How can I wire headphones to a speaker system?

Username: Meridius

Post Number: 1
I have a Honda Goldwing with a good CD/am/fm stereo system in it, but I would like to wire the system to a set of headphones or a female headphone jack.

I have a helmet with headphones built in and the jack, etc...but the stereo does not have a headphone plug.

I can get to the speakers and wires easily, but cannot find a product that will wire up and leave me with a useable plug.

Isn't there anything out there that wires up to a set of speaker wires from a stereo...so that it would be possible to pluc in a set of headphones?

If there is, it is evading me.

(I am talking about the normal everyday headphone link. The small one...not the one from Dad's old system)

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2181

quote:

I can get to the speakers and wires easily, but cannot find a product that will wire up and leave me with a useable plug.

Most loudspeaker outputs put out a great deal more amount of power than headphones can handle. Headphones typically can't handle more than 500mW without frying. The stereo in your motorcycle probably puts out at least 7w of sound per channel.

Username: Meridius

Post Number: 2
I had forgotten about this message. I went to Radio Shack and bought a simple female connector and wired it to the speaker system.

It works fine. I plug the headphones in my helmet into the connector and no problem.

The Radio Shack employee said the same thing, that it would blow the headphones....but I've been using them for weeks now with no problems at all.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2224
Must be a low wattage stereo.

Bronze Member
Username: Caldera

Post Number: 12
Back in the antedeluvian days, the only way to hook up a set of headphones was through an adapter that was wired to the speaker outs. This was the 60s, and that's how I hooked up my Koss Pro 4s. I read that the MacIntosh preamp from this period used a similar technique, taking the feed from the power amp to supply the headphone jack. Of course, there was circuitry to cut down the power of the signal.
Somewhere, somebody must know how to do this.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us