Archive through February 06, 2006

Unregistered guest
First of all, death to all double+ posters. Click Post this Message ONCE and wait for it, going back and clicking it again or double clicking doesn't solve anything. Oi.

Secondly, read all the posts before posting your problem, the databases on messageboards don't need to be quadroupled in size by identical problems, making it hard for techs to find unique problems and give the users useful information. If your problem is posted already, WAIT for an answer.

And take note, the larger the database, the longer it takes to parse and load, so I hope an admin comes by soon and cleans up this thread a bit. My post may be deleted as well.

For the record, I too have the Curtis MP257 (URL: http://www.curtisint.com/web/browser.asp?productID=MP257&catName=MP3%20PLAYERS&b rand=CURTIS ), the Recovery mode on my MP3 player, however, doesn't come on. It seems the entire player was wiped. I never had it near any magnets, but I did drop it on concrete once.

If there's anyone out there that can make a USB Device Purger, listing all the devices whether unknown or not by a present power use, letting a user to purge the selected USB device and attempt an upload of firmware, then we may be getting somewhere. If there are no real techs on this board...then I hope I can still bring this POS back.

Don't buy products by Curtis International, durability gets -100 points. To irate users like me, boycott them, send them 100+'s of E~Mails and kill their servers! They deserve it. lol

jag_sahota
Unregistered guest
i have a curtis mp3 player and it tells me that i have an "incorecct format, reformat the player!!" how do i reformat a an mp3 player and what is reformating anyway??

jag_sahota
Unregistered guest
i have a curtis mp3 player and it tells me that i have an "incorecct format, reformat the player!!" how do i reformat a an mp3 player and what is reformating anyway??

problemshooter
Unregistered guest
wow... you know some of you are asking the same question... READ BEFOREHAND PEOPLE

I can't belive that all of these poeple bought one of these peices of crap. you all should know damn well that they make crappy (and cheap) walkmans and judgeing from you problems there just as bad with mp3's

don't get me wrong. I still have mine.. and it's actilly better then my newer creative.. but these things break down alot

keep in mind that if you can't format it or turn it on, then there's little hope unless you take it back

what!
Unregistered guest
hey, my stupid curtis player is busted. One day I turned it o and it said INCORRECT FORMAT PLEASE REFORMAT PLAYER, and it has not worked since. Help!

Username: Zzserty

Post Number: 1
Can someone send me Firmware for curtis 1G
Thanx.
sipi.oshte@gmail.com

Unregistered guest
i downloaded korean songs on my curtis mp3 (991 mb)player but when i read the title, instead of korean, weird look letters and characters were displayed instead of korean. (ex. @!%*^) however in some parts of the menu the korean does display. how can i make korean come out and not :%&*@!^?

Anonymous

To get Windows to recognize the STMP3500 device on a Muvo TX FM, I first had to install "Creative Mass Storage Driver 1.07.00.250" from Creative's Customer Support download section.

Hope
Unregistered guest
I saw someone posted having the same problem as me, yet no resolution offered. Perhaps someone can help.

I bought my 1G MP3 player 3 months ago, and have never tried to upload more than about 100 songs (lack of time mostly). So a few days ago, I tried to upload 720Meg of songs and after about 540 Meg it tells me it's full!!! So I took it back yesterday, got a new one, and the same thing happens!!

Why do they advertise a 1G MP3 player and you can only use half??

Has this happened to anyone else? More importantly, if it DID happen to you, what's the fix??

Username: Sknippelberg

Post Number: 2
i had one of the 1 gb mp3 players and had the same problem with it i tried and tried to fix it , and i found the solution - take it back and get a differant brand like an i river or sony 1gb walkman

Pissed Off Person
Unregistered guest
I dont have a Curtis mp3 player but it uses the same sigmatel MSCN hardware, it is 256mb and is totally fuked. At first it would randomly turn off, then it began to skip. On my comp sometimes it would not recognise, then it would work, then it would come up with found H/W STMP3500, then it just wouldn't work all together. All i get is the backlight coming up now in and out of a computer. Not even the fukin firmware worked.

Username: Avo

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Hello All,
Plse note the following reason why it appears at first that your Curtis 1 gig player cannot store more than 400 - 500 meg.

SYMPTOM
Curtis Customers of the MP1000 reach the FAT16 file/folder limit of 512 for the root directory and all of them have between 300 - 500 meg still available.
Yet they all cannot load anymore files.

CAUSE
The MP1000 is coming preformatted from the factory in FAT16
We have found out that although the max FAT16 file/folder limit is 512 for the root directory, long file names can reduce the number of available files and folders in the root folder. (Such is the case with MP3 song titles)
This is due to a Windows FAT16 formating limitation.

SOLUTION - TO ELIMINATE THIS PROBLEM

1 - REFORMAT THE PLAYER IN FAT32
Reformat the MP3 player in FAT32. This should theoretically increase the maximum number of files/folders to 65,536 and thereby eliminate this type of problem.

2 - MANUAL CHANGES THAT WILL BE IMPLEMENTED IN FUTURE PRODUCTION
a) There is only one mention of formatting in the operation manual and it mentions that the user should select FAT or FAT32 for the format switch.
This should be changed so that the end user is guided to format only in FAT32.

b) IF USING FAT16 - CREATE SUBFOLDERS - The customer should be informed in the manual to reorganize music in subfolders in order to increase the maximum available file count if the FAT16 format needs to be used for whatever reason.

RGRDS,
avo

Unregistered guest
i have a problem with an mp3 player from xiron at 128 MB,i format him in windows xp and now when i tunr it on say`s Unformat, i have the cd from him but my coumputer does`not see him,pls help me Thanls

Walewander
Unregistered guest
Sheldon I'm having the same problem as you. When I go into Navigate, I can find all my other tracks - but I can't figure out how to open and play them!! Any ideas?

Unregistered guest
i just bought a 128mb curtis mp3 player, i lost the installation cd, does any one know where i can find a driver for windows 98?

let me know at shadoweddrive@yahoo.ca

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Hello All,

If you have any issues with Curtis MP3 players,
Please let me know. I have been asked by Curtis Management to provide Tech Support for our MP3 players in this forum,

regards

regards

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 3
Ed98,
Follow the link to download your win98 driver on the curtis wesite

http://www.curtisint.com/web/browser.asp?productID=MP128&catName=&brand=CURTIS&m anual=MP128

Regards,
Curtis Tech Support

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 4
Zzserty
I've just emailed to you the winzipped file for the mp1000 firmare.
install it into a new folder and execute setup.

If you have any problems, let me know.

regards,
Curtis Tech Support

Sammy C
Unregistered guest
Hiya, i have an unbranded MP3 player (on the box it says MP3 Digital MP3 Player)the installation disk just has drivers and no installations (apart from winamp and LRC or sumit it uses Sigmatel MSCN

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 5
ED98,
The previous link was incorrect.

click to download the win98 driver/firmware pack on this link below

http://www.curtisint.com/html/CustService/Manuals/CUR_MP128_DR98.ZIP

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 6
To all Curtis MP3 Player End Users,

Sigmatel is one of the largest manufacturers of mp3 player DSP chips in the world.
This is why Microsoft (since Win2K) has SigmaTel in it's driver signature list.

This is also why Curtis has chosen these DSP chips in the heart of it's current MP3 player lineup.

However, each MP3 player circuit design is slightly different from another. Some may have built in tuners or have line in capability or address more memory. Display differences are also an issue, keypad layouts etc.

Because of this, when the firmware (bin file)is written, it is written specific for only that machine.
This is why we also find that downloading the wrong bin often kills the unit.

The uploading process is a subroutine in the operating system (firmware) of the unit and is meant to communicate with the downloading software on the install disk.

If the MP3 player is dead because of a corrupt operating system, so does it's ability to refresh itself with another clean image.

If a Curtis MP3 player appears to be dead because of a bad operating system, it can be put into Recovery mode.

Recovery mode allows communication to take place directly with the SigmaTel DSP chip in low level machine language bypassing the operating system.

A new image of the operating system can then be downloaded again into flash memory on the player.

RECOVERY MODE
To put any Curtis MP3 player into recovery mode and communicate with it,

First install the software on the CD disk's driver install folder.
The Sigmatel firmare downloading utility and bin file will be installed on your PC at this point.

Then put the player into Recovery Mode.

1)Remove the Battery from your MP3 player.

2)Press and hold the play or stop button for 5 seconds.

3)While still holding down the button, connect the player to the PC.

4)Release the button.

5)At this point the player will be detected by the found new hardware wizard and the new hardware wizard popup window will appear and disappear quickly.

TRANSFER THE NEW IMAGE
Go to Start, Programs, and select SigmaTel MSCN Audio Player.

Click on firmware download for the detection and image transfer to commence.

Reformatting during the firmware downloading is an option that should be checkmarked if formatting the unit was impossible before the reflashing process.

Everything should be back to normal at this point.

regards,
Curtis Tech Support

Unregistered guest
i've got the free hsbc player as well and it wont let me access it through explorer, "the request could not be performed because of an I/O error"

im on winxp and dont have any of the software apart from the basic drivers. Initially the mp3 was kinda working but was crashing when copying over files, then it kept askign me to format, and now it won't let me access it at all.

bazzer82@hotmail.com if anyone can help

cheers.

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 7
Dave,
What is the model number of your unit?

regards,
Curtis Tech Support

Unregistered guest
Anybody knows How to upgrade firmware in Sony chipset 512 mp3 /FM/Voice Rec player...
previously it was working and fromatted in fat 32 from that time it was showing lot of problems
after that i clicked firmWare upgrade Button.Now its Showing only "Starting......" nothing else
Can u help me to Down load that FIRMWARE and Restoring it.

mainbunny
Unregistered guest
hi guys,
tried all day to check/update firmware on no name mp3 player from maplins using the little cd that came with it....could not install the firmware manager..thanks to A2rael giving the following url http://www.mydisgo.com/downloads/downloads_idisgo98driver.php
have now updated firmware successfully..on xp machine b.t.w.
cheers.

Denis L
Unregistered guest
Hey,
My Curtis 512MB Mp3 player seems to be dead but is not responding when I try to put it in Recovery Mode. When I hold the play button and connect it to the PC, the backlight will come on but the LCD will not display anything. When I try to update the Firmware, the device could not be found even after a long time of searching.
It seemed to be working fine before and then all of a sudden shut off and would not start again. Basically the backlight is the only thing that is working. Any suggestions? Thanks

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 8
Denis,
Is this the initial procedure that you followed?

Put the player in recovery mode
1. Take out the battery from battery compartment.
2. Press and hold the play button. Do not release it until step 4.
3. Plug the MP3 player into the USB port of your computer.
4. Hold for 5 seconds and release the play button.
5. Leave the MP3 player in the USB port for the firmware upgrade steps.

regards,
Curtis Tech Support

wylie f.
Unregistered guest
my mp3 player will not even turn on only the blscklight thing will come up and when i try to do the firmware download it wont work and it just says device could not write device timeout and then it wont do anything it wont even come up as a removable disk when i try to look at it on my computer ive had this thing 7 months and its already broken help please

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 9
Denis,

For your defective Curtis MP3 Player,
We will be glad to repair / exchange it for you.
Please return your Curtis player in a bubble lined envelope(prepaid) along with a brief note, a copy of your bill of sale and return address to:

Curtis International Ltd.
Customer Care Department
315 Attwell Drive
Toronto Ontario,
MRW 5C1

Regards,
Curtis Tech Support

Denis L
Unregistered guest
Hey,
Yes, I did all those steps but I think I will return it. Thanks alot for all the information Alex.

Denis L
Unregistered guest
Hey,
I'm thinking of sending the defective player back but I can't seem to find the receipt. I went back to the place I bought it but they couldn't help me. Can I still send it back or is it a lost cause
Thanks

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 10
Denis,
You still have 1 year warranty from date of manufacture.
What is the serial number of your unit?
This would be inside the battery compartment.

regards,
Curtis Tech Support

Unregistered guest
Darkexiledone , I have the identical problem. Did you ever resolve? I have used a PC since 1981 and this is the first device that I cannot make work. Piece of JUNK!

Unregistered guest
Is there any other way to get my curtis mp 1000 into recovery mode, when i put it and while holding the play/pause button down and let it go after 5 seconds, the computer just detects it as normal, and then if i hold it down for along time, some randon thing pops up saying "this device can perform faster" i have no idea to get it into recovery mode, and im wondering if there is an easier way

Anonymous

mines screwed too sue the basstards sue the basstards

Jenncorin
Unregistered guest
I have used my Curtis MP3 player once. Now my computer will not even recognize it when I plug it in. Does anyone know how this could be fixed? Please let me know. Thanks.
If not, lesson learned, don't buy Curtis products and spread the word!

Ed98
Unregistered guest
k thanks the link worked but i got another problem, it won't work on my computer, th intalltion program came up but then after i said i agree to the license, it quits ans ays something like not enough memory, i know i have lots of memory, why is it doing this?

Unregistered guest
Alex I see youre from customer support from curtis. I just found this forum a coupple hours ago and from reading this I tried to fix my 256 mb curtis mp3 player. I've only had it for about 3 months then it just stopped working, my computer can't even detect it. the only thing it will ever do is the backlight will come on. I've tried to put it in recovery mode and then I seen that I could ship it for warrenty. I wonder if I could ship my and get it repaired under my warrenty.

Izaldin
Unregistered guest
Hi, I recently recieved a MP3 player from HSBC from opening a bank account with them...but it just decides to shut down after playing a few songs, and I've no idea how to work it...the player is unbranded all it says is Digital MP3 Player on it...just wondering if there's some sort of firmware upgrade for it or something? Thanks.

Izaldin
Unregistered guest
Alright, on further inspection I've realised my MP3 player has decided it only wants to play the files that amount to 128mb...anything after that, it shuts down. How do I get the damn thing to realise it's 512mb? My PC says capacity is 512 so...

Denis L
Unregistered guest
Hey,
Sorry, I've been away for a while and haven't been able to check this site. If youre still checking this Alex, I only bought this mp3 player about 3 months ago. The SIN is 050764247. Can I still send it back?

Thanks
Denis

ooooo
Unregistered guest
hi all, when i start the firmware download it searches for devices on system. how long does it take to search because when i do it, it takes a very long time so i quit it. and before i start dowload firmvare, the player recovery device is in the device manager but after i start it it disappears. can anyone help.

Anonymous

i have in my player new firmware, and bootmanager.sb is probably wrong and i cant turn on my player, it cannot connect with computer.
what can i do??
pls help!

Unregistered guest
HELP! I have an Curtis MP3 PLayer that was given to me as a present, and for the first day, it was working fine, I could load and unload files off the player with ease, no problems at all. But today I was listening to it while shoveling snow, and I think the battery may have died, so when I replaced the battery with another one about ten minutes later, when it turned on, it said " Incorrect format, Reformat the player!". I tried reformatting the player, but everytime I go to "My Computer" and and right click on the drive and click reformat, nothing happens at all. Unfortunately I dont have the CD. And when I put it in to recovery mode, it says its found the device, and it does some kind of driver search, but then says it cannot find the driver. Please PLEASE help, as I really liked this product while it was in use.

Unregistered guest
I also would like to note, that I have seemed to misplace the cap for the player, andI dont even have the receipt anymore, so I know I cant return it, but is there anyway to help me get the drivers?

Unregistered guest
Okay, I FINALLY was able to do the firmware thing because I downloaded the win98 drivers and install them, and the Sigmatel MSCN Audio Player stuff was downloaded, so then I did the firmware download, and it seemed that everything was okay.
I could open the drive and everything. I then proceed to removing the MP3 player after all was done and fine, and now it wont even turn on. Please help...thanks.

Unregistered guest
I FIXED IT!

Oh praise god. I fixed it. I tried the firmware thing again and for some reason, it works now! Thank god! I also suggest that someone address this problem to someone working for Curtis because it seems that alot of people are disappointed about these problems.

Bronze Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 11
Glad u fixed your problem with the firmware download and in recovery mode Milesp707

regards,
Curtis Tech Support

Curtis Service
Unregistered guest
Yes... Well like even if you do reformat ANY mp3 player it takes 3 hours... soo be perpared...it sucks i know just keep better care of it and it wont do it so much and so badly...EVERY mp3 player says it will occur once a year!

Nbc
Unregistered guest
Hi!
I have a MP257 Curtis mp3 player, and when I turn it on it says : Incorrect format, reformat the player! I have tried to do so, but it still doesn't work. I have also tried to put it on Recovery mode, but I can't find "SigmaTel MSCN Audio Player" in my program list. Help!

Unregistered guest
hello, i have the HSBC free player thing that doesn't really work most of the time - it keeps turning itself off a lot of the time...
i also can't get the driver from the cd to install

any help would be great thanks!
bye

Coder
Unregistered guest
is there a way to make my MP1000 run at usb 2.0?

Current firmware is 003.000.293
Chip version 3500

I get a max of 850KBps (usb 1.1) only.
I'm sure my XP-SP2 is usb2 enabled as my camera connects at 2.0 speeds.

Alex, please email me an update for the firmware (if available) at codeoflife_removefromunderscore@gmail.com

Bronze Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 12
Hello Coder,
pls stand bye while we check for you

Regards,

Bronze Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 13
Hello Nbc,
SigmaTel Audio Player becomes avaailable in your program list after you install it from your disk.

1. Spin your installation disk
2. Within a few seconds the initial screen will prompt you if you wish to install the driver.
3. Go for the install

Once completed you will see the program listed.

Plse PM me when you are ready and i'll be glad to help you out

regards,
Alex

Bronze Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 14
Hello dent42,
Is your model the Equinox 256Mb player?

Regards

Unregistered guest
People these days rely on forums 2 anwser all there problems which they usually do but people use your head and go 2 the curtis website and find your drivers. Its not very hard to find and is a lot faster than reading forums word for word because as you can see this is a verrrry long 1. The site gives you the drivers for all curtis mp3 makes. All the drivers say win 98 but they work on me, 2k and xp as well. The only driver they don't offer is the one for the mp1000 (the black 256 mb 1) If this is your mp3 player INSTALL THE OTHER DRIVERS AT YOUR OWN RISK! If you install those on that player, it completly screws up the controls making different buttons do different things like skip backwards turns to volume up and stop turns to mode. (all buttons change). I tryed this on mine when i got the dredded *incorrect format ""* message and everything installed smoothly but it was screwed when i tryed it. People we need to realize curtis is a serious blow @$$ company wen it comes to mp3 players and there products shouldnt even be aloud in our markets. All they bring is trouble and there so un-professional they dont even supply drivers for all there products only some also they have a mixture of french and english manuals 4 there products (some eng some fr) BOOO DOWN WITH CURTIS!!!!!!!!

Bronze Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 15
Curtis is an International Company that sells not only to the US but to Canada, Mexico and the United Kingdom as well.
The reason that some manuals are in French and others are in English and others in Spanish is because not all products are sold in all markets.

If you have any problems with any Curtis player, pls PM us and we will help you resolve any issues you have. We will do whatever it takes to fix what went wrong and make sure that it does not happen to someone else.

I know that this is a long thread but
as far as the MP3 players and loading the wrong firmware into them I've already answered this ...

https://www.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/show.pl?tpc=15118&post=501514#POST501514

This is the latest MP3 player in Curtis's lineup. There has been no need for a firmware upgrade until this time.
But it is sites such as these which generate the feedback from individuals who care enough to tell us what went wrong in the field which helps us design better next generation products or help improve exisitng ones.
It is not enough to POST "down with Curtis or Boo Curtis. We need to to know exactly what it is that has got to change and we will change it.
In 2006, this is a promise from us to you, and we will be here in this forum to help you.

Best Regards,
Alex

problemshooter
Unregistered guest
Alex. is Sigma's chips the only ones you are going to use? or do you plan to make your own in the future? I'm sorry to ask if you don't know.

Also, people have got to stop repeating the same questions over and over again it gets triesome

Anonymous

Please Alex Vouistis:
Is there any way to create and use playlists on a Curtis MP3 player? I got a M1000 at Christmas, and donwloaded many songs on it. When I connect it in my car (cassette adapter) I would like to use a playlist-like feature, to be able to play randomly, say, pop music, or Christmas music, or only one folder, but I find no way to do it, the player always play all the tracks in it one after the other.
Any idea?

Unregistered guest
no, its the 512mb one.... (i think- it doesn't actually say anywhere on the package or player what model it is but it holds 512mb...)

thanks for any help
bye

Pierre Jetté
Unregistered guest
OK, maybe it was not formulated the good way!
Please anybody:
Is there any way to create and use playlists on a Curtis MP3 player? I got a M1000 at Christmas, and donwloaded many songs on it. When I connect it in my car (cassette adapter) I would like to use a playlist-like feature, to be able to play randomly, say, pop music, or Christmas music, or only one folder, but I find no way to do it, the player always play all the tracks in it one after the other.
Any idea?

Username: Goldrush102

I just baught a curtis mp3 and i dont know how to download songs! in the manual it says i need to get files from Windows Explorer what is windows explorer? Internet Explorer? please help me iv never used an mp3 or iPod and im not sure what to do. please, help me!

Pierre Jetté
Unregistered guest
Mitchell:
1- -Windows Explorer-
When you connect the MP3, it installs itself like any hard drive. Meaning that when you connect the Curtis MP3, wait a few seconds (depends of your system. 10-30 seconds in worst cases), then go to 'My COmputer' on the desktop, and clik twice. Typically, you will then see the C: drive, the D: or E: drive which is (are) the CDROM drives, and another one, named F: on my system, and which is the Curtis MP3 player!
Then, letting that 'window' open, you should locate the files that you want to transfer on the MP3 reader, in another 'window'. Then, just and only click on the file(s), and drag them on the window of the MP3 drive! That magic is done by a software that is called 'Windows Explorer' on Windows systems, transparently.
When that step is completed, unconnect the MP3 reader (see instructions), then you are on your own to listen the tunes.
2 -Tunes downloading-
THAT is an interesting question! There are many services on the Net offering to download tunes, the most known being iTunes from Apple and iPod background. But using Windows Media Player, you can insert a CD in your computer, and copy that disk (or any number of tracks you choose from that CD) on your computer, or into the MP3 Reader. I do think that it is much longer to explain how to do that, too long to be printed here, but I suggest that you open Windows Media Player (on your system, assuming of course that you are using Windows on a PC), and take a look at the menus at the top, whom third is something like 'Extract' (my own system is in French), and read the documentatiuon starting there.
I hope i did not make it more confusing...

Unregistered guest
Trouble Shooting
Q: The LCD displays nothing after turning on the MP3 player.

A:
1 Check to see if the battery has been inserted;
2 Check to see if the battery needs replacement: Try reinserting the battery correctly or replace it.
3 If it still does not work, go to next step.

Put the player in recovery mode
1 Take out the battery from battery compartment.
2 Press and hold the play button. Do not release it until step 4.
3 Plug the MP3 player into the USB port of your computer.
4 Hold for 5 seconds and release the play button.
5 Leave the MP3 player in the USB port for the next step.

Refresh the firmware
1 On your computer run the Firmware Download utility go to:
Start > Programs > SigmaTel MSCN Audio Player > Firmware Download
2 The utility will start to search the MP3 player. Please wait until the Firmware Download window appears.

I have done these steps but when I start Firmware Download I got a message: Media state is not initialized.
After Ok I got Firmware window and after check Format Data I clicked Start button.
It works but it freeze in the midle and after about one minute I get a windows message:
Operating system reported error: The semaphore timeout period has expired.

Does anyone know what the problem is ?

Help !

Pierre Jetté
Unregistered guest
OK, I do understand that nobody could, nor would submit an answer for my playlist question. Forget about that, I will try somewhere else.

Unregistered guest
Hello everybody.I come from Poland.And I bought this mp3 player in 1 giga memory version .First i have a problem to share a file between mp3 player and computer.But a find the way how to do it anyway.But i have a big problem whith sound.Because ehen i listen some song and i stoped them i hire some bad voice.Some not clear sound.Of course I tasted many version of headphones.But problem exist of course :-(For me,this is not normal for new mp3 player.And natural is very irritating when you here this sound :-(Please give me some advice what i must to do because,i'm going to be unhappy from this mp3 player :-(

Nanook333
Unregistered guest
Just got a curtis 512 from future shop and i am having the exact same problem i had with my old creative that i had to replace. The battery is brand new, but the mp3 player will not turn on. When connected through USB i can download and transfer music but when disconnected it will not turn on. Tried the firmwear thing and it was a no go, any other ideas

Unregistered guest
How do you reformat your MP3 player?...Ive been told that you delet all the songs in the drive and i have done that but my player still says that i need to reformat my player when there is spose to be no songs on it b/c i deleted them...help...if anyone could email me and help a girl that doesnt know what shes doing thad be great! lol email at.... kiddo_247@hotmail.com thanks

Username: Jcc

San francisco, CA USA

I did firmware update, and my MP3 went dead. Does anyone know what is the problem?

Dinu
Unregistered guest
I have a Curtis 1 gig, and I have put on a bunch of songs using Windows media player sync. But when I go to listen to them, only the first half of them are actually on the device. The folders for all the bands are there, but the second half of them are just empty! Curtis sucks! Any suggestions?

Unregistered guest
How do you download songs from limewire to a mp3 player(not ipod) i have a curtis mp3player and i'm clueless as to how to download songs from LIMEWIRE to my mp3 player... HELP!!! please ;) i need help step by step.....u can also e-mail me at Dagirlballa19@yahoo.com thanks

Unregistered guest
How do you download songs from limewire to a mp3 player(not ipod) i have a curtis mp3player and i'm clueless as to how to download songs from LIMEWIRE to my mp3 player... HELP!!! please ;) i need help step by step.....u can also e-mail me at Dagirlballa19@yahoo.com thanks

Bronze Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 16
Hi Shay,
Simple way:
After Limewire downloads into your computer the songs you have requested, it does so in a special folder that you have assigned for all downloads.
To transfer songs from this folder to your mp3 player,

Open your Limewire download folder and your
mp3 player's root folder on your desktop.

With your Mouse pointer, left click and drag and drop your selected songs into the window of your removable drive (mp3 player)

best regards

Bronze Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 17
Dinu,
Format your MP1000 in FAT32 and do it again

Regards

Bronze Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 18
Jessica,
pls follow the recovery mode instructions in the following thread

regards

Bronze Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 19
nanook,
If an mp3 turns on when plugged into it's USB port
but fails to turn on when on battery power

The unit is defective.

Regards

Bronze Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 20
Dent42,
The only two HBC Equinox units Curtis manufactured were the mp1000 1gb and mp261 256mb units.

Sorry I can't help out any more than this...

andrea e
Unregistered guest
help Alex be there!
i am a mac user and have erased in the disk utility application ten times and my curtis mp3 mp510 still says "incorrect format! reformat player" when i try to turn it on.
what else can i do? ( i am programming it for my mom who is leaving on vacation in the morning is there any hope?)
thx,
A

FreaX
Unregistered guest
Hi,

I've a problem:
My MP3-Player is dead and I try to recover the firmware.
When the Recovery Drivers are instelled the SigmaTel Firmware tool, searches shows a progress bar, and then it searches and seraches, and searches....
Always displaying: "searching for devices connected to the system"

What can I do?
Is there a solution for this problem?

Bronze Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 21
andrea,
you must refresh the firmare with the upoader on a windows machine to recover this unit.
There is no other way at the moment.

I will ask the factory to rewrite the mscn utility as an executable on mac systems

Bronze Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 22
FreaX
follow the instructions in the recovery mode section in this link

Bronze Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 23
To all,

In answer to the question " Why can't I playback by Artist or Folder on my Curtis MP3 Player"

There will be a new firmware revision, for models MP510 and MP1000.
Lead Time: apx 5-6 weeks

The new firmware will allow the end user to playback music by ID Tag (Artist or Album) or by Folder as well as Alphabetically.

Best Regards

Unregistered guest
I have a 1 G mp3 player from Hong Kong which worked well until some stray "hidden" file got transferred to it. In order to remove the file, which I couldn't access, I reformatted the disc, but the only option was to format it to 244 MG, less than 1/4 of the capacity. Norton System shows it still has the 1 G memory but I can't access it. How can I reformat it to regain the full 1G? Help!! and thanks

FreaX
Unregistered guest
@alex vouitsis:
I followed this instructions, but the problem is that after step 5 (I started the SigmaTel Tool, but I doesn't see the Player. It searches and searches, and searches....
I tried 3 different PCs: allways the same problem.

Unregistered guest
For those of you who have recieved the 512mb Mp3 player from hsbc and its messed up - follow these steps....

1. download and install mp3 utility here

http://www.s1mp3.org/en/downloads_tools.php#updater

2. download the file named stu015b_hello_.7z from here:

http://www.s1mp3.org/en/downloads_fw.php

3. Use the mp3 update tool to load the new firmware, making sure the hold switch is off. the mp3 will restart.

USE THIS ONLY AS A LAST RESORT.....I did and it worked with this mp3 from hsbc http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/PA_1_4_24P/content/uk/images/current_accounts/en/student _mp3_player.jpg

dont hold me accountable

Username: Thegrinch

hi alex vouitsis i have a problem with a mp1000e the player will not come on with a many brand of battery if im lucky one duracell brand its ok or not
if im plugging the player to the usb no problem thats ok
the player was given to me for the cristmas and my taunt loose the receipt for the player
you can help me?
please help me

Unregistered guest
thanks Superbob, it seems to be working now!

Bronze Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 24
Hello Some Girl,

Hello,

Reformat your 1 gig player in fat32 and you will get the extra memory space that you cannot access now.
To do this,
First save your mp3 files to your pc, then

1-Right click on the removable drive icon that is your mp3 player in your 'My Computer folder'

2-Go down to Format and left click on it

3- For 'File system' select FAT32

4- Click Start....once complete close the window

Best Regards,
Alex

Bronze Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 25
Hello Michael L

Michael,
Will be glad to help u
Your unit may be defective.
I have PM'ed you with instructions for your exchange

Best Regards,
Alex

Bronze Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 26
FreaX,
Can't PM you for some reason but
Will be glad to help you,

Pls contact me at alex@curtisint.com and we'll take it from there

Regards

Bronze Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 27
Andrea E,
and to all MAC users using Curtis MP3 Players,
Curtis is currently writing a MAC version of our download utility in order that MAC users become self reliant when they need to refresh their firmware.
Lead Time -- 4-5 weeks

Best Regards
Alex

Username: Bisho73

Egypt, Cairo Egypt

i have a sony MP3 player 256Mb and when formated ...saty 119 mb :-(

Username: Bisho73

Egypt, Cairo Egypt

i want file update to retern my mp3 to 256 mb plz

Anonymous

im having the same problem as a few other people, after formating my mp3, the memory is lost,it goes from 1gb to 119mb, someone said to foramt again in FAT32, but it still doesnt work, can anyone help?

Unregistered guest
Alright, I see some other people had the same problem, but didn't see a resolution that worked for me:
Curtis mp3 player "mp 510": The music plays but I can barely hear the singing. The headphones (various ones tried) are pushed in all the way in. If I hold the headphone very hard against the jack it sounds normal for awhile, but I can't just keep holding it there. Any advice?

p.s it took me forever to figure out that reformat problem which I also had, but which I fixed for the time being. Never again will I purchase another Curtis product.

Unregistered guest
Wow, this thing is an impossible piece of rubbish... I can see why HSBC bought these 128 MB units- they are cheaper than the normal easier-to-use MP3 players, and since they're giving them away, they don't give a fig if the person that gets it has a problem with it. They just buy the cheapest available prize for that prize level, and not research its functionality. Before the prize in this level was a Sony Walkman casette player. (when I was in high school in the late 80's)

Anyways, I took up the challenge of fixing this crazy thing...

First was to find the true model ID of it. None was on the thing anywhere. What got me here was navigating the player's menu to the "About" info which told me the firmware version 2.521- my only lead. It got me a result indicating that it uses the SigmaTel MSCN Audio Player Driver, and there's several devices. I downloaded one driver from MyDisgo.com, installed it, and got it to mount without rebooting by manually pointing it to the driver files. Slow data transfer, probably due to the DRM file. So I wiped the songs out, reformatted it using low level formatting.

No problems getting the songs to play, no skipping. It works.

mast3r
Unregistered guest
aliyah22, you fixed it? how did u do it? can u plz tell me?

Bronze Member

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 28
No problem Aliyah22,
Your headphone jack is defective.
Send us your unit for straight xchange.

Regards,
Alex

A_train4591
Unregistered guest
Hi, I'm new here and just want to know why my Curtis 256 MB MP3 player won't sync songs. It says ready to sync in Windows but always comes up with an Error saying The server threw an exception. Please Help.

scrto
Unregistered guest
Have Killed player 128 mb chip Sigmatel are defined by system as STMP3500 (cost(stand)s STMP3502).
After lace trim by good people (the native utility), player ceased to work,
is not included, is not defined,

Windows player only in Recovery mode whereupon installs the driver of the mode of the reconstruction, and in system device appears as withdrawable device (0 mb).

The Problem:Utility for lace trim does not see itself player, and can its search for ad infinitum though just during start the program braids comes up for system.

excuse me for bad english
I do not from English speaking country
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us