Archive through October 03, 2004

Hi!
I need some help, regarding the NTSC - Pal formats.
I consider buying a mini DV cam (something like Sony's DCR PC 9/5). I want to buy it in USA, but I will use it mostly in Europe (Pal countries). Will I have any problems viewing the rushes on Pal TV, when played from the camera? Can I hook the camera to a Pal VCR? Will I able to do editing on a PC used in Europe?
Thanks

Mitch
Your editing suite should will be able to edit in both forms, but if you tried to run your camera through the wrong vcr or tv you will most likley have problems. I think.

Keimo Alavursti
hi,
You will have a problem with older TV's in europe, they can not show ntsc format, but then again most of modern tv's have ntsc capability, but if you want to record on VHS, you will need a VCRQ that can play ntsc, otherwise you will get black&white picture and the picture will "spin", since ntsc is 60Hz and pal is 50Hz so they are not compatible. Then again, there are "boxes" which convert pal to ntsc and the other way around. Hope this helps. Oh yes, PC won't give you any trouble, doesn't care weather it is PAL or NTSC.

Anonymous
Hi! Guys,

Today i went to Bestbuy.The sales guy said you could record in any format by setting some switch on the camcorder. So, i tried to look setting but i could not find any. When i asked him, he said he would find out and never came back. So i came home.

Is it true that you can record any format. Are there any camcorders like that.

No you may not record in any format on cameras bought in U.S. yet, only NTSC. When asked why we didn't carry NTCS/PAL camcorders at my company we were told that it is currently not legal in the U.S. and I haven't found anything to dispute that yet. In looking for dual mode camcorders I have only found one or the other. Good luck finding knowledgable or helpfull salesmen at BestBuy.

Sony Fan
Hi,
Additional to that, I have a question, can we use the PAL-Mini-DV tape on NTSC-Camcoder, what will be the result like ?

I like to try that out, just like to get some ideas and suggestions before I going to do that !

It is not illegal to sell PAL camcorders in the US! The problem might be that the brand doesn't allow it, which is why there is a grey market.

A DV tape is a DV tape, is a DV tape. No diff.

I have not seen a single dual system camcorder on the market, and I would not expect to see one either. There are two main differences between NTSC and PAL; Sample size 720x480(NTSC) vs. 720x576(PAL) and timebase 30fps(NTSC) vs. 25fps(PAL)

I would go for the PAL model!

Here's a great technical resource on DV: http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-tech.html

Tony
Hey Anyone,
okay, i bought some dv tapes in Denmark when i was there recently, used a camera that i borrowed from a friend in Italy and everything went smoothly. then i got back to the states and tried to play back the tape but it looked shitty. Question: i hear a dv tape is a dv tape...does it change only when recorded on, so it doesn't matter where you buy the tapes, only what kind of camera you have? then another question: If i got an NTSC camera, cause i am in the states, is there a converter i could get to playback PAL dv tapes, a separate editing device, or is there no way i can see these tapes from Denmark? Sorry about the lenght but some of you guys seem really knowledgable. Thanks!

I have just bought a new mini dv cam I recorded some video and it played back fine then I changed tapes to record a wedding and it won't play back. I can speed it up to 2X and get a somewhat garbled picture, but at normal speed I just get a blue screen. Both tapes were brand new sony tapes. what could be the problem?

Kc
Hi,
i'm just new to my DV, its a Sony DCR-TRV16E. my camera allows for both NTSC and PAL modes. After reading up on it, i was lead to believe that using PAL and recording in SP mode would acheive the best quality video. It looks decent on the TV, but if i try to capture in on my pc using USB streaming, i find the quality to be hopeless, and even worse since i began using the PAL and SP combination (previously i was using NTSC in LP mode). It has become very blocky.

I am using ULead Visual Studio7 and PIXELA ImageMaker Software for capturing. I even capture at their best quality modes.

Is it the software that is giving me the crappy video? am i using the wrong modes? What should i do?

If anyone can help me it is much appreciated!
Thanx for reading.

Hi,

Can anybody guide me that if I am buying a mini dv based sony cam coder. will it work in INDIA?

Pls. reply on my mail id.
Thanks

Anonymous
RE: Kc Well I have the DV Sony DCR TRV16E and for what I know up to now I can only record in PAL but I can play back in my mini DV camera an NTSC video recorded from another camera. I have tried several methods in Transferring my PAL to NTSC videos and the best results are doing as follows: First, I download my videos to the computer using Fire wire card & cable (I.link) instead of USB the pixela software works better with that and you get very good video quality. Even Better quality using Windows Movie Maker that comes with Win XP Professional( saving it as AVI). This files take a lot of space on hard drive usually + or -- 4 Gb for 20 min Video. Then I open them with Adobe Premier (Video editing software) and export them to a folder as NTSC AVI format using the original settings configuration. With my computer it takes about 1 hour and 15 min to transform the 20 min AVI video from PAL to NTSC. Also the video looses quality when doing this but is the best I have achieved. Then you can put your videos in to VCDS (Low to medium quality), SVCDs (better quality) or burn them into a DVD. If you need very high quality video conversion the best ting would be to save the PAL AVI Videos on to a DVD and sending the DVD to a professional video editing company to convert it. You can find competitive prices over the Internet and by sending the DVD by mail.

Please If anybody knows a better method to convert DV AVI PAL to NTSC please post it because I think that many people are in the same shoe. Thanks !

I just read the post by Anonymous regarding the Pal DV to NTSC conversion using Adobe premiere which I have. How does it know to save it in NTSC format? Do you selct this or do you have to use special settings? I guess I am asking if the conversion process happens auotmatically in Adobe or I have to use some special settings.

Unregistered guest
THis posting is to address the question by Anonymous & Michael Herman. As for converting PAL avi file to NTSC DVD, use the software TMPGEnc (Tsunami MPEG encoder) program. This would take a PAL avi file for input and produce NTSC mpg file auitable for DVD production. Once you create the mpg file any DVD authoring program can help create the DVD.

As for using Adobe Premiere to save in NTSC format. As you start a new project this selection is part of initial setting. You can also select the project properties and review this setting.

If you have further questions re this please email me.

Unregistered guest
I live in Australia and you can only get Pal system video cameras, but I want to buy one that can record on NTSC format as I have family in america and I would like to send my kid's videos for them to watch.
Can anybody recommend something?
Can NSTC playback on Pal TV video camera record NTSC or not?
I need all the help you can provide

MarianoL
Unregistered guest
anonymous said:
<i>"I have tried several methods in Transferring my PAL to NTSC videos ...."<i>

For the best of my knowledge, you are doing the right (<b>and Chaper<b>) way. But you can achieve better results if you convert the avi file with adobe after efects, its rendering engine is much better than the one that comes with Premiere, so you can achieve better results.

But if you are going to do this frecuently you will be happier buying a PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL Transcoder (you can find them on the net ranging from $300 to $35,000)

Unregistered guest
Hi!I am in India and got Pinnacle studio Version 8 for DV editing from US.This recognises only NTSC as it was brought from North America.

Now I realise that there is a European Version which I should have brought but its too late.

What are the alternatives you can suggest. what is the cheapest s/w to convert PAL videos to NTSC
regards
jagmohan

rola
Unregistered guest
hello, my friend from Canada wants to send me a mini DV to watch,i guess NTSC format, can i play it on my mini DV from Europe? PLEASE LET ME KNOW before he sends it to me. Thanks.

Username: Gnsanz

Post Number: 1
Hi everybody! I'm a guy from Spain, and I would like to buy a panasonic dv953 in the us this summer. It doesn't matter if it's NTSC format, since I have Adobe Premiere and can edit in both formats (PAL & NTSC).

The only thing I'm not sure of is if the camcorder will work with mini dv tapes from Europe, or just with the U.S ones, cause that would be a problem.

Thanks

Unregistered guest
Hi there - hope this doesn't seem like too dumb a question..

I'm currently sharing my time pretty evenly between the US and the UK, and my employer has requested that I begin shooting a travelogue on MiniDV in both countries, uploading edited clips to a website and eventually producing a DVD of the final footage. I'll be using either Adobe or FinalCut to edit. My budget for the camera is around $800.
Can anyone recommend a camera which fits the bill?
Should I purchase an NTSC or PAL camera? Does it make a difference when the footage is being uploaded to a laptop anyway?
Will blank DV tapes purchased in either country be compatible with cameras in either country?
Do I sound embarrasingly clueless?

Any help would be appreciated folks (apart from the last query which should remain rhetorical..)

Thanks,

David

David Nicholson
Unregistered guest
Me again - scratch the question about the tapes compatibility - just read back the posts and saw the entry: a Dv tape is a DV tape etc.

One thing though - are most camera power packs dual voltage (ie both 110V and 240V compatible?)

Thanks again,

David

Unregistered guest
Dear Friends..
I'm from Jordan and as u all know we use the PAL system. Currently I'm in USA and I want to buy a camcorder taking into consideration the system differences. Most TVs sold in my country are multisystem and they support the NTSC system as well as the VCRs. In this case u have 2 options: 1. to buy any camcorder and then when u need to watch the recorded tape, simply switch the TV color system into NTSC or (which is the best)
2. to buy a camcorder the supports both systems and I'm sure that u will find one. I have Nikon coolpix 4500 digital camera and the video option in it supports both systems: PAL & NTSC and when u record, u need to switch one of the systems on.

Unregistered guest
Dear Friends,

I have a Digital Handycam DCR-TRV17E PAL. I would like to record what I have on my Mini DV on a DVD. I did some try but unfortunately I am not able to get the same quality of image as I have on my DV. What kind of support should I use to get the same high quality.
I would really appreciate some advise.

Thanks,
Denis

A. L.
Unregistered guest
Hello,

I have a PAL PD150 camcorder, but I wanted to buy a cheaper camcorder to use as a deck to reduce the wear on my PD150. I'd like this to be some sort of Sony NTSC camcorder if possible. Will I be able to capture PAL tapes from an NTSC camcorder? I know DV tape isn't inherently PAL or NTSC, but I can't just assume it will work.

Anonymous

hi anyone !!
i have one problem :-) i bought the Sony DCR-TRV16e and this dv cam has only a DVOUT but no dv in ! so its possible to capture the video to the computer but i cant send it back to my dv cam.
someone told me that its possible to change the dv out to dv in with a little program ....
its not legal to do that but i am interessted in doing that so if someone knows a program crack ore somthing like that i can use so please tell me :-)

Anonymous

Hi every one,
I have a Digital Handycam DCR-TRV17E. I had tried recording images direct from the television using the supplied a/v connecting cable, couldn't record. I purchased the optional s cable for recording, still I did not succeed. Can some someone offer any help.

Finally how do I transfer images to the computer using windows XP operating system?
okey mike

Cor
Unregistered guest
Hello,

I am planning to buy a Sony TRV22E, so it is a PAL miniDV. Next I want to playback recordings of this machine on some TV in Japan. As I don't know whether that TV or the connected VCR, is multi-system, I was wondering whether the following solution would work;

1) Capture the video on a PC in Japan using a Firewire card,
2) Convert the AVI files (PAL) into AVI files (NTSC) by using one of the programs listed in in the threads before(Adobe Premiere, Adobe After Effects or TMPGEnc),
3) Record the AVI files (NTSC) onto a new MiniDV tape using my PAL MiniDV camcorder (using its Video-in),
4) Playback the NTSC tape on a Japanese NTSC TV, using the PAL camcorder.

The question is; are steps 3 and 4 possible / does this work??

Would be very glad with your answer,

Cor

Unregistered guest
i have a sony DCR TRV33 NTSC handycam brought in the USA. Currently i am in india where the system used is the PAL one. Is it possible to transfer the PAL VCR tapes using the handycam to the computer ie. to a digital format ? Am trying this, as the this handycam has that facility to transfer analogue to a digital signal ! Have tried it and only the sound goes through, but not the picture ! Can somebody please help ? Sorry fr the long question !

Unregistered guest
I recorded a tape on an 8mm tape and on tranferring to vhs tape using ntsc format 3hrs would not fit on a 3 hour vhs tape why?

Unregistered guest
Ok,

lets sort this out

NTSC and PAL are different video standards (you with me so far) for two main reasons

they use different FRAME RATES (PAL=25 frames Per second, NTSC=29.97 fps)

they also have a different resolution (think of it in terms of pixels per inch, or horizontal lines on the screen)

NTSC is generally agreed to be of lesser quality than PAL in absolute terms, but if you're shooting for North America it's far better to shoot NTSC than convert it later.

Why do we lose quality on conversion -
due to the fact that these standards are different frame rates and different resolutions, any device offering to 'transcode' (switch a signal) between the two standards has to "guess" at what is going in between the missing frames and fill in the lines lost in resolution.

Any DV, VHS or other video tape is blank until we record onto it and has no kind of frame rate setting in built. When we have recorded, say, some PAL footage onto the first half we can add NTSC after that, but unless you have a Multi-Format VCR you can't switch between the two. Even after you have recorded stuff, you can demagnetise (erase) the tape and start again in any system you like.

What no domestic machine can do well is transcode (switch systems from NTSC to PAL or otherwise). This is done best by professionals who charge for the use of their equipment by the length of footage you want changed. You can get VCRs by plenty of companies which will offer to change systems, but they aren't good quality (good enough for family home videos but NOT recommended for submissions to Film Schools!)

Some DV decks (sony DSR-11, DSR-25) will record in either NTSC or PAL, but not convert between the two.

As for getting High Quality video into you computer, if you shoot in DV you have to do this over FireWire, then you will get true DV quality. Software which does this (and is free) - MovieMaker or Avid Free for windows, iMovie for Mac. To convert ANalogue (svhs or composite) video to DV you can get little import boxes such as the Formac Studio TVR

NTSC video tapes have to be longer than PAL as they have a faster frame rate (29.97 frames per second gets through 2m of tape per minute rather than 1.42 for PAL - or something like that).

If you're interested I shoot in PAL on Canon cameras (only) and edit on a Mac in Final Cut Pro, before burning to DVD (region free, but PAL system) and the quality is fantastic)

Chris

James C
Unregistered guest
Hello all,

Just surfed into this forum... Most of my questions have already been answered by Chris C's highly informative post. Thanks Chris!

So, I now have a grasp of the PAL/NTSC video standards. My 'predicament':

I live in the UK, I will be shooting in the UK, editing in the UK, viewing in the UK...

As far as I can see, camcorders are much cheaper in the USA + the £ is strong at the moment.

I have two options: I either buy a Panasonic MX953 (NTSC) from the states -a great 3-chip camcorder…

Or I buy an inferior 1-chip camcorder from the UK (for the same money) -this would be PAL.

All I want to be able to do with my footage is, edit it on my PC and burn to DVD for me and my friends.

I have been told that most modern UK DVD players will play NTSC DVDs (poor quality???)

So… do I get the better NTSC camcorder, or an inferior (1-Chip) PAL camcorder? I.e. do I trade in the better video standard for a better camera or vice versa??

Thanks in anticipation.

James Covell
Newcastle upon Tyne
England

Unregistered guest
whats the best software to convert PAL to NTSC for a mac? Could someone tell me. It needs to be converted from MiniDV (edited using Imovie) to DVD or miniDV(NTSC). I don't want to convert to quicktime first or avi etc as this reduces the quality. Many Regards if you could tell me.

PS: most cameras seem to be dual now.

AndrewUK
Unregistered guest
This U.S site sells imported PAL camcorders back to the U.K at prices less than if you bought them
in the U.K.

Rip off Britain?

AndrewUK
Unregistered guest
Sorry the site is:

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/main_item.asp?id=964589419

Jersey Boy
Unregistered guest
Hello All,

I bought a PAL DV system from the USA for my relatives in India. When I was there I recorded 6 dv's for me to bring back to the states. the dv's don't work in the NTSC DV system. Can anyone recommend me a place or a URL I can go to so I can view them at home here in the USA

Username: Shdwsclan

These are the basics of NTSC Vs Pal
NTSC is a better format, better researched and a very good aspect ratio. Pixel size is .9 .
It is a waste of money buying a PAL DV cam.
NTSC will play on older PAL TVs in B/W.
NTSC will play on really old PAL/SECAM in color because of the closeness between SECAM/NTSC.
NTSC will play in color on newer/more moderne PAL tv/vcr because of a revelation called PAL60/NTSCM which adjusts the color carrier from 3.58to4.43. NTSCM is the new standard and new tvs sold in US and Japan can carry both carriers but not the PAL50 which is the classic.

Bottom line, in Europe, if your in a hotel, and you dont have a carrier adjuster, you will get B\W picture from a RCA/SVIDEO/COAX source.

You do not need an expensive converter because EURO TVs can compensate, but you need a color carrier atunuator to adjust the color carrier between 3hz and 5hz.

Sri
Unregistered guest
I guess there are too many questions on NTSC/PAL. Let me ask a few more.
I am planning to buy a miniDV camcorder (Sony or Canon, any suggestion as to which is better is welcome) in US which will be NTSC. Now can I do the following??
1. Record in US or elsewhere, be it NTSC, Transfer to PC thro' firewire and burn in CD-R or DVD-R. (I am assuming that camcorders come with the required software).
2. Does the software allow transfering in any format?
3. Can I still connect my PC to TV (S-video) and watch from the CD/DVD drive regardless of the format in the PC?

I will stop for now. Thanks for info.

Unregistered guest
Hi all.

Thanks for all the info here. But I am still stuck on one problem.

I just got back to the UK with some video footage taken in the US with a (presumably) NTSC DV camcorder on miniDV tapes.

When I try to play them back on my own JVC camcorder, which is PAL, the footage seems to be garbled. I am make out that it has the footage on it, but the it is very distorted.

I have tried using a Firewire connection to grab the footage to the Mac and see if I can do conversion there, but no luck.

Any ideas, suggestions? Please help.

Edward

Unregistered guest
I've already learned a LOT from reading the info. here, but thought I'd pose my question, anyway. I have an AvidXpressDV editing system (but haven't learned it yet), we just got the computers, and are now deciding on the camera. We're setting up our own little prod. studio, and can spend up to approx. $6000 (at the high end) for a camcorder. I can't decide between PAL or NTSC. We live in the US, and want to shoot videos to stream (VOD) onto a website, and I'm getting ready to shoot a small documentary for submission to videofests. I'm leaning toward the JVC5000, and my partner likes the Canon in PAL format. Please HELP. BTW, thanx so much for all the information already given.

Chandra

Dish Network Satellite Direct TV Directv reviewed
Unregistered guest
Dish Network Satellite Direct TV Directv reviewed
http://www.geocities.com/free_satellite_tv_dish_system/

mm
Unregistered guest
Hi, My humble question to James Covell (as I amin the same situation ) Have you got any answer to your questions?

Thanks in advance for the info

mm

Nuffy
Unregistered guest
Hi, I am wondering if someone could help me in with regards to trying to record back from my PC to my Sony Handycam. I am currently trying to record back a movie that I have edited in Image Mixer and I would like to record it back onto my Sony DCRTRV-22e handycam - Can I do this?? If so, can someone help me out with some instructions.

Regards
Nuffy

funwithstuff
Unregistered guest
For those of you who have a choice between NTSC and PAL, make sure you'll have a native format playback mechanism when you come to edit it, whatever you choose. Some Sony PAL camcorders will play back NTSC tapes, but if you can't get the DV master back onto tape, that's a problem.

If you're aiming for higher image resolution, choose PAL: 576 vs 480 vertical resolution. Frame rate (25 vs 29.97) is not a big perceived difference to the eye.

If you're aiming for film-look, choose PAL, and a camcorder that can shoot progressive. Note that recent Sony models that shoot progressive scan cannot use their widescreen mode simultaneously.

If you're shooting widescreen, get a camcorder that shoots it natively (ie. anamorphic). Late model Sony and Canon both do, but only Sony shows you the anamorphic video corrected in the viewfinder/LCD. Be careful: many models either crop the CCD output and stretch to tape, or worse, just record matted (black bar) widescreen. You want a wide CCD or an adapter lens if possible.

NTSC is not a "better standard". It's an older standard. Some people like to refer to it as "Never The Same Colour". The frame rate difference between PAL and NTSC is historical, for reasons related to the phase of the electricity (50Hz/60Hz).

Some more techy info: http://www.vtpcorp.com/htm/infoctr.htm

neha
Unregistered guest
hiiee guys.. im from india and am currently in usa... i bought a sony trv 19-a mini dv camcorder from circuit city and recorded some stuff... it is now not being converted in india onto a vcd.. do u have any suggestions on wat i can do? the camera was bought a month ago... do u think circuit city can help me out with this..?? pls leme know..

Silver Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 448
you have to first download the movie to the pc, then convert to mpeg2 so you can transfer it to a vcd

Anonymous

Hello guys.. it seems that PAL will give more advantage on quality. Anyhow I got some difficult situation to choose between PAL/NTSC. I am now considering to buy Panasonic PV-GS15 (NTSC) and NV-GS15 (PAL).

http://www.panasonic.ca/English/audiovideo/video/palmcorder/PVGS15.asp

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/camcorders/nvgs15b/index.htm

The main problem is NTSC version has COLOR viewfinder while PAL version equipped with B/W viewfinder.

Actually I live in country which PAL is standard. But I would like to buy this camera to collect my holiday days. It is my intention to use firewire to digitally capture to my pc, and burn it into "VCD" disc and "MPEG I" files.

So, does NTSC camera will give me any lower quality on normal VCD or MPEG I file? or PAL camera will give better resolution?

Because both "color viewfinder" and "movie quality" have same wieght to my decision.

The reason that I am not going for another model is 24x optical zoom and I like this camera's handling feels.

Thks a lot for your comment ^o^

Unregistered guest
Hi to All,
I'm recently at the US while I live in Jordan (PAL Country). I want to buy the new Sony DCR-HC20E (PAL) or DCR-HC20 (NTSC). the only deference between them is the CCD 1/6". The DCR-HC20 Effective Video Pixel is 340.000 while the DCR-HC20E is 400.000. Does anyone knows whether this deference really affect video quality and worth around 150$ extra cost on PAL version? at the end all video tapes will be burned on DVD

BarbeCrew
Unregistered guest
Whew, this is the oldest active forum thread I've ever seen (started in 2001!). The PAL vs NTSC discussions never seem to come to an end (much like the global GSM vs the US CDMA mobile phone discussions). Why can't the whole world just agree on one standard, namely the best?? ;) Anyway I'm going to add another spin.

As far as I'm informed most European Sony DV models and a few other brands can only PLAY BACK NTSC DV tapes (and so can the Digital 8 ones). With very few (and very expensive) exceptions, the US models can't play back PAL. BTW if the camcorder can or cannot handle PAL plus NTSC has nothing with those obscure firmware settings in the cam (as often believed). The video head and the camcorder software need to be engineered for both standards in a first place. There's no way of 'hacking' the cam to a different standard. You might want to keep that in mind when choosing the
right model. As for recording footage through the CCD, I haven't heard of any DV camcorder that can do both standards. Except maybe the NTSC ones that also do 24fps progressive (although that's more like film not PAL video).

I've heard of an A/V capture card that captures NTSC tapes played back from a PAL camcorder by switching the card to PAL-M (the Brazilian standard) at the input stage. PAL-M also runs at 60 fps so it is actually closer to NTSC than to PAL.

The problem I've noticed with most simple PAL-NTSC conversions is either that the picture is clear but jerky when converting interlaced or on the other hand the flow is smooth but the picture is distorted when the material has been de-interlaced beforehand.

There is a neat little proggie that delivers smooth motion and clear picture conversions by using intelligent algorithms and interpolations. It's called Dynapel Motion Perfect. The results are very good for that price - much better anyway than simple resizing and re-rendering in Premiere or Vegas (which gives me a headache watching for more than a minute).

My humble setup is a bit like 'best of both worlds'. I also regularly exchange DV tapes with mates in the US. My main cam is a PAL JVC and then I found a cheap used NTSC Sony on Ebay which I only use as a digital DV recorder to play back and cut NTSC tapes. I do all my footage with the PAL JVC, edit and render with Vegas, convert to NTSC in Motion Perfect and bounce it to NTSC tape on the Sony. Like this I have high quality versions in both standards. BTW the quality is much better when converting PAL to NTSC than the other way around.

peace

Username: Andreijar

Bucharest, Romania Romania

Everybody thinks that a 720x576(pal)video image looks better than a 720X480(ntsc)video image always looks ,better ,sharper.I am talking now about images obtained with digital camcorders wich all can not provide more than 520-530of real horisontal resolution no matter if they are pal or ntsc.BUT THINK AGAIN! .In order to obtain a 576 horisontal lines image for a pal format ,an amount of 46-76 blank horisontal lines are added in order to reach 576 from the 500/520/530 real lines recorderd by the cam.For an ntsc video file format 20-50 lines are taken out to obtain a 480 horisontal resolution(all of thiese are read from a HI-Tech magazine).RESULT:THE NTSC IMAGE MIGHT HAVE ONLY 480 LINES BUT IT HAS MORE DENSITY AND LOOKS SHARPER THAN THE THE 576 PAL IMAGE WICH IS DILUTED BY THOSE ADDED BLANK LINES,BECAUSE THOSE ONLY 480 LINES ARE ALL REAL.I have noticed this comparing different pal and ntsc video files(pal dvd-ntsc dvd,pal mpg2-ntsc mpg2,avi pal-avi ntsc...)edited with ulead sistem software and shot with the same camcorder,viewing them on a high resolution computer monitor.BELIVE ME OR BELIVE ME NOT.Just don't overapreaciate Pal when talking about digital camcorders,at least not until these machines will be able to deliver more than 576 horisontals.

Anonymous

[QUOTE]I am talking now about images obtained with digital camcorders wich all can not provide more than 520-530of real horisontal resolution no matter if they are pal or ntsc.[/QUOTE]
You may be right if you talk about pre-98 models which worked at 500+ lines interlaced. All the models of this millenium can deliver at least 1000 lines interlaced, some even more than 2000. The accuracy of colours obtained with a decent PAL model are definitely superior than its NTSC cousin. Or is it a matter of taste now?

Ahmad Qasem
Unregistered guest
Hi to All Again,
Back to my last massage, regarding video quality between Sony's DCR-HC20 (NTSC) and DCR-HC20E(PAL).The DCR-HC20 Effective Video Pixel is 340.000 while the DCR-HC20E is 400.000. I suppose that this difference will provide a better video quality on PAL version, but when I looked into both manuals they stated that the DCR-HC20 (with Effective Video Pixel 340.000) give 500 horesontal resolution, and the DCR-HC20E (with Effective Video Pixel 400.000) ALSO provide a 500 horesontal lines! Does this means that the vedio quality in both versions are the same! any help ..

Unregistered guest
Hi,
I bought a sony dcr trv33 mini dv camera from US which is NTSC version but I live in India where PAL is used . Well if I transfer the footage to a computer than burn it to cd is it possible that I playback to CD player in india. Also Is it possible that I directly view my footage on TV by connecting my camera to PALTV.

Please help me in that

Sarhawww
Unregistered guest
I have a DCR-TRV17E and am trying to capture in Final Cut pro and its not working. Any help?

Unregistered guest
I have a Panasonic GS12 MiniDV Camcorder bought in the US. But when I travel back to India, will I be able to playback directly (using the available A/V cable) on the Indian TVs that run on PAL system? What is the complexity involved in converting the tapes to CD that can be used in India?

Thanks in advance.

raiders04
Unregistered guest
I want to but a Sony MiniDV handycam in USA
(NTSC). I want to see on TV in both USA (NTSC)
and India (PAL). How can I do that? If I
purchase a dual mode TV in India, can I directly
connect my handycam to TV and view. Secondly
I I burn it into a NTSC vhs, will I be able to
view in dual-format tv?

Username: Hguy

hi all,

a quick one: i'll have a ntsc mini-dv camcorder. can i make recordings from my digital pal tv system with it (with tv-out and vid-in)?

thanks,

h.

KC
Unregistered guest
Well the conclusion is, don't buy NTSC camcorders if you're living in a PAL country and vise versa.

The coversions lose quality and nothing can be done about this.

Unregistered guest
Hello
I have a DCR TRV17E handycam.
how do I transfer and edit images to the computer using window XP.

Thank you
Nugroho

Unregistered guest
Does anyone know the name of a reputable company in the USA that converts PAL recorded dvs to NTSC?
How do they do this exactly (i.e does it end up on a different DV or as file on computer, etc.)?
how much do you estimate it costs per hour of footage?
thanks!

Anonymous

Wow, my eyes are hurting from reading all that but, I must have my input, ok, PAL is the way to go, I just recently, recently as in today shot in PAL (I live in USA) and did some testing, i captured it, and brought it into After Effects, I applied the Twixtor plugin and changed the frame rate, with a pulldown, did a few more things to it and brought it into Avid as NTSC, my eyesight must be going because i did NOT notice any loss of quality, and i was even able to output back to my NTSC XL1S without a single Problem, PAL really impressed me, man can do the converting at home one just needs the right tools for the job, get TWIXTOR! I EVEN CONVERTED MY NTSC footage to PAL, no problems either, I did notice a bit of quality loss because I took frames away, AND had to Up rez, so go with PAL, NTSC standards suck, just a big pile of balls, I'm only 17 and If i can grasp this, so can all of you! so stop asking the dumb questions and just find out how to do it, there is allways a way, ok, im done, PEACE! Danke, Allen

Username: Andreijar

Romania

Post Number: 2
ok,pal is better than ntsc ,i agree.
But let's say i intend to spend 500-600$ to buy a camcorder.If i want to go for a pal machine, what can i buy in Europe?
The options are: -a late hi8 or vhs model
-or a refurbished/used/long ago out of production minidv junk
If i want to buy an ntsc model on my next trip to U.S.A,what can i buy? Well the choises i can take are amazing :

_pv-gs 120(3 ccd-s,good low-light performance)
_elura 70 or even optura 30 in a short while
-trv 33 and so on
DOES ANYONE DARE TO TELL ME THAT jvc grd 30 e(pal),a trv228e(hi8) or a medion or anyother under 450 euros pal camcorder will give me better videos than pvgs120 or optura 20?
I guess not.I,myself prefere to have very good quality videos in ntsc format than fair quality pal recordings (i am talking about the same price range).I know that pal generally gives more acurate colours but colour reproduction performance isn't only about the colour sampling system .If
if you have cyborg eyes and the 4:1:1 colour sampling(ntsc) is an insult to your sight than you really should go for pal.I am 100% human,and i find the colors that my ntsc samsung scd 23 camcorder produces very pleasing, and i am not expecting much more from my nex camcorder.The reason I want
to replace it is the poor low light performance ,but this has nothing to do with the ntsc/pal matter.

I say you must go for pal only if you don't want to bother with editing and converting,and of course
if the money is not a problem,or if you are a pro user.Hey, With the money saved by buying lets say a trv 70 instead of a trv70e you could buy a nice multisystem tv,isn't that a deal?
My ntsc videos that i have shot look great on my pc, and the most important thing is that my pal dvd player which also"speaks"ntsc is doing a great job on my tv with the ntsc dvds that i've burnt.
MY POINT IS:PAL IS A BETTER SYSTEM BUT NOT A BETTER CHOICE IN THE SAME PRICE RANGE.

Anonymous

To my friend "wal-mart" guy, what is the model number on HP

Mirko
Unregistered guest
HI,

I need help.

I have a DCR TRV22E, firewire cable and laptop (1.8 GHz intel, 20Gb HDD, firewire port, XP windows, Default XP grab software, Image Mixer 5.1 for sony....).

I have tried everything I could including kicking the table with the equipment, but there is no way to obtain better resolution than 352x288 (via firewire 25Mbit/s - I can set other transfer rates in the windows default grab software like 100Mbit/s but the software change it back to the 25Mbit/s). With USB it is max. 320x240.

Please, give me some sugestions about:

WHAT SHOULD I DO TO OBTAIN a better resolution (like 720x576)?

Thanks.

Anonymous

Hi everyone....
Do they sell PAL system camcoders in US? I would like to buy one Sony DCR PD170 (PAL). Will it be availabloe in US? Can I purchase it through online shopping? Do they send (Shipping) things to addresses at Sultanate of Oman?
Kindly give some feed back on the above doubts.

Dominik

Unregistered guest
hi
can someone tell me why pixela does not recognise my camera and will only let me copy my videos via the usb link?
the video comes out very dark and lumpy, even on pixela's best setting and tells me to adjust the camea settings if i don't like it.
i have tried this on 3 dif pc's with the same result.
i suspect pixela is dodgy software.
i am recording in PAL because i live in australia where we use all the best systems even metres, how can anyone work in feet and inches?
cheers

Unregistered guest
Sir,i am in india and use PAL here. My TV is PAL system and in AV mode it has NTSC 3.58 and NTSC4.46 modes in it. If i buy a camcorder in USA which is NTSC, can i use it in India? Once i record a DV tape in the NTSC camcorder and play it in my TV with NTSC mode, will i get a clean and clear picture? pls any knowledgable person can respond immediately as i have to take this decision in 1 to 2 days max. Thanks in advance.

Silver Member

Post Number: 910
Take a look at the manual of the camcorder and see if it can take PAL. Some camcorders have this feature.

Unregistered guest
Hey everyone,

This is one of the best forums for camcorders i have ever seen.

I am in process of buying a camcorder here in US but to use in India, and if i am not wrong, it should work in India though India has PAL and the one i am buying is a NTSC one.....Please let me know if it wrong........i have to buy it this week.

And how is Samsung, i know Sony is better....but was just wondering about the Samsung miniDV model SC-D103

Silver Member

Post Number: 934
talk to the person selling you the camcorder and ask them directly to give you a demo on how to switch between NTSC and PAL, if it can be done. if they dont' help you, walk away and find someone else who will.

AngelHito
Unregistered guest
Mirko:
Seems you are transfering your MPEG from your camera's picture taking mode and thus your 352x288 resolution or 320x240 via USB. To transfer your DV you must switch your camera to tape mode and use your firewire cable wich will transfer at 400Mbit/s

Try using freeware WinDV to capture if your have problems using XP movie maker.

your may find WinDV and many other freeware programs along with endless information at

www.videohelp.com

good luck

Unregistered guest
Hi,

I have bought a DCR-TRV16E. I am trying use the i-Link for transferring data to my compaq laptop via the IEE1394 port. The lap top does not seem to recognise the camera. Using the sony pixela image viewer for that. Anyone to suggest what is going wrong?

Thanks in advance
Mahesh

Gold Member

Post Number: 1036
make sure that the ieee1394 port is active or enabled.

Unregistered guest
Every body Hi,
I ganna buy camcorders , what kind of model is better?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1039
can you get any more obscure than that?

Ta
Unregistered guest
Hi, do someone know any minidv camcorder of any brand which support PAL and NTSC both and have some kind of switch option?

Unregistered guest
Hi,

This thread has been very informative. Now that I know I'll be able to input a pal tape to my computer via my sony ntsc miniDV cam, here's my next question.

We shot a wedding using 2 miniDV cams. One was ntsc and the other was pal (because they were from Europe). I want to edit this in final cut pro and would like to know the best was to go about assimilating the two formats for editing.

Thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1066
Make them both ntsc, do your editing, then convert one to pal.

Unregistered guest
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but how exactly do I convert the pal tape to ntsc on a mac?

Oh and one more thing, I will need to burn both pal and ntsc DVD's for the final product. Is this possible and if so, how do I do it? I use Final cut pro 4 and iDVD 4 if that helps.

Thanks in advance!!

Username: Thebooster

LondonEngland

Can I buy a PAL version of the Sony DCR-TRV33 Handycam Mini DV Digital Camcorder in the USA?

A friend of mine is visting Washington next week and the prices are so much cheaper than where I am in the uk.

Any advise?

Anonymous

Please can someone help me - I have borrowed a Digital Video Camera Recorder but unfortunately there are no instructions and I have no idea how to use it. Does anyone have a copy of the user manual for DCR-TRV17E? I shall be eternally grateful. Thanks very much.

Unregistered guest
Please can someone help me - I have borrowed a Digital Video Camera Recorder but unfortunately there are no instructions and I have no idea how to use it. Does anyone have a copy of the user manual for DCR-TRV17E? I shall be eternally grateful. Thanks very much. If possible, please email to me - gillianconway@lycos.co.uk

Morty
Unregistered guest
I found that it's possible to purchase a Sony DCR-HC40E (PAL) on http://www.amphotoworld.com/product.asp?id=sndcrhc40epal
at a - for us europeans - very good offer. You'll need to have the camcorder delivered somewhere in the States and bring it home yourself in order to save the taxes.

Anonymous

This is an amazing thread!

I just wanted to offer up some information I would have found usefull two hours ago.

when you view PAL DV video on NTSC equipment:

the picture rolls, seems to play too fast and has digital blocks all over it

I just received DV footage of Afghanastan from an american engineering firm & I thought the tape was damaged but after reading through this thread I correctly suspected it was PAL & had it professionally transfered.

I hope this thread lasts another three years.

Thankx

simonfrommontreal
Unregistered guest
let's make this short and sweet....
please just answer Yes or No....

I have a JVC GR-DV800U (NTSC) ... should it be able to play PAL dv tapes?

Anonymous

Information on satellite TV,Plasma TV, HDTV , LCD TV and its buying guidelines
visit
http://www.satellitetvjane.us

Unregistered guest
I am planning to buy a MiniDV camcorder (Perhaps NVGS11B) from UK, not sure whether it can be played back on TV in India. Both use PAL, but slightly different versions. Any ideas, or any other model which can?

thanks

Mohan
Unregistered guest
In all these posts I could find atleast 1 intelligible post which really answered the question every body is asking :

The question is : I want to buy camcorder. I want best picture. Which version should I buy : PAL or NTSC. I want best picture both in US and my homecountry.

The Answer that seemed plausible : Camcorders record at 500/520/530 horizontal lines. PAL has 576 horizontal lines. Thus your video needs to be diluted to achive that.

NTSC has 480 lines so you just need to cut off extra lines ( or compress extra lines)

The process of converting a minidv tape to DVD ( no matter which format ) is that you first connect your camcorder to your pc using firewire card. You will use some software to capture the video. These softwares when they start ask you if you want to capture in PAL or NTSC. On your PC just capture in both formats one by one. Make 2 DVDs of your movie, one in PAL and other in NTSC. Since most of europeon countries and Asian Countries ( India included, for those still wondering ), TVs can play both types of DVDs. Just see which DVD is better and present it to your friends.

BIG DUMB DECLARATION : Can any sane person endorse what I said so far. PLEASE!!!

vijayJ
Unregistered guest
I have bought a mini DV Panasonic camcorder (PAL) from UK, now I am wondering whether it can be played back directly on TV in India, or whether the DVD's produced on a laptop bought in UK would work in India, please help.

Eugr
Unregistered guest
Guys! I want to tell you something about resolution.

Regarding TV standards, the picture always (!!!) has 625/525 horizontal (=) lines (PAL/NTSC). But some of these lines are not visible, so we have only 576/480 visible lines.

The horizontal resolution (vertical lines: ||) depends on TV signal quality and may vary up to 720 lines for both PAL and NTSC (768 actually, but DV standard refers to 720). So, when you see that resolution of the camcorder is 520 lines, it means actual horizontal (|||) resolution (how many separate vertical lines you can see).

As the result, we have the same horizontal resolution for both PAL and NTSC, but 20% better vertical resolution on PAL systems.

Unregistered guest
I live in the UK, but have just bought the SONY PC109 in USA - before realising there was a difference between the two systems. I am not too clued out on these things. Sony says I need to spend $1400 on a converter. Online I have found an Emerson NTSC-PAL converter for $50. Will this do the trick? or if I but a multisystem TV will the image be perfect?

Unregistered guest
I understand that PAL offers a higer resolution (of 720 x 560) compared to NTSC (720 x 480). So my guess is that in absolute terms PAL images should be sharper. My question is if I am going to play the captured video on my computer monitor (having very high resolution ) will a PAL DV camcorder always be better than the corresponding NTSC camcorder. My intention is to burn the video in PAL mode and play on DVD drive of my computer. Appreciate inputs /comments from knowledegable folks on this forum.

Chad in Asia
Unregistered guest
Recently, my NTSC Digital 8 camcorder was stolen. I live in Asia now, so I bought a Sony Mini-DV PAL camera. I do all my video editing on the computer. I borrowed my friend's NTSC Digital 8 and hooked it up firewire to firewire with my new camera and copied my old tapes to new, mini-DV tapes. Now my problem...when I hook up the new camera to my computer and put in one of the copied tapes, Premeir Pro cannot import the footage. Everything works perfectly with new footage on mini DV tapes recorded with the new camera, it's just the copies of the NTSC footage that are not working. I tried opening the project with NTSC setting, then PAL settings, no luck yet. Please help!

Unregistered guest
Hi

I am thinking of buying a sony MiniDV NTSC, is it possible to record using the camcoder and then convert the tape to a vcd or a dvd using a PC+software like pinnacle etc and then play that VCD/DVD on a VCD/DVD player and TV which is PAL only.

Unregistered guest
Please can anyone tell me how do you convert from PAL to NTSC using After Effects or guide me to a site that explains it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Chucky

Diabolo
Unregistered guest
Since most of the actual TVs and DVDs can play both PAL and NTSC, and the mini dv tapes can record in both formats too, I think the only question is about quality.

You can watch your movie directly on the TV or save it in the pc and then burn it on a DVD in NTSC format because your DVD can play both formats too.

Unregistered guest
any way to make pal dvd files to ntcs so i can burn and watch on a ntcs dvd player

Anonymous

Hi. I am in premiere and loaded pal mini dvd in.
Once I am done editting in pal. I want my final output in nTSc. Is there a simple way to do this? I prefere DVD ntsc.
Is it better to make PAL-DVd and then convert it to NTSC-DVD or make the final out put to ntsc-avi THEN author it in ntsc dvd?
confused.
Thanks.

Username: Obo

Hi

I need some Help .I have a Pal mini DV and want to convert it in NTSC using my PC .When I capture the Tape with my Sony DCR VX2000 to my PC what is the next Step I can to. I have Vegas Video and Adobe Premier and Tmbg encoding .I can"t find a way.
Does someone know how I can do it.

Thanks in advance

Username: Bettyt456

Calgary, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 2
Thank you to all for the great info. I've learned more off this site than anywhere. I started up a satellite tv site awhile back and this site has been valuable for finding good references.

I focus mostly on Direct Tv and Dish Network but I have recently been filming my son's skateboarding competitions so all this info is great. I've been working on making DVDs from his trick clips......a long road to go.

Keep it up!

Brent

Unregistered guest
A lot of people seem to have posted without reading what has gone before, which quite frankly is an unforgiveable waste of space and time, still for those patient, helpful knowlegeable types thanks for the info and insights.

After doing quite a bit of reading and trying to come to a conclusion I am still a bit confused but have taken the plunge and I am buying the 3CCD Panasonic NV200k (NTSC) from Japan for use mainly in Australia (PAL).

The main factor is the price differential (50%)and the extra colour fidelity that 3CCDs offer over 1CCD, and the fact that I will always be burning to DVD in the NTSC format, so do not have to worry about the conversion issues such as computer time and loss of quality through the introduction of artifacts etc.

We have relatives in Japan,US, UK and here in OZ and the DVD players here seem to have no problem with NTSC movies (Commercial & Homemade) and if they do everybody I know has access to a computer to watch them on anyway.

For me the quality issue as mentioned here seems to be irrelevant as (from my understanding) when i convert to mpeg2 (DVD) format a great deal of (clever) compression goes on making the difference between pal & ntcs mute. With this in mind I expect to save my edited movies and gems back to tape as a master for archival purposes.

A few things I am still unsure about though is the accessories and the compatibilty of Japanese?US and Australian camcorders . Such as are the battery charger pack and AC adapter dual voltage?

I.E. Is it only the power supply and format which is different?

I also like the fact that I can get a 10.5 hour battery pack even though a bit on the expensive side at 27,000 yen is avaialable over there and not here.

I am placing the order Monday 4th October so if anyone has some last minute advice or comments for me... HURRY!

This is my first foray into video and I hope that I have made the right decision as the money is very much an issue and i will be living with it for quite a while.

Steve

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us