HELP!!!! need help wiring 1/4" jack for Sony MDR CD180 headphones

Username: Bumper69

Post Number: 1
Im about to shoot myself ! Could someone please help me figure out how to wire a new jack for these dumb headphones?!? Here is the situation: the cord that comes down from the earpieces is split into two. 1 side has a green/blue thin wire and a thicker plain wire. The other side has a red wire and a thicker plain wire. I twisted the 2 plain wires together assuming they were the shield and connected them to the sleeve. I put the green wire on the tip and the red on the ring. Voila .. NOTHING !! no sound, not even a scratch or sizzle. I've tried every configuration I can think of and nothing works. The old jack is encased in plastic and I can't get to it to see how it was wired before, but it does appear that the wires are in pairs. So I have no earthly idea how this thing was wired. Somebody .. PLEASE help !!! With gratitude in advance .. Richard

Bronze Member
Username: Kpa2727

Post Number: 39
the plain wire is typically shielding. the green and blue wires are coated copper i need to exose the copper fastest way is hold the wire indiviually one by one over a open flame like a candel, not to close or the coating will ignite expose the copper then retry the blur green to one headphone see if u get sound if u do solder it then repeat for the other u should be good to go. most are very different so i can't promise anything.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us