Questions about MIniDV Camcorders

flash110
Unregistered guest
Hi!, im planning to buy something to take video and if possible pictures too, mostly to see and edit in PC, first i thought about digital cameras which lately most of them come with relatively good and simple movie modes and are something cheaper, but then i started to look for camcorders since im more interested in video, specially the Mini DV format is relatively cheap (my budget is under $450) and has good quality but there are certain things which donīt convince me too much, specially the HUGE size they occupy in the harddrive and the times to transfer and edit the video, i have a few questions regarding this:

-How long does it take approximately to transfer 60m miniDV (about 13gb i read) to my PC via USB with a harddrive 7200rpm IDE?

-Once i have the 13Gb file in the harddtive how long does it take to make this file DVD friendly? i mean about 4GB

-Are there cheap Mini DV players on sale from which i could see the videos directly from the Mini DVs to the TV or transfer them to the PC instead of using the camera?

Thank you!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6605
- you don't want to use USB to transfer video

- To make it DVD friendly you need a decent video editing software. A 13GB file to 4GB takes a lot of compression. You need to put it in multiple discs. You need to learn more about video editing. Get a book and learn.

- There are no cheap mini DV players.

Anonymous

I am trying to decide which digital camcorder I want to buy. I have a Sony Vaio laptop and want something that works easy with my laptop. I am trying to decide between a Sony HC90 (or is there another Sony I should look at) and Panasonic GS250 or 150. I will be taking alot of family video and there will be many times it will be inside video. Any suggestions or should I look at the DVD camcorders?
Thanks W

Flash110
Unregistered guest
Ok, then how long does it take to transfer 13GB through a fireware port?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6702
Firewire rate is 400Mbps, max.

http://www.aver.com/products/dvm_AVerDVD_ezMaker_1394pci.shtml

Username: Flash110

Post Number: 1
Thanx that would be about 4 1/2 minutes i think, one question, why is USB port not used for this?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6729
4 1/2 minutes if your source is putting out that type of data.

Username: Aprils

Post Number: 1
Hi i have this CAnon ZR600 how can i transfer video files into my laptop it is dell inspiron B120 and what kind of Firewire should i buy? I was able to transfer the photos but can't transfer the videos, help please, thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 6820
There is only 1 kind of firewire.
Check your camcorder if it has a DV output and check your laptop if it has a firewire port also known as IEEE1394.

If you do not have any of these things, you need a video capture card.

Username: Danohio

Ohio

Post Number: 4
I you record for 60 minutes, then it takes 60 minutes to transfer via firewire; no USB.

I 13 GB file to make a DVD using Nero will take from 3 to 4 hours to encode and burn. I do all mine right before I go to bed, when I wake up...done.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us