Camcorder Recommendations

Username: Pinball

Manchester, NH USA

Post Number: 1
Hi everyone, I'm hoping that you guys might be able to offer me some advice. I currently run a personal website about my whale watching experiences (www.whalesightings.com). I post stories and photos (Taken with a Canon Digital Rebel 300D). This year I'm planning on adding video clips. Last season we began video recording the trips, but my camcorder is several years old so it's time for an upgrade.

I'm looking for a camera that has great video quality, great color, a good zoom, easy to use, must be able to transfer video to my PC, and reasonably priced. I'm hoping to stay around the 4500 range, but I'm willing to go higher if the quality is that good. I'm also hoping to get MiniDv as that's the type of camera I'm most familiar with.

With that said, I'm currently researching the Canon ZR600 and the Panasonic PV-GS39. Do you think that either of these would be a smart choice? Would a different camera better fit my needs? Any advice would be welcome!

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5110
My vote goes to the Canon.

But before anything else...you mentioned transfer to PC. You have to first make sure that your PC is capable of accepting video transfers. Not the other way around.

Do you have video editing software? What are your PCs capabilities? Does it have firewire? People will tell you that you can make USB2 work...you will encounter problems, I don't how many people in this forum have encountered this and yet they insist that it can work...video stream and all that hoopla. Just avoid problems in the beginning and the headache of looking for solutions. Do it right the first time.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us