Why Firewire? My camera came with a usb cable!

Username: Anonymous

Post Number: 2
I've been reading around and keep seeing as how one must use Firewire to transfer from DV tape to the computer. Can someone explain this and specify if this is just a preference rather than a necessity? My brand new Canon ZR600 came with a usb cable, but no firewire cable. The camera does have both ports,but I'd really like to be able to get the movies I take onto my computer without going the firewire route. Those cables are outrageously priced, and on top of that, my desktop has a 6 wire firewire port and my laptop has a 4 wire, so I'd have to buy TWO firewire cables to be able to put movies on either.

Username: Danohio

Ohio

Post Number: 2
USB cannot properly handle the data being sent to your PC; it will be garbage at best.

You can get a Firewire card and cable for around $30.

You do not need the fancy cables you are referring to. I paid $6 for mine and it works fine.

The USB port on your camera is not meant for video, it is there for still photos.

Pick which computer you want to put the movies on. If you want it on both but do not want to buy 2 cables, put it on one, burn it, then put it on the other.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5889
Does your camera have a DV out? Most miniDV camcorders have one...that is also a firewire output. you just need a minidv out to IEEE1394 cable.

Username: Danohio

Ohio

Post Number: 3
I believe he said he does.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5957
ooops...missed that part.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help