I am looking for medium grade digital camera and I am confused on whats important

I am looking at Digital Video Cameras for $500-800 range. I have already have a digital camera for stills so that part is not that important although the better ones seem to have the memory cards as features anyway. I want to be able to use the camera to hook up to my computer using FireWire. (working on a PC). Now to the cameras I am already looking at:

Canon Models ZR20,25,30:
-I like the fact that they use MiniDV (compared to sony's D8).
-I like the pricing on them (I am looking at online places and there is over a $100 difference then I found in local stores). But the Canons seems to be a few dollars here or there cheaper then the Sony and they offer a $50 rebate on these Canon models. But I do have a price RANGE which means that it is not specific to one price, otherwise id already have a camera.

Then there are Sony Models DCR-TRV230,330,530:
-I like the look of it and it looks easy to use.
-Tapes are cheaper but whats a few bucks if the other brand has better features (thats a IF).
-From comparing there seems to be a few more features in the Sony products equal to that of the other brands in similar products. Such as NightShot and Analog-to-Digital conversion,
-I dont have a Hi8 camera now so being able to use the 8s in the D8 is not a big deal to me. And I feel I like MiniDV better from reading other things.

Well each time I look at them I find more Pros and Cons on each.

If anyone has any of these models or a different model from another company that compares to these please let me know what you think. Or if you just have some imput here then please respond.
Thank you in advance to anyone who does resopond.
-Shawn
ss_19_00@hotmail.com

MiniDV my friend - I'd suggest the Cannon. I've owned 2 Hi8 Sony camera's that crapped out badly... couldn't be fixed. I don't trust Sony that much anymore. I have used a VX-1000 (older highish-end DV camera) and it worked well..

But for consumer grade, it'd be hard to beat the ZR20.

Anonymous
I'm moving away from Sony lines as well. They're crappy.

Derek
See http://www.camcorderinfo.com/d/Reviews.htm.

I have a panasonic pv-dv53 camcorder that uses the miniDV with a Firewire connection to my PC and I'm looking for something other than Windows Movie Maker to transfer my miniDV's ... Unless, of course, someone knows or can tell me how to use "movie maker" to make movies in "mpeg / mpg" format, instead of the standard "wmv" format used by 'movie maker'... Thank you
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us