DVD RAM vs DVD RW

Bronze Member
Username: Idealconcepts

Sacramento, CALI USA

Post Number: 22
Ok, I bought a Panasonic DVD Camcorder from Costco, haven't used it yet so it has been sitting in the kitchen cabinet for 4-5 weeks now. Finally got my lazy but to charge the battery and glimpse at the directions, was basically trying to figure out the differences with DVD RAM discs (it came with one 30 min and I bought another 60 min one) and DVD RW (I bought a 3 pack). My question is I have a general idea on what the differences are between the two, but need some direction on what is a better format to use for home movies of family, the puppy, family holiday's/get-togethers, trips/vacation? My plan was to have a few discs that I can use to store video on until I can down load to my computer and save it onto normal size DVD-R. I would like to be able to use these few discs over and over again adding and deleting video to the discs. It seems like DVD RAM would be the choice but I was able to clearly have a few questions answered when I was reading up on it.

1. Does DVD RAM need to be finalized before it is removed from the camera in order to be viewed on another device?
2. Can DVD RAM be played on a normal DVD player (the type you hook up to your Home Theater)?
3. Can DVD RAM be played on a normal DVD drive on a computer?
4. If I have video on the DVD RAM disc can I delete certain video, then add video to it?
5. Do magnets from HT Speakers or X-ray machines from Airports affect DVD RAM?
6. Is DVD RAM the best media for my situation?

Thanks in advance

Username: Dmd_camcorderdvd703e

HoChiMinh CityVietNam

Post Number: 4
DVD RAM:
One-time use, can not erase recorded content, can not re-write
DVD RW: can record/erase more than 1000 times

For your home use:
DVD RW better, more suitable

Answer you ques':
1. DVD RAM no need finalize. only DVD RW need it.
DVD player and/or on PC:
- Recorded disk must be finalized before being replayed by the dvd player.
- Recorded disk in VCR mode can not be replayed
in some dvd players ( except ones support VCR)
3. DVD RAM can be played on normal dvd drive or PC
4. DVD RAM can not be deleted and added video
5. Magnets affect DVD disk
6. The best

BR
DMD
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us