Username: Southern_bass

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1865
whats a nice digital camcorder that also has a camera built in

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6501
there's plenty. What is your budget?

However, if you want to take still pictures, you really have to get a dedicated digital camera. If you want a 2 in one, there will be a compromise. If you want that conveninece, any old camcorder will do, that is within your budget.

Just do not get a camcorder that uses proprietary recording media or recordable DVDs.

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1866
my budget.....im wanting to keep it under $600..

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1867
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-Handycam-Camcorder-DCR-HC42-/sem/rpsm/oid/11 6664/catOid/-13063/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

what about this ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6510
Sorry Casey, I am not a big Sony camcorder fan. You have to buy all their proprietary crap and you will be forced to stick with their brand if you start doing so.

Check out what Canon and JVC have to offer. Make sure that you have a DV output so you can interface with your PC a lot easier. And buy your own video editing software, the bundled stuff they give you is not good enough.

JVC has new camcorder out that records on its own hard drive. Very convenient and very smart, you can just record and transfer direct to your PC and you don't have to worry about buying tapes.

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1872
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Canon-Camcorder-ELURA-100-/sem/rpsm/oid/144926/ca tOid/-13063/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

what about this

Gold Member

Post Number: 6523
That'll work.

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1874
so that would meet my needs for a good camcorder with digital camera too and easy to get to the computer ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6529
Yup, it's a great camcorder all in all and has the interface for your PC.

Your PC however, is another matter. Make sure that it has an IEEE1394 port or a firewire port so you can transfer movies to the PC. Also make sure that your PC has enough memory to handle the job.

Don't forget a good video editing software.

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1875
do i have to get a memory card for the camera ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6531
No you don't. Digital stills are captured on the MiniDV tape. If you want a separate memory card for digital stills, you may want to look at JVC camcorders. I can guarantee you that you will not be using the digital still pictures for as much as you think you will. They really come out crappy and just a little better than phone cameras. If you really want still pictures get a regular camera for that. It is smaller and more convenient to put in your pocket for those times when a video camera is just too much.

Why use the still camera feature when you already have a video camera on your hands?

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1876
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/JVC-Compact-Series-Camcorder-GR-D370US-/sem/rpsm/ oid/144487/catOid/-13063/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

what about this..it seems better

Gold Member

Post Number: 6537
Nope, no firewire. Pain in the rear for transferring to PC.

Get the Canon.

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1878
i didnt tell my dad about me wanting to get a new camera or anything and today he shows up with a kodak digital camera with a camcorder so im happy :-) .. very easy to connect to the pc also

Gold Member

Post Number: 6582
Well, that's cool, man! Now you just have to worry about taking pictures. Have fun with it!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us