Getting Started

I want to do documentary work for non-profits. Although my work will be donated rather than sold, I still want it to look professional. To that end, I am presently treading water as to what kind of digital camcorder, computer system and editing software to purchase.

I am the polar opposite of a techie, and so ease of use, both of the software, hardware and camcorder is a major priority. It is for that reason that I have given Apple a look, but the price premium sticks in my throat. If I new that iMovie3 and their DVD software was as good and easy to use as they claim, I would gladly pony up the money.

On the PC platform I have been very impressed with the comments I have seen about Vegas 4, but although many people have told me that a newbie can handle it, I'm not yet covinced. It could be that I should be going with ScreenBlast Movie Studio.

I would appreciate feedback from anyone has any experience with either of these software packages.

Concerning the computer itself, I know that I should be looking at the fastest processor I can afford, and the same is true for the Ram and the hard disk.

How fast of a processor, how much Ram and how big a hard disk do I need to do credible work?
I have heard that it is preferable to have a second hard disk, but is it abosutely necessary? Can I get away with one HD if it is big enough?

And wht do I need in terms of optical drives if I want to burn both CD's and DVD's? Would I be better off with an external drive like the Sony DRX510-UL? Also how important is the video card?

As far as camcorders go, I'm probably going to go with the Sony TRV-900 (950) or the VX-2000 depending on the money situation.

I'm also looking at the Sony DCR-IP1, even though it's not in the same class, specifically because its size would allow me to do work without drawing attention to myself. I thought that it might be a rather a painless way to break in. If anyone has any info on the DCR-IP1, I would appreciate hearing from you.

I know that this is a mouthful, but if I don't ask I'm never going to learn.

Any and all help will be appreciated and then some.

Bill Mark
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us