Headphone Recommendation?

Roger M
Unregistered guest
I'm a network admin who works in a room with about a dozen servers all containing fans, fans, and even more fans. There's always a hum in here that really drives you nuts after awhile. I'm looking for good sounding headphone and will drown out all this noise. I've never been able to keep in the type that go into a ears well so I'd prefer regular ones.

Comfort is important since I'd be wearing them all day. Sound is very important for the same reason. And of course the more of this noise they silence would be wonderful without me having to crank them up.

Cost... Not looking to spend 500, but also want something that's gonna do the job. I looked at the Bose ones and saw some very bad sound reviews on them so I thought I'd post it here.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2258
Aside from some chunkiness, the Sennheiser HD280PRO's would be a good choice. They are very comfortable and have a good sound. The best part is the sound isolation: I believe they silence external sound by 30dB.

Bronze Member
Username: Caldera

Post Number: 13
I suggest you check the Koss closed headphones, the best of these being the Pro 4 aa or whatever the designation is now.
I bought a highly rated Sennheiser open headphone and was extremely disappointed. I have been using many variations of the Koss titanium open headphones for about 7 years, and have been extremely satisfied with all of them. The bass is especially remarkable. I have not, however, tried the newer Pro 4s.
Plus, they have a lifetime warranty, minus a $6 replacement charge.

Username: Jaw891

Post Number: 3
I recommend two brands (in general) to people who are looking for good quality headphones and they are Koss and Sony. They are my 2 personal favorites and I picked a good candidate for your situation from each company. From Koss, I recommend the QZ Pro (http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^nc^QZPRO) which seem to have everything you are looking for; noise reduction and good quality headphones for a good price ($60). Sony offers 2 good headphone options, one is a little over-priced ($199), but if you have the money, I would go for that. The one that I know of and have had a pair of myself, is the MDR-NC6 (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_Display ProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=MDRNC6&Dept=audio&CategoryName=pa_headphones _noisecancel_overhead) which will work great. I have used them in a cafeteria where about 250 people were all talking at once, and i could only hear the music (I am 100% serious) taking into consideration I had the volume at 85%. The great thing about them is they are good headphones with and without the noise-cancelation on so they can be used in almost any situation. For about $50, they are a great deal.

Username: Abhishek_k

Post Number: 8
hii..
i am planning to buy the SONY MDR-V700DJ headphones for use at home..is it the right choice?
i would also like to know if these headphones would work right with ipods and cellphones( the nokia N91 music edition).
thanx..

Bronze Member
Username: Your_mom890

Post Number: 24
Well typically, most headphones have a 3.5mm jack, so there's a good chance it will not work for your cellphone. And secondly, there are way better choices than the MDRV700DJ by Sony. They have a really muddy bass response and are uncomfortable. These are some better ones you should consider:

Sony MDR7506
Grado SR80
Sennheiser HD280-Pro

And if you ever find the HD555 by Sennheiser at a price you want, I almost guarantee you will be blown away.

But, also know spending more than about $150 on any pair of headphones for iPods is useless since iPods don't output what the headphones can handle. Neither can encoded MP3s. As a matter of fact, most 128kbps MP3s don't output anything after 16KHz, when most music goes as far as 20KHz. Not saying plugging any of those four headphones into an iPod won't give you great sound quality, just know you'll be much more blown away with CDs. Don't know if you knew that yet...

Username: Abhishek_k

Post Number: 9
please suggest any one good pair of headphones that can be used with cd players, ipods etc.. price range around 150$..preferred brands would be sennheiser or sony.
ofcourse.. along with good sound quality they should also be stylish and good looking so that i can carry it in public!
thanx..

Username: Jaw891

Post Number: 5
ok, if you're looking for ear buds or in-ear, then for sony i recommend the MDR-EX90LP which are about $100 and have a good frequency response (5-25k) with a good punchy bass and clear treble, or if you would like noise reducing ones there are the MDR-NC11A's which have less of a frequency response (10-22k) but have the noise reduction so the sound is alot clearer (they are the same price as the MDR-EX90LP's). I am really an in-ear fan myself, so if that isn't what you are looking for, i wouldnt rely on this recommendation

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Yes, in ear models are decent as well. The EX90LPs are a fairly good model, and are one of the better Sony canalphones, just stay away from the terribly overrated MDREX51LPs, good bass, but unclear and the cord is poorly made. Those are below your price focus anyhow.

The problem with canalphones is that the models $100+ focus on detail, and have little bass. They are terrible with iPods because of this. Not only does the iPod not bring out what the headphones can deliever, but bass will be very weak.

To be honest, if you want canalphones, you'll be more satisfied with something in the upper $80-100, like the Voda in-ear buds, or the MDRNC11 by Sony, which all have good detail but strong bass. Also stay away from anything with the Bose name, almost all earbuds by them are poorly rated.

Though, like my earlier post, those four over-the-head headphones will give you way better sound from an iPod than most in-ears at the same price range; again this is because the in-ear models are designed towards those who are using them for strong audio outputs.

Personally I don't use in-ear models since the canal part bothers me. I actually just carry around a $10-$20 Sony or JVC earbud with my iPod and sound fine, but I'm not picky at all with my portable audio.

And if you still feel lost, READ REVIEWS!!! Go to Epinions or Amazon and see what others think on certain models. You might find a model you're interested in flat out sucks, or the opposite.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
*Vmoda

And if you do get somethnig from them, get the Bass Freq ones.

Silver Member
Username: Gavdawg

Post Number: 337
I myself use the Bose Quietcomfort 2's, and think the sound quality is great. They don't compare to my Magnepan MMG speakers, but the sound is the best I've heard in a noise cancellation design so far, including the QC3.

They are also the most comfortable phones I have used.

Username: Gregoryt

White Plains, New York United States

Post Number: 4
Kotnala,
Grado SR-80`s, great overall sound, good bass, very good price, proven, tried and true. Or, step up to the Sennheiser HD280 pro. More comfort, slightly better highs, more mid`s. Spending more, I would recommend a Headroom amplifier.

Username: Angelayu

Shenzhen, Guangdong China

Post Number: 1
Wow, my budget is below 50USD, anyone have any suggestions? I don't need big names, I just want a little sweet headphone with good bass function. That's enough. Thanks a lot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us