound in games (especially to locate opponents) and i grew used to them. Though, since i'm not living alone anymore, i was considering to purchase some good headphones.
I did some research and checked some shops in my area. After a bit it seems that there aren't really good 5.1 headphones and since of the spatial limits of headphones they don't reproduce positional audio that good anyway.

I would like to ask you a few things about the perfect (or almost) gaming headphone.

Since i red all this rather negative or still unspectacular comments about surround headphones i would like to know if a very good stereo headphone which reproduces emulated 3D sound is still better than a surround headphone.

What i'm looking for is a way to keep the room i'm playing in quite and still have a good positional sound awareness (if that's even understandable :-)) through surround or emulated surround headphones.
Moreover, since i make heavy use of VOIP, the headphone should preferably have a mic,
But most important is the surround sound and general sound quality of the headphone, be it gaming or other things, i simply don't want to miss my speakers, even for more than a few hours, so comfort is needed.

Until now i took a closer look at the following products:

- Zalman ZM-RS6F
- Turtlebeach Ear Force (several here, PC Gaming category)
- LBT Magnum

I found some comments / reviews on these on the forums and i red some reviews on the web.
Sadly they all seem to get rather negative or average scores, be it poor surround/stereo sound, bad price/value ratio, uncomfortablility or cheap manufactoring. The Zalman seems to be the only one with rather good reviews which confuses me a bit, since zalman is known for many things, but not for headphones.
I took a look at seenheiser webpage too, but i'm very confused since i'm pretty ignorant about what would be best to get good surround sound out of headphones.

If someone could shed some light on this, and give me a good feeling of what the gurus think is a good way to listen to 5.1 sound, i would be very grateful to you.
Sorry for the long post, wanted to be clear, better safe than sorry :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us