Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through July 22, 2005sbgjones100
Archive through November 15, 2004manwhoseestmrw100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Bronze Member
Username: Chicomangh

Post Number: 14
sbgjjones:

check the project settings in the upper right hand corner there is a wrench... click on that wrench... in the setting for project check down by the "movie capture settings" where it asks use mpeg 1 just below that is a check box that says "monitor capture mode" ensure that it is checked... it may be unchecked by default to speed up your computers performance...

let me know if this helps..

cheers

Unregistered guest
Thanks Chico
I appreciate all the help

Mike

sbgjones
Unregistered guest
Chico,
The box was already checked so I tried both ways just to see if any thing worked and its still the same. I will say that on the ImageMixer, the screen is blue to start but when I hit the play button it turns black. What next?? I am opened for suggestions.

Anonymous

Hello,

I have a panasonic pv-gs120 and am having problems transferring the videos to my PC. I am running Windows XP Media Edition (on a laptop).

I don't think the computer is seeing the video camera as being connected. Using Media Center, I can select "recorded TV" and get my video, no sound-- but can not save it.

I am not sure where to go from here or how to even start and I am looking for advice....

Thanks,
brenda

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
sbgjones:

blue screen when you start the capture mode is a good thing... ensure that the setting for capture using dvc cam is right. for mine it must be "off" also ensure that you are using 1394 capture page... on left you see it should be below usb tab ensure that 1394 is selected... mine is blue untill i start palyback on camera.. there is a bit a lag in this software so wait a minute for it to kick in... also ensure that the camera is set up to use the proper transfer method and that it is not using usb when software wants 1394... also try another firewire cable if you can... also ensure you have adequate codecs installed and that the capture type is properly selected there will be choices for mpeg avi etc.. if you have adequate codecs installed...

let me know how this works... if it does not please inform me of your system and any other picture/video/audio applications you may have installed on your pc... there may be a conflict

you may need to remove "pixela image mixer" and all it's subfolders and reinstall it... if you do this install it without the camera connected...

when you connect the camera to winxp does it recognize it? and offer you the options shortly after?

sbgjones
Unregistered guest
Thanks Chico,
I think my next step is to see if it will capture or just play on someone elses computer. How do I check to see if the proper transfer method is set up on the camera? The camera does not have a USB port, does that mean that it cannot be hooked up to USB?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
if there is no usb port there is no usb available

try someone elses computer is good thing... let us know if that works

cheers

sbgjones
Unregistered guest
Can you tell me where I might find the CODEC's for my situation?? I don't know what they are but it sounds like I might need one.
Sbgjones

Username: Sarfraz

Wah cantt, Punjab Pakistan

Post Number: 1
HI THERE! i am a graphics designer for print and web media. I have got Sony Mini Dv camcorder DCR-TRV33E.I have made some videos and wana capture them on my Laptop(having Firewire port).I have already captured the videos as MPEG through USB and Pixelia Software provided by Sony but they are not as good as broadcast quality..Can u tell me that , is there any benefit of capturing Dv video through Firewire port.Would i be able to get improved quality video than that of captured through USB port.i am supposed to work in Discreet Combustion 4 , which has a Dv capture engine.
My purpose of asking all this is that , i want to have Broadcast quality video to be captured from Camera and being edited and burned.Can u suggest me.

Username: Sarfraz

Wah cantt, Punjab Pakistan

Post Number: 2
HI THERE! i am a graphics designer for print and web media. I have got Sony Mini Dv camcorder DCR-TRV33E.I have made some videos and wana capture them on my Laptop(having Firewire port).I have already captured the videos as MPEG through USB and Pixelia Software provided by Sony but they are not as good as broadcast quality..Can u tell me that , is there any benefit of capturing Dv video through Firewire port.Would i be able to get improved quality video than that of captured through USB port.i am supposed to work in Discreet Combustion 4 , which has a Dv capture engine.
My purpose of asking all this is that , i want to have Broadcast quality video to be captured from Camera and being edited and burned.Can u suggest me.

One seekinganswers
Unregistered guest
Hi guys I have 2 questions I spotted someone else had the same problem as me(black screen) never saw an answer.

Question 1.
Hey guys anyone know if you loose quality with a program like DVDSanta? I.e. it demands more processing power than most proggies at least 2GHZ but says it does the conversion part on the fly(raw avi to mpeg for dvd I imagine?) Is a one step minidv->DVD(not sure what DVD santa does) process cost anything in quality(dropped frames etc etc) vs. minidvd->dump HD in raw avi->convert to mpeg->Burn to dvd?

Anywho I am also having a problem with the demo.

I followed their FAQ located at http://www.dvdsanta.com/howtoburndv.htm

Hardware Setup:
3.4GHZ P4 Northwood
1GB RAM 400MHZ DDR
40GB Free Space on 7200RPM drive
Sony Trv22
Firewire conection being used

Software:
Windows XP Professional
Latest Download of Dvdsanta Demo
Cyberlink PowerDVD 5 and 6

Play, Rewind Stop etc all work fine and the same video/audio that is on the camcorder displays on screen. I press play and capture after rewinding and a short while later I have two folders created, Audio TS and a Video Ts with the vob file being 118MB (VTS_01_1.VOB) for a ~63 minute minidv tape. The audio TS folder is empty. When any of the video files is opened in PowerDVD the screen is completely black and there is no audio. The file will play and is the same lenth of black/no audio as the orginal tape. I tried playing the video on 2 others PCs with the same black screen results.

Question 2
Any idea as to what is causing this problem?

Username: Manoj56

Post Number: 3
I am looking for some help with my Panasonic PV-GS250. I have two software programs for editing the video that I have shot on the camera (Ulead Videostudio7 and MotionDV). I am not sure which is the bset one to use. I have used VS7 before with a Panasonic camcorder and on the capture menu I set the Format to AVI and it worked no problem. When I try to do this with the 250 it does not stay in the AVI format and it reverts back to DV. When I try to download the video it is very choppy. Can anyone help me with this? I would like to use VS7 as I am familar with it but if there is someone that can walk me through MotionDV I will use that.

Thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
syed:

Broadcast quality is not really possible with your model of camera... you will need a 3 CCD camera such as Canon XL2

cheers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
DV = AVI

Username: Manoj56

Post Number: 4
chicochicano - Thanks for the response. However when I try to record off the tape in this mode the preview is choppy and then after I burn the downloaded video it is also choppy (by choppy I mean stop and go). I borrowed my friends PVGS 400 and did not have this problem. Is there a setting on the camera that I need to change while recording to prevent this? If not then is there something that I can change on the VS7 settings to prevent this?

One seekinganswers
Unregistered guest
Hello anyone?

Username: Tony_at_lazar

Watford, Hertfordshire UK

Hi,I was another sucker who bought a ip55 micro mv format twatcam. Trying to produce avi/mpegs but the audio is unaudible, any ideas? I'm creating this with movieshaker (another poor program).
Also Is there a way of capturing data directly to a powerbook

Username: Sampavar

Hi guys,
Have a similar problem like one posted in this list, one that wasn't answered. Just want to know whether WMV file, which was what the WIndows Moviemaker converts my tape when transferring to my pc, can be played on DVD player. I have a Philips 642 DVD player which supports MPEG4 playback.
Or is it that I have to convert my WMV file to MPEG. Also I know free software is available for conversion, but does Ulead do the trick or is there any setting by which I can do the same with Moviemaker.
Thanks in advance

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
tony:
power book should have a firewire input that will be fine for your video needs also... use i movie as opposed to anything else for mac

sriram:
WMV will not play on dvd... movie maker needs to be upgraded to pro version before it will utilize mpeg codec...

cheers

One seekinganswers
Unregistered guest
Ok I guess the silence is that no one has used Ddvd Santa or has any information on the problem?

Well anywho trying my luck with Pinnacle 9. With it there is no problem importing video either to raw avi or to mpeg2. Since I am not looking to edit I was thinking mpeg2, however I can't get it to add the mpeg file on the make disc(DVD) screen. The mpeg2 file is playable on that same screen in the preview player etc but says no files have been added etc.

Wow is there any decent programs out there? Should i give Ulead 7 a whirl? Maybe I should rip to raw then encode that to DVD format via VsodivxtoDVD? I tried a mpeg2 to dvd with Dvdsanta and it stuck some stupid small box in the upper right hand corner of the video so guess its out.

So far here is the parts that I have working.
Rip to raw avi= Pinnacle 9 does fine.
Rip to mpeg2=Pinnacle 9 does fine.
Covert from raw or mpeg2 to VOB(DVD)=???????
Burn DVD files= plenty of proggies work for this.

Also I was thinking that maybe DV->Mpeg2(quality loss right-> when encode to VOB-> Then burn sounds like a worse move that
Rip to raw AVi->Encode to VOBs->burn

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
one seeking:

you are on right tracks but i suggest that you try "Adobe Elemements" software... as for burning and converting to dvd i also recommend "tmpgenc" and "tmpgenc dvd author" these programs are the best i have found they all cost some money but they will all work with eachother... check my post above for details on this... i find pinnacle sofware is a bit picky to use and can be non user friendly if you don't know exaclty what to do...

cheers

let me know how this works out

One seekinganswers
Unregistered guest
-chicochicano
I reread all your posts. I will check out Adobe premier and Elements.

If I am not doing any editing does it matter which capture program I use if in the end I end up with the big raw avi file?

I noticed you mention VSOdivdvd. Would it be wise to skip Tmpgenc and convert raw avi to DVD using it? I.e no mpeg in between? Or would it be best to capture to mpeg2(you mention both) then use tmpgenc to covert mpeg2 to VOb?

Basically I am looking for a way of getting as high quality copy of what is on my miniDV tapes onto DVD.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
one:
if you are not editing it should not matter what prog you use but if it does not produce proper "gop" structures it will not be good for dvd...

if you use "vso divx-dvd" you will still need to use "tmpg dvd authour" or "nero" to burn the chapters and files created...

VSO will only convert divx to dvd... Raw AVI will need to be encoded to divx to use vso... vso is best when file is in divx format

bottom line is you cannot burn video to dvd without it being mpeg...

it is your choice how to aquire dvd mpegs

cheers

Unregistered guest
Someone posted awhile ago. Does any know where he could find a mini DV tape player for capturing? I wondered the samething. The cheapest player is a JVC about $850 to $1000. What I did is I bought a canon ZR70 video camera for about $300 and use it to capture plus I use it to record my back up audio with my wireless mic. You can't find a player for $300 anywhere plus I got a service contract which covers cleaning and head replacements. Saves my XL2 heads

Unregistered guest
One seeking

Make sure you have the latest patch for pinnacle studio 9 ( 9.4.3 ) they help a lot.

Unregistered guest
One seeking

Pinnacle 9 will not work with SP2 or musicmatch installed on your computer I had the same problem with the make dvd screen. You can uninstall them in add & remove programs if you wanted too.

Unregistered guest
Im new to this sort of thing. I have a Sony DCR-PC55E with a P4 3.0ghz with 1Gb ram with Firewire. I also have Premier Pro. Whats the easist way for me to get the movie off the camera and onto the machine for editing?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Bally:

start premiere pro... go to file... choose capture... when capture screen pops up trun on your camera... that is it... start recording... it's that straight forward.. decide how your folder structure will be and go.... :-)

cheers

Anonymous

I know one good software for you. By the way I understand too well about your problem. the movie shaker is jusk ....anyway the name of product is Pinnacle studio. It's very easy to use and you will have some fun with making movies too. Get it!!! Good luck!

-Angela

Anonymous

I know one good software for you. By the way I understand too well about your problem. the movie shaker is jusk ....anyway the name of product is Pinnacle studio. It's very easy to use and you will have some fun with making movies too. Get it!!! Good luck!

-Angela

Anonymous

HI all,

Is there a drive that you can install in your computer that will read minidv tapes? does such a thing exist? if yes where can I find it and find more info on it?

Right now i'm using Firewire to connect to my canon ZR100 but i'm finding it to be way too slow for my liking.... I would rather put my full minidv tape directly into my computer and copy the contents to disk.
I'm wondering if those DAT/DDS tape drives will read minidv's and if there is any software that will work with that.... because if that works, then i'm sure the data transfer rate will be much faster using SCSI as oppose to firewire.

any ideas??

don't hesitate to email me for questions or comments: bigmikey23@hotmail.com

thanks

bally
Unregistered guest
Thanks very much Chico!...

It worked a treat!!!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3631
anonymous,
There is a mini DV player out in the market but it is not cheap. JVC makes one.

Unregistered guest
Anonymous
Mini DV is captured at a 1-1 ratio. If you have 1 hour of video it will take 1 hour to capture. I have not seen a player that installs in the computer. The only way to get the data into your computer faster is to capture your video directly to a hard drive (very expensive) instead of the mini DV tape. http://dvcreators.net/products/fs4.html

Unregistered guest
Berny
Check my post about ten up. On mini DV players. $300.00 is alot to most people (me to) but to replace a set of tape heads in some cameras will cost 3 or 4 times that much.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3654
Thanks supermeatball. I already have a JVC mini DV player. I hardly use it nowadays. I'm a still photograph kinda person.

Username: Ballymc

ChicoChicano,

Will Premier Pro caputure all the video or will it segement it? I tried WinDV, but it seems to capture video in 'chunks'.

Thanks.

Monika
Unregistered guest
I am confused!

Can someone tell me, if there is any chance to get a quality movie form sony dcr-trv 22e after convertering to the pc

Monika

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
anonymous: >>> why use scsi? that would be pointlessly more painstaking since max data transfer is topped out at 160 mb/sec... firwire is 400 mb/sec... why bother with scsi? some mini dv players mentioned above do have computer interface but it is firewire...

Bally Bansal... yes premiere pro will capture all in one clip with no "chunks" those "chunks" may be getting captured in "chunks" due to drops in the timecode of the tape... when you are filming and you hit the pause or standby button on your camera , it creates a drop in the timecode and your software might be seeing that drop in the timecode... premiere will see these drops and will do the same thing if you choose that preference setting according to your project setup... maybe check your software to see if you can find a setting that will state a similar thing such as ---- "use dropcode timecode to capture clips" or "use dropframe timecode to capture clips" or similar kinda thing... if it is good software it should allow you to change that setting... if not... then yes you can use premiere pro to capture all in one clip, as the default setting in premiere pro for "dropframe timcode" is off.....

monika>>>> can you please be more specifac to the question.... to convert to pc would mean that you have already gotten it into the pc... if you are asking if you can put movie from pc back to the camera then answer is yes, but depends on software you are using... more specifac's please...

cheers

hope it helps

Unregistered guest
You have got me wrong...

In earlier posts, was written that if you capture movie from camera to pc, you get very bad quality, i tried and it is true.

Is there any chance to get a good quality?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
monika>>>

you will need to check camera settings and software settings...

tell me what software and what o.s. you are using.. what your computer is?
make sure you are using "i-link" connection
also check software
:D?
cheers

Unregistered guest
hm what is different if i use usb cabel instead of i-link connection

you now what i will write you again when i will buy a new computer, because this computer stinks :-) hehe

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
monika>>> i link is firewire and will result in better quality :D

Chicochicano,

Thanks for that!.. Ill be having a fun filled weekend!.... One further question... Is Premier Pro any good for video Titling or should I use something else?

Bally

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
bally>>>

premiere pro is fine for titles

Unregistered guest
OK, I've read pretty much every reply on this thread, so I guess it's my turn to post my problem and see wot u guys think.

I've got a Canon MV450i mini-dv camcorder. I've never ever been able to get it working with my PC to capture video. The closest I ever came was with a Win98 PC that gave me a multi-coloured snowy screen where I should have been previewing the tape. Naturally I just thought it was because my PC was rubbish and left it for a later date when I did get a better PC.

Since then, I have tried 3 different WinXP PCs, 3 diff Firewire cards, 2 diff Firewire cables, Pinnacle 8, 9, Adobe Prem Pro 1.5, and Windows Moviemaker. Still no joy.

I connect the Camcorder to my PC and flick it to Playback. It gets recognised and the screen asks me wot I want to do, but I always cancel that. If I go into My Computer, I can take the pictures off the Camcorders card, but no video.

In each of the tried software packages, the camcorder will respond to the Play, Stop, FFWD, and REW functions.

When I try to capture, it either just throws up an error box to say "An Error has been encountered", or does nothing. I say does nothing, because when using Pinnacle 9, I can click on the Capture button, the tape will start to play... but where I should be seeing the preview of the capture remains blank. Although it asks me where and wot I want to save the capture as, whenever I hit Stop Capture, there is nothing saved.

Is there something wrong with the Mv450i itself that could be causing it to fail? Any patches available to fix this fault?

I actually found this page when I was looking for a desktop Mini-dv tape player. They do exist for Macs... but I wanted to find one and check its compatibility for PCs.

Hope u can help :-)

Unregistered guest
Chico could better help you but make sure you have the latest patch for studio 9 (9.4.3) . Check which version you have now.If you have 9.3 install the light version if lower install the full.You can check the version you have by opening studio goto help and then about studio.
PS Check you camera setting to see if the dv firewire is set for incoming or outgoing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
meatball you are to kind :P

renegade:

when using premiere pro 1.5 this is what you do 1st!

start premiere pro... when it's loaded and ready go to file and then chose capture... when capture stream is up then... turn on your camera.. in that order ... try this let me know if it works for you...

check meatballs advice and make sure your camera is set for firwire or "ilink" instead of usb stream...

cheers

Unregistered guest
I'm looking for a used mini-DV player. It's important that the player have a viewing screen, which displays date/time/timecode. I'm working on 7 years of video data for my dissertation and I'm worried about ruining the heads in my new Sony DCR-HC1000...well relative new, it's only seen one field season ;-)

Unregistered guest
PS Most of my data were recorded on a JVC mini-DV camcorder...if that makes any difference. My Sony reads all my old tapes just fine and the time code, data and time do appear on the Sony playback screen.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
caryn :

above is a link to a search that results in a dv tape deck kinda thing... it will connect to a computer and other rca/svideo devices. it has firewire so it is perfect to use for transfering archived footage... save your camera's heads... it is pricey but well worth it.. i don't own one but have used one on site... they are awsome... they have a little lcd screen to view it during playback and will display all timecodes... check it out about 1/3 page up..

cheers

Bally
Unregistered guest
Chicochicano, I have another problem now!... after managing to get the camera firewired and getting some video off from camera to PC. Ive tried again and although the PC finds the camera, when I go into Premier Pro it says it cant initialize the device and doesnt capture. Ive also tried WinDV and that comes back with a run time error!.... any ideas?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
bally:

do not turn the camera on before you start premiere... start adobe first then press f5 (capture) when capture srceen pops up then turn on your camera...

try this if works let me know

cheers

Bally
Unregistered guest
Chicochicano!

thanks for the advice, but it did not work either. However, let me explain what I am trying to do to make it clearer and Im sure you will be able to point me in the right direction. I have a DVD (Wedding DVD!) that I want to rip into AVI format so that I can import it into Premier Pro and re-edit and republish. However, I am confused about how to rip the dvd to the right format and resolution to get it into Premier Pro.

Someone told me that you could use a DV device as a go-between between the source and the PC, thats what Ive been trying to do.

Failing that, I have been trying to export the DVD to AVI using ImToo DVD Ripper. If I rip the video at the standard resolution (352 x 288) then when imported into Premier Pro, there is a border in the Monitor window when at 100% (view). If I change the output resolution in ImToo to 720 X 576, then the video is too big when viewed at 100% in Premier Pro. Im also confused about the Codec to use?!..

Please help. I just want to rip this DVD into AVI so that I can pull it into Premier Pro!..

Any help would be much appreciated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
Bally: Premiere Pro will import divx,

You can use DivX encoder (www.divx.com) you get it free for few months before you have to buy... Use DivX Encoder to rip the dvd then import into premiere pro. This works but can function a bit choppy in Premiere. So the easiest way around it would be to open the high quality DivX in Windows Media 9... When it starts playing, click pause, then choose file-save media as-choose the folder.... At the bottom where is asks you to name the file, name it and typethe following : weddingdvd.mpg for mpeg, weddingdvd.avi for avi... when it is finished saving the file it will now be encoded into mpeg of avi (your choice) and can be impoted to Premiere Pro and used with ease.
It is important to know that you should use the highest quality settings for the Divx rip to avoid achives (blockiness)

The reason you have borders around your viewing is because the software you are using does not conform to actual real life standards.. don't worry export the file and list the dimensions you want...

Hope this helps.

Bally
Unregistered guest
Ok brilliant. So Ive downloaded the Divx Converter and started to convert the DVD High Definition Divx. However after Analysing the Disc when it starts to convert it, it fails with a memory error. Ive tried it a number of times with different settings and still no joy!!....

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Bally:

are you sure there is no copy protection on the disc?

C,

Yeah, I believe there is no copy protection. I think its a PC problem.. I was running it through a laptop. Ill try it on a more powerful desktop and let you know.

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have Sony DCR-HC42E and I have a DVD recorder equipped with iLink (Firewire).. How can I record my movies with Time/Date to my DVD's using Firewire interface without going to A/V connection..

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have Sony DCR-HC42E and I have a DVD recorder equipped with iLink (Firewire).. How can I record my movies with Time/Date to my DVD's using Firewire interface without going to A/V connection..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 34
plug them into the "ilink" connection... they should work fine

Username: Amindanial

No sir, the recorded pictures has no date or time displayed on it. Besides, the menu of the recorded DVD has the date of the creation of the DVD not the date of the original movie that transferred from the camcorder.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
well if you have a computer you can use it to make a dvd... why use a recorder? there should be a setting on recorderthat allows a pass on that info from tape

cheers

Unregistered guest
hey guys,
I capture using firewire, Pinnacle studio 9 plus.
I get audio synch problems, words are slightly ahead of the person talking, I don't know why this is. test data rata is fine, it's a dell, 2.3 gig processor and it's loading onto a 120 gig drive. what setting don't I have right?

Unregistered guest
I have a JVC GR-D27Ou. With brilliant footage for my films. The problem that arises is that Movie MAker, on my windows XP pc, says that it does not detect the camera I have on the computer.

I purchased a fire wire and a USB transformer because my computer does not have the fire wire input. It says driver detected but .... it remains unknown.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED. I HAVE A SCREENING FRIDAY AND MUST GET THIS EDITED.

THANK YOU!!!

Supermeatball
Unregistered guest
beatlesbob

Make sure you have latest patch.
You said your using firewire (not USB 2.0)
Because I had same prob with USB.

Unregistered guest
CHICO

I have heard different opinions on mini DV tapes about how many times you can reuse them. From 5 to 100 times. Whats your opinion on this and if you can reuse them do you erase them before you use them. If you do erase how? Run them in camera or bulk erase (big magnet)?

Thanks mike

monika55
Unregistered guest
wow i finaly bought i-link kabel and it is 100% better. fjew i thought that my camera is bad, but now i see it isn't!!! hehe

i capture film on computer, and everything works fine, but when i burn to the dvd and play it on dvd player, there is no sound! why?

Unregistered guest
Why have I never had to deal with digital video problems, (or others like spyware and viruses). Oh yeah, that's right, I have an Apple. Think different friends.

zeuszema
Unregistered guest
Hello All,

I own a old model of Sony DCR-TRV22 and a laptop that supports USB2.0 loaded with Windows 2000

Is there any way I can transfer the video recorded on the MiniDV tapes to the PC using USB2.0? I would want to edit some of the clips before burning this to VCD.

What is it that I need to do get a good quality conversion ?

Zeus Zema

monika55
Unregistered guest
@zeuszema
you will get a 100% better quality with i-link cabel -1394 than with usb!

Unregistered guest
I have a Sony Handycam, DCR-hc90, that records on mini-DV cassettes. I have a Dell w/Windows XP Media Center 2005. I purchased the USB-2 hi-speed cable recommended (by Sony) for the hc-90. I'm using Picture Package, ver 1.5. I can get the computer to recognize the camcorder but can't get Picture Package to, even tho I'm using its "USB Streaming Tool." I set camcorder to USB streaming. But Picture Package Streaming Tool screen gives me the message, "Unable to detect video camera."

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm not ready to think about Firewire vs USB yet. My computer doesn't have Firewire port. I'm also not ready to go purchase more stuff. I'll worry about quality once I can get the camcorder to be recognized by the computer/Picture Package.

Any ideas will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks,
Ginny

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
supermeatball: i have used my mini dv tapes 100 of times, and have used digital 8 tapes 100's of times, mostly i never record over material though since i keep it all archived so no need for me to erase...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
monika55:

what software are you using to capture and edit your film before going to dvd? give a bit more info...

check settings in your software and check stream settigns on your camera to allow audio to go through... it may be a codec problem from dvd burning...

cheers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
jrich:

i use apple and pc and never have any problems... i think diferently but i am also resourcefull, when the apple won't do what i want i use pc, when pc don't do what i want i use apple... they are both great and both have their own advantages... as far as viruses and spyware.. thats an end user behaviour that can be changed... it's not the pc's fault

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
zeus:

get a firwire card instead of using usb 2.0, data transfer rate is a bit faster with usb 2.0 when all conditions are right but... usb seems to not function on majority of cams and puters since i think it has a throughput problem with digital video...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
ginny:

ensure that the photo settings on your camera are set correctly for the usb stream... sony software can be abit funky so ensure that your software is also set properly

cheers

pharmer
Unregistered guest
Hi, I recently bought a Sony DCR-HC42 digital camcorder to document my wife's pregnancy. I was under the impression from my research and the salesman that DVD creation (without loss of quality!) would be simple.

I have since connected the camera to my computer using the provided USB cable and attempted to capture the video using Sony's Picture Package v 1.5. The image quality was very poor. I then tried to capture the video in Sonic's myDVD (using HQ setting and taking close to 4GB of HD space to hold 60m of video). Again, I found significant loss of quality.

I just have a very simple question. How can I transfer the video from miniDV tape to a DVD-R without loss of quality? It really defeats the purpose for me to record to VHS, but at this point, that will give me the best overall quality.

Thanks for whatever help you can give!

CT

Anonymous

I am using SONY-DCR-TRV22.
The Video taken using the handy cam is just great. Watching the DV thru camera directly connected to TV is crystal clear and smooth.
But my problem is that when I am making a VCD I wish to know how to transfer the VIDEO from MiniDV cassette to PC. I mean which one (USB2 or Firewire) will be better.
I couldn't see any ways to transfer using USB2. I may have to purchase the new firewire interface card.
Please suggest me any good firewire interface card brand.
what are the specifications i need to look for before purchasing the card.
Please HELP.

Unregistered guest
pharmer
Don't capture using USB if you read the past posts it just doesn't do the job right or at all. Get a firewire card if you don't have one it's the best way. And 60 min of video will use about 10 to 15 Gig's of hard drive space. Yea it's alot! I did Weddings 2-3 minidv tapes take up 25-35 Gigs.

Mike

Username: Avz10

I would like to get info on actual programmes that one can use to convert miniDV to DVD(preferably freeware). I have a Panasonic NV GS 250 and a Firewire port. As far as I understand it, one needs the following:
1) a programme to capture
2) a programme to edit
3) a programme to convert/encode to mpeg 2
4) a programme to write to DVD

Can't one use one programme for all of these, and as I have said what are the freeware available? For me it is important to try to preserve the quality of the recording, I do not mind the size so much, since DVD discs are quite cheap.
Is any one aware of a good tutorial/step by step guide to convert it?
I have Intervideo WinDVD Creator 2 on my computer,I have used that to convert VHS to DVD. Is this programme appropriate?

Anonymous

hi, i have a canon zr100 camera. i just bought a firewire port to hook it to my pc. but i am having alot of trouble with it. it wont capture anything! it just says unknown error. Please HElp

Unregistered guest
Dear Friends,
A have the following situation:
Mini Dv camera:
-Sony Handycam HC21
Computer-Desktop:
-Pentium 4 CPU 1.80 GHz
128 MB RAM
Win XP Home SP2
40 Gb HD 7.200 RPM
USB port 2.0
cd-writer 9100 HP
No DVD writer
No Firewire port
Software: Windows MovieMaker, PicturePackage (bundled with the camera)
Notebook:
Satellite M35X-S1142
Celeron 1.3 GHz
512 MB RAM
Win XP SP2
60 GB HDD
USB Port
DVD/CD-RW
Firewire port
Software: ARCSOFT ShowBiz, Windows MovieMaker, Pixela and Picture Package (bundled with the camera)
I 'm thinking to convert my homemade films in midia that can be read by DVD Players.My first attempts (using USB ports and Picture Package) were not so good to look at. Is there any ideas how to improve my videos using the equipment I already have or should I consider buying new gear?
Thanks,
Clemente

Supermeatball
Unregistered guest
Clemente
Check earlier post about USB.
It's not the camera
You need a firewire on your desktop that celeron 1.3 on your laptop may not be enough. You can get a firewire card for your decktop and the software you get with the camera or computer is not the best its OK. Try getting some different software like Adobe, studio 10, etc.

mike

Supermeatball
Unregistered guest
Anonymous
You are aware that VCD is not a DVD. Two different formats VCD is lower resolution. Any firewire card should do.

Just about everyones problem in here is that they are trying to capture using USB. Even though the manufactures say you can. USE FIREWIRE!

Canon ZR100 try starting the program first then the camera then try it different ways some software is temperamental.

Mike

farfromhappy
Unregistered guest
my suggestion,

before you post anything, read earlier posts!

no one wants to help a f***in idiot who doesn't want to help themself

and in case you're too dumb to get what i mean by that

USE FIREWIRE, DO NOT USE USB got it?

Username: Avillegas

Greetings to you all. I'm new at this. I have a JVC GR DVL-300. I need a LOT of help to convert the video on the DV tape to a file on my computer. So:
a) The computer does not detect the cam. How should i connect it? Wich port should i use? I've read about a fire wire but i don't know what it is.
b) Pinnacle gets stuck when trying to detect the device. I'm using windows XP.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Any help will be very well received. Thanks to you all.
Anthony.

Surfer99
Unregistered guest
Problems with Premier Elements 2.0. when I add an .AVI file already in my hardrive to the program using ADD MEDIA the picture is not there but the audio is. I have used this same file in Windows Movie Maker, the program that always crashes, with no problem. Any suggestions? It's my first time using Premier. I appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this.

Surfer99
Unregistered guest
Problem with Premier Elements 2.0. When I add an .AVI file already in my hard drive to the program using the ADD MEDIA option I don't get the video, only the audio. I have used this same file with Windows Movie Maker, the program that always crashes, with no problem. It's my first time using Premier. Any suggestions on how to fix this will be greatly appreciated.

Madhu123
Unregistered guest
I am using Dazzle (Pinnacle) firewire card for capturing my Mini DV Video to my computer and then to a DVD. It is giving me high quality picture.

Stardust
Unregistered guest
I'm having a problem a problem copying from DV to DVD+R. I have my camcorder hooked up to a standalone DVD recorder using RCAs, but when I try to record it says it's copy protected. I had no idea you could copy protect DVs, but a friend of mine recorded it on his camcorder. I was wondering if there's a way to get around the copy protection. I've had no luck searching the web for help, so any suggestions about it or where I might look for help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Username: Abhaypatny

Hi

I am using DCR-HC21 of Sony. I have the firewire port as well on my Laptop which is Pentium 4 3.0 GHz and running Win XP Professional on it
I also have DVD burner

I want to buy Adobe Premiere elements 2.0.
Just before buying I want to confirm few things about it :

* Is Premiere sufficient for home movies editing and capturing?
* Can Premiere write to DVDs and VCDs both?
* Any known problems with premiere elements 2.0

PLEASE GUIDE ME

Abhay

Username: Mr_hobo

I am using a mini-dv camcorder. I am using the software "video capturing tool" by sony - it came with the camera. The quality is Horrific! Can someone tell me how to get better quality. I am using a USB cord to transfer my videos.

thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 8407
Do not use USB to transfer videos. Use the DV output or Firewire.

Berny, can you please explain "DV output"?

For Firewire, do i have to buy something special for it, or can i just buy the wires?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8415
Check the manual of your camcorder on how to transfer videos. If your camcorder has a DV output, it will tell you. Look under specifications and see if you have a DV output or IEEE1394 capability. Your PC should also have a Firewire input or IEEE1394. If not, you have to get a video capture card that has this.

Thats the Problem, I can not find the manual. I have a Sony HandyCam DCR-HC42 NTSC. how do i find out if my computer has a fire wire imput?

thanks alot for helping me.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8860
That model has firewire outputs. Go here.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-DCR-HC42-Camcorder-Review.htm

Post Number: 4
ok thank you. Just one more question, will it improve my quality when I transfer it? When I watch it on my camcorder, the quality is excelent, but when I transfer it on the computer, it is horrific. Will the Fire wire Make the quality better?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8876
Yes it will.

Post Number: 5
Thank you Berny, I will be getting one soon. Thank you for all the help.

-Wes

Username: Adilj

hi all and i must say u all r doin gr8 job helpin oderz

well from all dis i understood dat no matter wich ever camera it iz, no matter wich ever software you use, use FIREWIRE for convertion.

Well im havin Panasonic NV-GS47. itz gud. i myself use USB cable n d bundled software SweetMovieLife. i have some questions to ask plz help me out

1. i have a laptop wich has a firewire port but d lap iz 1.8 Ghz n 256 memory whereaz im havin a computer in office 3.2 Ghz 1 GB memory widout d firewire card. so wot do u recommend do i buy a firewire card for office computer n convert d moviez dere or latop will also give gud results.

2. iz dere any gud software u recommend for d conversion process or d bundled softwarez r also gud?

3. wen i convert thru USB cable d converted movie iz in GBz. so will d size decrese wen i will use firewire cable? because i use another software to convert d avi 2 dvd or vcd.

4. wen i convert using USB cable d date and time are not shown in d converted movie whereaz wen i watch it in camera, it shows both date and time.

5. and lastly wich firewire card iz gud i mean in terms of quality and also wich firewire cable?

Thanks alot. Hope to hear soon so i can buy deze stuff.

Username: Panchaldharmesh

Ahmedabad, Gujarat India

hi all,
I have DCR-HC42E, I want to copy recorded MiniDV tape to VCD, I have tried as per manual, but it gives error that "Please insert blank video cd", I have already inserted Blank cd-r in my Cd writer. Please support me,

Hope to hear soon
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us