Sony Cameras and Asus A7N8X Deluxe mother boards

Lrob
I'm using the A7N8X-Deluxe but have problems exporting my film from HDD to camera Sony VX1000 (DV in activated)through firewire. The image exports fine using WinDV program but the sounds fades in and out continouesly on the camera. Have tried exporting through Premiere 6 and WMM2, but then, image & sound fade in and out too.
Any suggestions on how to resolve this annoying problem? The sound is 48000Hz, 16-bit from its origin to end.
Thanks for all inputs.

Derek
You can use Windows Movie Maker II or Premiere. When you export it, you must set the software to "Export in Native DV" since that's the only format the camera can write. I've done with a Canon DV camera and I have the same motherboard.

Also try upgrading your motherboard drivers. Nvidia just updated the nforce drivers to 3.31 a couple of days ago.

Hope this helps.

Lrob
Thanks for your message. I've looked into all Premiere 6.0 menus and cannot find "Export in Native DV". My capture under Premiere is "DV/IEE1394 capture" and project/export properties closest compression match is Microsoft DV AVI which is what I've always used with success when editing with PinnaclesDV300 under W2K.
I'm currently downloading the nvidia driver update (3.13 released yesterday), will check your suggestion and keep you updated tomorrow.
Once again thanks.

Lrob
So... following your kind advice, I installed the new Nvidia driver but the problem still persists. Trying other ways to export on MiniDV, I've:
1- changed the Hdd on which the film was and copied it to the same as the programs : no change
2- recompressed the film : no change on export
3- Tried WinDV: picture Ok, sound fades in/out
4- Tried Premiere 6.0 and WMM2 : picture and sound fade in and out.

As I said, compression is identitical from source to end product. These settings used to work under Premiere 5 and my old 400Mhz motherboard, but since I've changed to Premiere 6 with the A7N8X, AMD 2600+Mhz, 1Go RAM, exporting doesn't work properly.
I've read (in French) on http://www.repaire.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36451&perpage=30&pagenumber=1 that an "asus_1394_filter" existed and solutionned the problem of people unable to export images to their Sony cameras. Have you heard of it? I've posted a message on the forum but still wait for an answer. I've also looked on the Asus website but haven't found anything yet.

Thanks for any other suggestions I might try to resolve this sound problem?

Derek
WOW! I haven't tried a Sony camera but here is what I would do before I threw in the towel.

1. Try someone elses' camera.

2. You mention "recompression". DV is compressed on aquisition. How did you import the video? Don't convert the video on import. Bring it straight in as DV. That should be about 16GB per hour of footage. I have imported it with MMII to get my scene changes, I do my editing, transitions and titles and and shoot it out to another tape. THEN I compress the final footage to WMV using Microsoft Media Encoder 9 (about 3 hours per hour). ME9 produces VERY clean results and the files are about 300 MB per hour. My point is, don't compress on import. Do everything in native DV. I have done this in Pinnacle 8, Ulead and MMII with no picture quality problems.

3. Make sure you have the latest drivers and bios. I have:
3Com NIC 5.4xp
AllinOne 2.41
Bios 1007
Serial ATA 1.0.0.22xp
Microsoft USB 2.0xp
AsusLiveUpdate 5.20.01
Forceware 3.13

4. Microsoft has MPEG4, MP3 and ME9 codecs seperate from Media Player 9. Pull those down as well.

5. Does the picture blink on the computer? When you import and export your video, you should be able to see it on the cameras' viewfinder. Does it blink during either of these processes? Are you watching the final footage through a VCR?

Hope this helps. Let me know.

Lrob
Well well well... I've upgraded all components as you suggested and now have the same drivers and bios versions as you, but everything remains the same: the sound fades in/ out when exporting the film to the camera. It's driving me mad... (I changed everything -CPU, motherboard, system etc...- on my PC for better rendering as I had continueous problems with Pinnacles DV300 updates and I now cannot render any correct final product. Aaaah!
When mentionning "recompression", I meant recompiling the film. I, of course, stay in native DV all along the course of my work!!
As for the image blinking problem during capture or export; it doesn't appear whether it be on the PC screen or camera viewfinder.

I've sent a message to Asus but doubt they'll ever answer. I've checked other forums and haven't found an answer to my problem except someone mentionned he installed a new PCI DV card and everything worked fine. That is probably what I'll try next if no other suggestion comes along. Thanks for your time.

Derek
I think you have a problem with the Sony camera, not the board. I've never seen this before over DV. I have seen this when using VI/VO of some video cards. Let's be clear.

You are bringing the video into your computer via firewire - you do not press any buttons on the camera? The computer should control the camera's tape transport.

The video and audio are fine on the camera when you are shooting it back out to the camera via firewire. You manually rewind the tape, press play and THAT'S when you have a problem with audio?

Are both of these true?

Lrob
To answer your assumtions:

Acquisition is no problem.
The computer (Premiere, WinDV, WMM2) can control de VX1000 or I can press play on the camera and record on the PC, either way works fine. The images and sound are cleanly stored onto IDE or SCSI HDD without any difficulties.

On the other hand, exporting is the problem.
To be perfectly clear (and excuse me if there was any misunderstanding before): the soundbite coming out from the computer fades in/out consistently while being recorded onto the VX1000 tape via firewire.
This is verified when looking at the film through the viewfinder with headphones while recording the film from the computer or playing the recorded film on the camera. The recorded soundtrack on the videotape is identical as the outgoing signal of the computer: it fades in/out.

I hope this clears your understanding of this buging problem. I've gone through all "dvdoctor.net" discussion panel and cannot find a solution eventhough many had problems with VX1000. Wrote a note on the panel and I am hopefully waiting for an answer. If nothing tonight, I'll try sticking in a new IEEE1394 card on mobo.

Lrob
After days of hair pulling, I finally resolved this annoying problem...
First, I changed firewire card to new PCI/IEEE1394 card, then copied my .avi file to same HDD than Premiere and the film exported fine and without any loss.
It seems however strange that Premiere or Windows XP which are physically on a IDE HDD cannot export correctly via IEEE1394 a film located on a SCSI HDD. Tell me if you ever met that -or a similar- problem?
Once again thanx for your time.

Anonymous

I am also having trouble with a Sony camcorder and an A7N8X firewire port - PC fails to see camera most of the time, when it does see the camera, importing video drops more frames than it captures. Result is similar to Lrob's export: video/audio come and go, sometimes just skipping a few seconds entirely. Have latest BIOS & drivers from Asus. Using DVIO for capture (until Sony audio bugs are worked out of Dr. DivX). Same configuration works fine on older system with PCI firewire card.

Jeremy van Doorn
Unregistered guest
I'm having similar problems with a 17n8x firewire port and a sony dcr-pc120e. The movies is not transfered to the tape correctly and sound is terrible. I've updated bios, treid every possible driver and nothing helps, finally I used another pci-firewire card and all problems were resolved straight away. I strongly believe the problem to lie somewhere in the mainboard (Asus A7n8X Deluxe rev.2)!
If anyone has a solution to get this to work with the onboard Firewire port, I would love to hear it!

Unregistered guest
Hi

I'm having a similar problem. My hardware: a7n8x deluxe on Sony 120bt. Importing is crystal clear and perfect, however exporting to tape is not.

Symptoms: Grey screen with 5 little boxes on the screen that flash like a strobe light, but through the little boxes you can see the real video that's playing. It's like a window, and you can see the video outside, except you can only see it through the window and the wall is a gray screen.

Attempted solutions:
Tried different cable. no difference
Tried different camera. no difference
Tried different premiere. no difference

Must be hardware / Sony camera! Any solutions out there yet?

Going to try latest bios... crossing fingers.

keep posting, thanks!

Anonymous

http://www.asus.it/support/faq/answer.aspx?KB_ID=84906

here is it!

Unregistered guest
URL ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/TREIBER/CHIPSATZ/NVIDIA/1394_filter.zip

Sorry, this is the right one.

Greetz from Germany,

Julian

Username: Bigwill

Post Number: 1
I HAVE THE SOLUTION!!!!! AMD motherboards have a history of being unreliable when it comes to firewire and DV import and export. The best option, copy the file to DVD and export to camera using a Pentium 4 or higher (ie. Xeon)

Rayi23
Unregistered guest
I do not understand how to install this filter.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us