Digital 8 recording

Anonymous
I have been told that digital 8 records in analog and then converts it to digital. I was wondering if that is this the case when using regular Hi8 tapes? Also, when using digital 8 tapes does it record the information in digital or analog and then converts it into digital?

Lee Mitchell
Digital 8 cameras use Hi-8 tapes to record in digital format. There is no such thing as "Digital 8 tape." It is merely Hi-8 that will record digitally in a digital 8 camera or as analog in a Hi-8 camera. A Digital 8 camera can also record regular 8mm tapes as digital.

A regular 8 or Hi-8 tape that was recorded as analog can be played back in a Digital 8 camera but a Hi-8 tape recorded digitally in a Digital 8 camcorder cannot be played back on a regular 8 or Hi-8 camcorder.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
I have tapes made by sony that are called digital 8 tapes, are these tapes just analog?

I am looking to buy a digital camcorder and I would like to know what the differences are between 8mm, digital8, hi8, minidv,dv,and vhs-c

Derek
8mm was Sony's first consumer small cassette video format. It was slightly sharper than VHS. Hi-8 was slighly sharper still, similar to Super-VHS. 8mm and Hi-8 are analog. Digital-8 uses Mini-DV processing to record the audio and video digitally. It's main advantages are that they re-use your old 8mm tapes (if you have them). I think only Sony, Hitachi and Samsung support these formats. Although they usually have longer (real) zoom, you may as well skip all three of these and go straight to DV. The camera are smaller, are loaded with features and the prices have come down to about $100 more than the ones listed above.

VHS-C is a small VHS tape that plays in standard VCRs when used with an adapter.

See http://www.camcorderinfo.com/index.php3
and
https://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_Video/Camcorders/Camcorder_Reviews/

Hope this helps.

NO NO NO the TRACK on a D8 is DV it is as simple as that..... THEY ARE THE SAME.

Derek
Isn't that what I said?

Anonymous

I have taped a Hi-8 on analog format. I have a digital camcorder and if I play this on my camcorder, will I be able to see it through USB cable in my computer ?.....and will I be able to download the pictures to my computer ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us