Samsung Camcorder to Laptop HELP

Username: Hoppy

Post Number: 1
I have a Samsung Camcorder with the HI8 I think. I have NEVER tried to transfer video.... 1st time. I have a laptop with the Windows Movie Maker -- I bought a SVideo cable (thats all I see on my camcorder) plugged it in both and I get nothing..... I KNOW I KNOW THERE MUST BE MORE THINGS TO DO, THATS WHY I AM HERE.

If I 'move' it to my laptop I can burn it to a dvd, I just dont know how to do any of it.

Thanks for helping.

Post Number: 2
more info in reading other posts... my camcorder only has the svideo plug... and I plugged it direct into my laptop. opened the movie maker program and hit capture or something and it says nothing is there...

in reading others am I going to get sound?

Post Number: 3
anyone? no post in all this time?

where does a 1st timer go?

Silver Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 600
Kris,

If all you have is a S-video connection on your camcorder then you need to get a video capture card for your PC, e.g. made by Leadtek. That allows video capture by analogue input over S-video.

Post Number: 4
So I have a new (July) laptop, HP, and it wouldn't have come with a video cap card, correct?

Will staples have this and will I be able to put it in?

Silver Member
Username: Gromit

Post Number: 602
No laptops are shipped with video capture cards built in so far as I know. And low end laptops don't even come with firewire (my own doesn't even have S-video!)

I have never heard of staples, but phone them up and tell them you need a PCMCIA video capture card (example shown at: http://www.micronica.com.au/digvis/nogatech/capturev/index.htm) then you should be OK. Probably trivial to install.

Cheers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us